SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to fix this for a few years.

Oil seems to spray only while driving from the turbo area. The turbo is dry just around the return line and behind underneath the car is oily, I've had it on a lift and nothing. I'm about to take it to Volvo but didn't want to spend all the $$ when I can do it if I know what it is.

I replaced the return line upper gasket and lower o ring
I replaced the oil cooler o rings. And the dipstick o ring

I see some slight oil at the bottom of the return line from the turbo to oil pan so I'm wondering if that o ring wasn't done correctly but I thought it was

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Check out my thread about the turbo oil feed line (not the drain line) that goes to the block from the top of the turbo. It's got a crush washer, but it was leaking on mine and it was damn hard to see without a camera and/or flashlight, but would drip oil down the block and make everythign (cooler and drain tube) else look wet. The only other thing it could be would be the coolant lines that run in the turbo - if it drops and it goes away after a day then it's the coolant lines to the turbo that are leaking, but if not, and you've check the oil drain line from the turbo to the pan, then it's going to be the feed line.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine doesn't leave a spot on the driveway

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the pressure feed line

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
The oil return (drain) pipe will spray oil up & over everything if the oring seal is cocked/deformed. The pressure feed line will rapidly drain the motor, since it's feed basically off the oil pump galley.
Mine oil feed line didn't, it had a slow drip and when I parked it in the garage, it left a quarter or so drop of oil on the ground afterwards - but yes, it'll easily pump out a quart in less than 20 seconds. I was losing a quart every 2 weeks at the drip rate. Of course then I pulled the banjo bolt to fix it and it out come some threads since some jackass decided to tighten it more to fix it rather than replacing the crushwashers.

Check the sticky how to thread at the top section - there's a sticky in there for turbo oil feed line crush washer replacement - in there i put a ton of photos showing location. Remember the movie Serenity when Mr. Universe says he has a backup system in the basement, over the generator, hard to get to? Hard to get to is right. I'm 6'1 and I couldn't reach it from the top of the engine going around back, I had to jack it up and take off a wheel/fenderwell to get to it.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?266553

There's the link to the photos and locations. If it's oil - unless it's your oil pan seal to the crankcase itself, this is the only other spot oil can come out of on the backside.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car doesn't drip oil, we had it on a lift before and nothing.

Maybe I installed the oil return line o ring wrong

1 - 7 of 7 Posts