SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor trend posted some new rumor info on volvo.

Sounds like a lot of speculation....hybrid s60 or xc60 by 2014? Hardly, but I hope it's true.

The xc90 part wasn't news. It's supposed to be the first in the new platform...new s80 coming around 2015 with an xc70 redesign around the corner. My gut feeling is s80 and xc70 need to come before the s60/xc60 updates...those guys will be quite long in the tooth by then, although some new engines next all could help them in the meantme.

They speculate on some future hot hatch which I think is a joke...if we didn't get the v40 I doubt well get anything smaller and more niche.

Finally c70 replacement coming but in a few years.

Take home message seems to be: no big change...Volvo will get some new stuff here by starting around 2014 , potential xc40 and with updated xc60/s60 engines, followed by xc90, then s80, c70, and xc70....

http://wot.motortrend.com/volvo-s60-hybrid-xc90-suv-with-more-premium-design-on-the-way-243259.html

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well this seems to closely match the buzz going around. The addition of the hybrid powertrains should coincide with major facelifts of the S60/XC60 for 2014 sometime and the S80/XC70 will receive facelifts for the 2014 model year. Production of the SPA XC90 begins January 2014.

Some have mentioned that North American V40/XC40 availability may coincide with the introduction of the Volvo engines replacing the Ford engines. We shall see I guess.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Volvo could team up with a China-based auto maker and put together a mid-sized awd wagon with 4-cylinder turbo diesel at 3,000lb, $30,000 and legal in all markets.

Make mine white.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A re-styled and up-dated 245 with RWD and optional rear-biased AWD would fit the bill ... as long as it has the same cargo capacity and tailgate dimensions as the 145s and 245s. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
A re-styled and up-dated 245 with RWD and optional rear-biased AWD would fit the bill ... as long as it has the same cargo capacity and tailgate dimensions as the 145s and 245s. :)
Yes, yes, yes please! I totally agree. Also Volvo should do a premium Amazon 4 door, but retro. That was a beautiful car in its day.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'd hate for the 2.5 liter T5 to go away... I hope it just gets redesigned because that engine has so much character and does have the potential to get great MPGs, I'd hate for Volvo to start using Ford's EcoBoost 4 cyl because of their sharp drop off of power at 5K RPM and lack of soul for marginal MPG gains.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Volvo's use of the Ford-Volvo co-developed (and Mazda for some) 'Ecoboost' range will be a short lived affair of 2-3 years with Volvo's own new 4 cylinders coming in 2013-2014.

That range will also spawn 1-1.2 litre 3 cylinder engines.

Higher performance 4 cylinders will also be coupled to a hybrid setup akin to the V60 hybrid giving at leasrt matching performance of todays 3.0 T6.

I personally feel there is still room for retention of a 5 cylinder, especially as DI alongside a SI6 also as DI. Both have already been developed.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Higher performance 4 cylinders will also be coupled to a hybrid setup akin to the V60 hybrid giving at leasrt matching performance of todays 3.0 T6.
That set up will make people forget about the T6...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Doubtful
M/T just came out with an article about on the new, blue Polestar 6 cly 500 hp S60 (the real) R!
New issue, got it yesterrday

1 - 9 of 9 Posts