1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
*If* it really happens, and *if* they're actually brought to the US, that will be one rare sedan. I probably have more fingers and toes than there are US buyers willing to fork out $155k for a Volvo sedan, no matter how impressive it sounds on paper.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*If* it really happens, and *if* they're actually brought to the US, that will be one rare sedan. I probably have more fingers and toes than there are US buyers willing to fork out $155k for a Volvo sedan, no matter how impressive it sounds on paper.
This whole process comes in steps,

First the concept $300,000
Then the limited run $155,000
Then (hopefully) a final product that is meant to truly challenge the M and AMG branches hopefully priced between $60,000 (440 HP maybe?) and $85,000 (508 HP).

Either way, I doubt Volvo will have any of these sitting in a lot anywhere, I am sure real demand for the $155,000 version will surpass supply. As it should.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To put this in perspective, let's look at what you can head down to your local dealer and buy today.

The new $90,000 M5 has 560hp and rockets from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. $155,000 will buy you both that M5 *and* an M3 on the side as a track car. Or you could choose a 518hp E63 *and* a 451hp C63 for that price if you prefer the three-pointed-star. Let's also not forget the 556hp CTS-V available for a bargain basement $65k in sedan, coupe, and even WAGON form.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see a glimmer of a soul returning to Volvo, but the limited-volume high-performance market is even tougher to play in than the markets where Volvo is already struggling.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new $90,000 M5 has 560hp and rockets from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. $155,000 will buy you both that M5 *and* an M3 on the side as a track car. Or you could choose a 518hp E63 *and* a 451hp C63 for that price if you prefer the three-pointed-star. Let's also not forget the 556hp CTS-V available for a bargain basement $65k in sedan, coupe, and even WAGON form.
Oh, there is no doubt you can get better, more valuable things for $155,000, even a GT-R and an M3 for 155, no doubt. However this is a limited run car, and there are people who would pay that much money to have something exclusive and unique. They aren't trying to make big bucks off of it, just gauge market response, POSSIBLY to pave the way for a true production car that no one can price out at the moment. 155k is not going to be the price the car will have in the show room when the real product comes in the future, like you said, you can buy better things with that kind of money already.

By the way, the Polestar S60 is 0-62 mph in 3.9 seconds (due to the measuring being done originally in 0-100 KMpH) which figures to 3.77 seconds in 0-60 time. The M5 claims 4.1 seconds and we all know it is faster than that, perhaps the Polestar is too, who knows?

·
Registered
372 Posts
My '12 S60 T5 is a fun & practical commuter vehicle...but a $155K Volvo is a silly notion...even a $75K Volvo is a stretch! Just look at Volvo's current sales numbers...based on those numbers....they have other pressing priorities...developing vehicles in a niche where they have limited experience...would seem to very poor business choice.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My '12 S60 T5 is a fun & practical commuter vehicle...but a $155K Volvo is a silly notion...even a $75K Volvo is a stretch! Just look at Volvo's current sales numbers...based on those numbers....they have other pressing priorities...developing vehicles in a niche where they have limited experience...would seem to very poor business choice.
Again, yes, a $155k Volvo is costly, and nobody but the most interested of buyers and enthusiasts would buy it which is why their scheme to build millions will fai.... oh yes, it is a LIMITED run only for people who have already shown interest (these people DO exist).

Like I said before, $75k is closer to what I think we will get from all of this, and NO, it is not a stretch as it would be a superior offer as to what the competition has while still undercutting them in price due to the unfortunate reality that Volvo is not at a level of 'premium-ness' (if you will) that it requires to charge more for its products (as well as other obvious factors). If you think $75k is too much for a car like this then I think it is safe to say you don't classify Volvo as a Premium/Near-Premium car company and believe it should compete with Acura or Volkswagen.

Also, as every story tells, Volvo is NOT developing this car, POLESTAR did and with their own money (And Mr. Jay Leno's $300,000) so the argument is irrelevant and quite the opposite is true as Polestar has a decade of experience with VERY good results. Business-wise, capturing the attention and interest of performance minded customers is exactly what Volvo needs. A car like this could finally justify the 'Naughty' claim and hopefully coin a new term for it.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Here's why it's worth the price. BECAUSE IT'S A VOLVO THAT WILL KILL AN M5/M3!!!! A Volvo!!! When has Volvo EVER made something that would, off the bat, murder BMW's best M cars? S60R? That was close, but 30 HP too weak. I'd pay for it in a heartbeat. The look on people's faces is worth every single penny. And besides, IF you have 150K to throw around, do you really care about which is better value?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's why it's worth the price. BECAUSE IT'S A VOLVO THAT WILL KILL AN M5/M3!!!! A Volvo!!! When has Volvo EVER made something that would, off the bat, murder BMW's best M cars? S60R? That was close, but 30 HP too weak. I'd pay for it in a heartbeat. The look on people's faces is worth every single penny. And besides, IF you have 150K to throw around, do you really care about which is better value?
Exactly. At its current price of $150k there is no use in talking about value because it is an amazing product that is being sold as it is being bought, they are only building as many as are being sold at that price. The future price will be adjusted accordingly but don't look to Volvo to be trying to squeeze serious bucks out of these amazing S60's. If I had that kind of money, of course I would buy it. I could just just wait for the real thing to come out, but it may never come out so I wouldn't wait.

Understated power and sleeper like speed? Exactly what would amaze a person in real life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts