SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be finishing my motor rebuild in the next couple days and I have a few questions for those who may know more than me...

First of all, when setting the timing, because there is some free rotation in the cam pulley, do I just want to bolt my cam lock up to the cams and then slip the belt on when I have the pulley rotated to the point where it’s lined up with the mark on the cover?

2. I’ve heard from a bunch different sources that it’s either good or bad to prime the oil pump before starting the engine. Should I do it with this engine or will it pick up oil pressure on it’s own fast enough once it starts? If it’s a good idea to do it, do I just want to unplug injectors/fuel pump relay and remove spark plugs?

3. For the break in process to bed the rings in (I have new rings but used bearings) I plan on using driven BR30 break in oil from 0-200km and changing it with the same oil until 1000km and then changing to 5w-40 rotella T6 after 1000 and obviously avoiding WOT and going above 3500 in that first 1000. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do differently from what I’ve listed?

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
From what I have read: BR30/BR40 for the first 1000 miles. 1000-5000 miles conventional oil vice synthetic or synthetic blend. This was taken from Darton's website.

Sent from nunya

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Take all the plugs out and fuel pump fuse and crank it until you have oil pressure. You use engine assembly lube during the build correct?

Once you have oil pressure put the plugs in and start it, check for leaks. Best to use distilled water until you've determined you have no leaks and then add anti-freeze.

Use break in oil for the first change (500 miles) then Dino oil. I wouldn't use a heavy detergent like Rotella. Use a good quality non synthetic oil for the 1st 5000 miles and then the synthetic of your choice. You can switch over sooner if you like, but not before 1000 miles. The rings need time to seat. Heavy detergent oil will prevent the rings from seating properly, and so will using synthetic too soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I am using lucas assembly lube in the top end and I used some motor oil to coat the bearings and cylinder walls when assembling the bottom end. How will I know when the car builds oil pressure? Will the oil light go off while cranking once pressure is built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts