SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of the motor mounts vacuum controlled? I Ask because I saw a youtube video with a British guy changing the mounts on a D5, and the front and back were connected to vacuum tubes.

I have been having 3 issues that may be related: vibrations, low PS control at low speeds/low rpms, such as when first starting the car and when driving slow then turning into a parking space, and also the car has less power than it had in Arizona, and the max boost I have ever gotten in FL is 8.5 or so, where I had seen pressures up to 12 back there, which makes me wonder if I have a vacuum leak originating at a mount.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Not on any of the gas engines.

Check the turbo to OTE pipe coupler and the OTE to intercooler coupler for possible leaks.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will a boost leak effect the steering as well? From the time I acquired the car in Dec 09 with 91K (156K now) I have not had to replace the PS reservoir although I have replaced the cap early on which solved the leak. I have never come upon a thread here where someone has needed to replace a PS pump.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Will a boost leak effect the steering as well? From the time I acquired the car in Dec 09 with 91K (156K now) I have not had to replace the PS reservoir although I have replaced the cap early on which solved the leak. I have never come upon a thread here where someone has needed to replace a PS pump.
No.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The motor mounts are not part of the vacuum system as stated above. Most of them are just rubber, except the two hydraulic motor mounts that are on the front and back of the subframe. However at your mileage, they are all shot if they are original.

Have you tried changing your PS fluid? I would just suck it out with a turkey baster or syringe and then re-fill it with some fresh Pentosisn CHF-202.

Your boost is a bit low. Any codes? It could just be a failing TCV. My boost gauge reads about 13 psi when I floor it in my '01. Spec is 10.5 psi.

·
Registered
392 Posts
sometimes a failing vacuum pump will mess with steering sensitivity on models equipped with speed sensitive steering, they share the same circuitry IIRC, not a vacuum leak though.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The motor mounts are not part of the vacuum system as stated above. Most of them are just rubber, except the two hydraulic motor mounts that are on the front and back of the subframe. However at your mileage, they are all shot if they are original.

Have you tried changing your PS fluid? I would just suck it out with a turkey baster or syringe and then re-fill it with some fresh Pentosisn CHF-202.

Your boost is a bit low. Any codes? It could just be a failing TCV. My boost gauge reads about 13 psi when I floor it in my '01. Spec is 10.5 psi.
My hard rubber mounts have all been addressed, and I have the hydro mounts in a box waiting to be addressed. I get some vibration, but I don't think its serious enough to sap power when in 2nd or 3rd gear. I've had a MAC TCV on for about 50K mi. I've been casually looking for the PN# for that Porsche Pierson TVC that's only $22, but won't get serious about it unless this MAC is dying or I'm ready to do power upgrades.
Late last year, my PS fluid level was low, so I bought that big quart of CHF-202, and sealed it up really tight, but I've only lived in this environment for 1.5 yrs. In AZ, this stuff would last forever if sealed up tight. Out here how likely is it that moisture has corrupted that container if stored in the attached garage?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
The diesel D5 mounts are vacuum controlled, and can mess up the turbo control on the early cars , if they leak.
I have changed them on my own D5.

They don’t connect with the steering system.
Try changing the fluid, 1999 on P2 cars had green fluid.

If pre 2005 also change the fluid reservoir and feed to pump pipe.
As they have been improved.

I don’t know what year you car is.
But try the above first.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for reminding me of the simple stuff. The PS fluid was in bad shape. New CHF worked wonders. Also topped off the brake fluid b/c although it was substantially above the min mark, when I topped it, it kept "settling in" and once I got it to the max level, my clutch behavior improved considerably.
Still only maxing out at 9.5 psi boost, even with AC off and IAT only around 94F.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the car has less power than it had in Arizona, and the max boost I have ever gotten in FL is 8.5 or so, where I had seen pressures up to 12 back there.
So something happened to the V70 yesterday. My trip to/from work were uneventful, but I had to make a Facebook Marketplace run and suddenly the car livened up. Outside temps were low 80s and with AC, IATs were in the one-hundred-teens.
But even it these conditions, the car returned to being familiar.It returned to lively! Got 12 psi in 2nd, tons of acceleration and even the IPD swaybars were giving me neutral handling instead of understeer. Its like the car was in a coma for 19 months. I don't get it.
FWIW, I put ethanol-free 93 in it 7/13, but I topped it off with the normal E10 7/26 before taking it to Jacksonville, where I put more E10 from Costco before bringing it home so a total of about 700 miles passed since that tank of E0. Can't imagine that could be the solution, because in Tucson it was always E10, 91 octane, so its not like fuel here is degraded unless it comes saturated in moisture right out of the pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts