1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great article. The nicest thing said about this car is that it largely maintains its road driveability. . .once you get a feel for the clutch. Between Polestar and Heico, not to mention products by Viva and IPD, there are options galore coming out to make an S60 into a true sports sedan. Volvo did a great job with the new gen S60, making vast improvements on every trim level as compared to its 1st gen counterpart trims.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That was not what I expected. I though t it would be all about the power and the engine.
But the second page is full of praise for the handling, steering, suspension setup, an
enjoyable driving experience and also noting it is a very 'streetable' setup.

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
This is a great effort by Polestar and certainly shows the capability of the platform. It would be interesting to see what level of performance could be had at M3 (or maybe a little less) prices. I don't think a mass market version needs 500 hp to be competitive...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Even with just a manual transmission, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
400hp + MT + $60k I'm in like Flint..

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I've never read such a glowing review of a Volvo car. The questions in my mind are (a) would Polestar and Volvo make the right choices when sacrificing some of this car's performance to bring the price down to C63 AMG-competing levels and (b) can Volvo bring the price down to C63 AMG-levels?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Who is offering 400 HP, AWD, MT for $60K?...?
That's a tough mark to hit. The BMW 550i is probably the closest thing out there. It has the 400 HP covered, and comes in at just over $60k, but you have to choose between AWD and MT - can't have both.

Since "IwantaS60R" didn't specify AWD, he should high tail it down to his local BMW dealer and get "in like Flint" ;)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
That's a tough mark to hit. The BMW 550i is probably the closest thing out there. It has the 400 HP covered, and comes in at just over $60k, but you have to choose between AWD and MT - can't have both.

Since "IwantaS60R" didn't specify AWD, he should high tail it down to his local BMW dealer and get "in like Flint" ;)
And I will wish him plenty of luck of finding an acceptable 550 for $60k... ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
And I will wish him plenty of luck of finding an acceptable 550 for $60k... ;)
LOL...you guys are funny :D

To be perfectly honest, I'd go for the BMW all things being equal (price, etc. - don't really need AWD in FL) BMW is a known quantity in terms of performance, reliability and service of true performance sedans. If Volvo shows that they can make a solid, reliable sports sedan at that performance level and have a solid, COMPETENT, service department that can fully support it, then maybe we can talk apples to apples on this one. Until then, Volvo will have to give me some incentive to buy into that, sorry. $60k comes in a little less than the competitors which would be my incentive, at least the obvious one and I'm willing to give them a shot too.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Clearly not, that 550i weighs in at over 4100 pounds!!! While the X60 Polestar weighs in at about 3550 pounds.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
LOL...you guys are funny :D

To be perfectly honest, I'd go for the BMW all things being equal (price, etc. - don't really need AWD in FL) BMW is a known quantity in terms of performance, reliability and service of true performance sedans. If Volvo shows that they can make a solid, reliable sports sedan at that performance level and have a solid, COMPETENT, service department that can fully support it, then maybe we can talk apples to apples on this one. Until then, Volvo will have to give me some incentive to buy into that, sorry. $60k comes in a little less than the competitors which would be my incentive, at least the obvious one and I'm willing to give them a shot too.
While BMW has long been the benchmark for performance sedans, the current 5-Series, in attempt to be as luxurious as its rivals (Remember BMW used to be sportier than its rivals but not as luxurious) has lost its signature "sporty-ness" and by no means are they very reliable. Audi is now king of having one of the best mixes of sports car driving dynamics while having the benchmark interior at the cost of horrid (Well, VW group in general) reliability. Volvo and Mercedes Benz have been switching spots for 10th place in most reliable auto maker and as of late Volvo has that spot. The other europeans are either average, or in Jaguar/Land Rover/Audi/VW's case, always breaking down (though their excellent customer service usally helps ease the annoyance of taking your car to the dealer constantly).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Clearly not, that 550i weighs in at over 4100 pounds!!! While the X60 Polestar weighs in at about 3550 pounds.
You're being generous - the 550i actually weighs in at over 4300 pounds. But despite that, the flabby luxobarge still has 52/48 weight distribution, and knows its way around corners.

Not sporty enough? Anyone can go down to their dealer today and pick up a truly killer M5 for under $100k that will run circles around nearly anything on the road.

As much as I'd love to see a mass market Volvo that can play in the same league, it just ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
....and you really think a production version of the Polestar s60 would remain at 3550? A street production version would come in at least 3900 lbs. Still less than the 4300 lbs of the rather portly BMW but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the polestar would be at 3550 for the prod version. Still, with the weight the BMW handles great and performs pretty well too. 5.0 0 - 60 is still pretty nimble. In any event, I would love to see a polestar s60 in production but just not going to pay M3 money for the first incarnation of it, sorry.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
....and you really think a production version of the Polestar s60 would remain at 3550? A street production version would come in at least 3900 lbs. Still less than the 4300 lbs of the rather portly BMW but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the polestar would be at 3550 for the prod version. Still, with the weight the BMW handles great and performs pretty well too. 5.0 0 - 60 is still pretty nimble. In any event, I would love to see a polestar s60 in production but just not going to pay M3 money for the first incarnation of it, sorry.
I'm not saying that the BMW is crap at handling or anything, I'm just saying that it's not ideal for spirited driving, nor BMW's best attempt for around the same money. But in anycase what are you on about the Volvo gaining weight!? As long as it keeps its transmission it keeps the reduced weight, Polestar didn't take ANYTHING away when making the S60 Polestar they only shaved weight via a lighter 6-speed transmission. Even the regular S60 R-Design doesn't weight more than 3800 pounds so there's no reason to assume it will magically gain 400 pounds. And remind me again why you wouldn't pay M3 money for something that will absolutely slaughter the M3? And IF you still wouldn't remind me again why you're even bothering to reply to my comments instead of posting all over the abundant M3 forums of how much you wouldn't pay for this Volvo.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
In addition to the transmission: "The front fenders are molded in carbon fiber, as are both bumpers."
I bet the two piece rotors and brake calipers save some weight. I was surprised to see the AC compressor
in the engine bay photos -- thought they would have removed it for weight savings. Looks like there is no
sunroof. Exhaust might be lighter/fewer components. Maybe they can use the extra weight savings to add
a big subwoofer in back :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
5.0 0 - 60 is still pretty nimble.
Nimble, yes, but if you've been in a car that hits 60 in closer to 4.0 seconds you know that there is an absolutely massive difference between these two that the numbers on paper can't even hope to represent clearly.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts