Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
915 Posts
None of those links work?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I REALLY hope Volvo goes through with this. It would be the best thing they could do to strengthen their brand reputation with younger buyers as the news media was absolutely all over the C30 Polestar.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The price will separate the men from the boys or the women from the girls. The Polestar will probably end up as a rare model for sure. :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~

MOTORWARD
This rather innocent-looking Volvo S60 you see above is a concept car made by Volvo’s motorsport partner Polestar. Don’t let the looks fool you though. This S60 is a complete monster powered by a heavily-tuned, turbocharged 3.0 liter straight-six engine developing 500 horsepower and 575 Nm. Obviously, this is not something Volvo would greenlight for production. Except they just might.

News coming from the Swedish car maker’s British office suggest Volvo is in serious discussion with Polestar to see if they can devise a plan to make the mad sedan.

Nick Connor, Volvo UK’s managing director tells Autocar that if they finally get around making the S60 Polestar, it will retain the concept’s powerplant and four-wheel-drive system, which means you will be able to buy a Volvo with an M3-busting zero to 60mph time of 3.9 seconds. Well, it actually eats the BMW M3 for breakfast.

A production Volvo S60 Polestar will be pricey though, very pricey. They are talking about a base price of over £100k.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will be produced, but in what quantity is not clear yet.

You can se the test-drive video here and hear the amazing sound!!

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/2012/07/05/32838/volvo-s60-polestar-provkord/
When they made the original, they admitted to having enough spare parts to build 10 more. They sold those 10 for $155k each, as people interested in the car had already snatched them up before they were made publicly for sale. Right now they are in serious talks to build more, at the same price point I presume. First come, first serve seems to be in effect, and they are selling like hot bread so I doubt we will have the opportunity to criticize THIS particular move on this pessimistic 'enthusiast' site that frowns and bit ches when we we finally get an amazing and unexpected product from our beloved Volvo makers and do the same if we don't.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Now, the $64m question is - does it qualify as a halo car? If so, I will be glad that we can leave the whole " halo car" issue behind and focus our discussion on the bread-n-butter cars that will sustain Volvo financially on the long run...

My apologies for being totally lukewarm to this amazing piece of technology...way out of league...for all apparent reasons...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
When they made the original, they admitted to having enough spare parts to build 10 more. They sold those 10 for $155k each, as people interested in the car had already snatched them up before they were made publicly for sale. Right now they are in serious talks to build more, at the same price point I presume. First come, first serve seems to be in effect, and they are selling like hot bread so I doubt we will have the opportunity to criticize THIS particular move on this pessimistic 'enthusiast' site that frowns and bit ches when we we finally get an amazing and unexpected product from our beloved Volvo makers and do the same if we don't.:thumbdown:
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I couldn't have said that last bit better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Now, the $64m question is - does it qualify as a halo car? If so, I will be glad that we can leave the whole " halo car" issue behind and focus our discussion on the bread-n-butter cars that will sustain Volvo financially on the long run...

My apologies for being totally lukewarm to this amazing piece of technology...way out of league...for all apparent reasons...
Nicely said!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You can be forgiven for being lukewarm because some people here are greatly interested in the car, its production, and its possibilities. This is the Enthusiast side that should awaken in the presence of the possibility of the Polestar Monster's creation.

In that aspect, it is by every letter of the definition, a HALO car. Will it sell in the millions? NO, maybe 2k-3k a year, but the Halo effect will come around.

Aside from the Enthusiast, there are those thinking like YOU, they are concerned for Volvo's future and see the sales skid we are on and how we are veering out of control and are upset that Volvo has invested time/money on this car when it won't sell as many cars. The reality is, Volvo is not investing, Polestar is. They want to prove their mettle and their capabilities and they just did as they have all along. I believe both the Enthusiast and the Preservationist should rejoice at this car's existence as it will eventually lift the image of VOLVO to new heights. Case in point, half of us are promoting it while the other half shoot it down and that SUCKS.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Basically the only thing asked by the many (Ex-Volvo customers) was a successor to the S60R and maybe the V70R. The current S60T6 Polestar or not doesn't fill that gap. This mainly because of the outdated gearbox used. To make it even simpler, what was asked was a manual transmission option for the S60T6 and maybe a couple of HP over the current Polestar offering. Is that to much to ask? It isn't a certification thing, it is plain and simple Volvo not wanting to build that car. Why go for this super car S60 then? If you drop 80k in a stock T6 you can get yourself a super car S60 and maybe some more. Polestar isn't the only one knowing how to build a fast car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The image of Volvo isn't producing a car of this ilk. They would be better to do a limited edition run of the Polestar model to gauge reaction and then see what to do in the future. If this is a high performance car, it has to fit Volvo's current brief of being fuel efficient. Anything less and it won't get built.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well today I read in autocar UK magazine that the Polestar S60 is to go into production.
WHERE!??!!? I only saw an article stating that Volvo was seriously considering putting the S60 into production!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WHERE!??!!? I only saw an article stating that Volvo was seriously considering putting the S60 into production!
Adrian, I believe at least two of the links at the top say they are serious :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts