SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

After feeling really good about the car again, it's trying to give me a stroke. My wife called me and said the CEL came on the other day. I pulled the codes and found P0171 for lean condition. I assumed it was a vacuum leak or dirty MAF (and it still may be). Yesterday, she told me it was making a squeaking noise while it was running.

I'll try to give all the information I can here.

2015 V60 Drive-E 2.0. About 80k, I think.

So, when you tap the throttle the noise goes away. If you give it gas and hold a higher RPM, it comes back. It doesn't increase with speed. I'm guessing there's a vacuum leak around there somewhere and it's amplified inside the timing cover. Any ideas? I have yet to jack the car up and look under. Where is the recirc valve located on this car?

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nver9VLmAME

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Its your PCV oil trap. If you pull the oil cap while its running the squealing noise usually stops and there is strong vacuum in the crankcase.
The squealing noise is air rushing past the cam seals.
The PCV box is the black box on top of the engine. Super easy to replace with just a few 8mm bolts. You'll need to transfer the fuel line/evap line clips and the oil cap onto the replacement.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense. Thanks. Should I replace it with the updated part? If I do, would I need the software update or should it function ok without it?

Current:

Updated:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks. Should I replace it with the updated part? If I do, would I need the software update or should it function ok without it?
Its possible there is a ECM Software Upgrade available but its not needed when replacing the box. You will need to clear the fault AND reset fuel adaptions. If you have VIDA its in there under ECM vehicle communication in the Advanced tab. If no VIDA just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and that will clear adaptions. The only part available is the updated part.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'll call the dealership first thing on Monday to get the part. I don't have VIDA, yet, but it's going to happen.

Also, I had to change the rear pads this morning. WHY didn't Volvo put a pad sensor on these vehicles????? BMW was doing this back in the 90s.

Its possible there is a ECM Software Upgrade available but its not needed when replacing the box. You will need to clear the fault AND reset fuel adaptions. If you have VIDA its in there under ECM vehicle communication in the Advanced tab. If no VIDA just disconnect the battery for a few minutes and that will clear adaptions. The only part available is the updated part.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll call the dealership first thing on Monday to get the part. I don't have VIDA, yet, but it's going to happen.

Also, I had to change the rear pads this morning. WHY didn't Volvo put a pad sensor on these vehicles????? BMW was doing this back in the 90s.
Because BMW service intervals are 15K miles and the likelihood of the brakes not getting checked as often. Although, the German's have been using sensors for decades.
It really boils down to added cost of the vehicle and another cost during replacement. It can raise the "Cost of Maintenance" numbers higher. Besides, Volvo brakes can be squeal happy without a sensor, adding a sensor will add even more noises. I've worked for BMW and the sensors will make brakes squeal at times even if they are not low.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just had this happen a couple of weeks ago to my 2015.5 V60 drive-e, 61k miles. Couldn't figure out what that whistling sound could be -- mechanic removed the oil cap and the sound went away.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Because BMW service intervals are 15K miles and the likelihood of the brakes not getting checked as often. Although, the German's have been using sensors for decades.
It really boils down to added cost of the vehicle and another cost during replacement. It can raise the "Cost of Maintenance" numbers higher. Besides, Volvo brakes can be squeal happy without a sensor, adding a sensor will add even more noises. I've worked for BMW and the sensors will make brakes squeal at times even if they are not low.
Additionally, gentle braking over time can glaze the pads which increases the likelihood of brake squeal. I believe it was Click & Clack who suggested that if you don't spill your coffee at least once a week while braking, you're not braking hard enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the oil trap last night. It seems as though that's fixed the noise. I cleared my CEL, but it comes back on after about 2 miles. I don't see any obvious vacuum leaks from the top. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Been following this thread because I get an intermittent P0171 due to a small vacuum leak. CEL will come on for a few days once a month or so. I narrowed it down to a vacuum leak while monitoring my live fuel trims while driving (Bluetooth OBD reader - I use BlueDriver). If RPMs are above idle then trims are within spec, at idle a spike in lean condition compensation happens which indicates a leak that the vacuum produced at idle can't overcome.

I mention all of this because since my leak is intermittent I know it's not likely a hose leak (that wouldn't fix itself) but if you could determine your leak is constant it may be a hose, connection, or bad check valve (I believe there's one going to the brake booster) that could have been compromised whole the system was out of whack. Which is why the sound was resolved but a small leak may still remain.

Also, I believe it takes several drive cycles for trims to recalibrate - a cycle is something like 3 driving sessions where you reach a minimum speed and drive for a certain amount of time. See what happens after a few days of driving.

'15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I replaced the oil trap last night. It seems as though that's fixed the noise. I cleared my CEL, but it comes back on after about 2 miles. I don't see any obvious vacuum leaks from the top. Any suggestions?
Did you follow my instructions in post #4. Simply clearing the the fault DOES NOT reset fuel adaptions. You will need to do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, it'd been a week. I forgot to disconnect the battery. That being said, the code is gone, now. Thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts