SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though some people reported to the contrary, I am seeing more street names with the new map update. Indeed at different zoom levels I get even more street names.

It feels like the street names are part of the map image, as you drive the names of streets you are driving parallel to come and go...

Thanks Volvo.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Very glad to hear this. You have to upload your pictures to somewhere like Picasaweb.google.com and then you click the little "insert image" icon and paste the url for the image. I usually have the image up on the screen in one tab of my browser and (for Picasa, which I use) there is a "link to this picture" item which shows the URL you can cut and paste, or in the Google Chrome web browser I can just right click on the picture itself and choose "Copy Image URL" and paste that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Even though some people reported to the contrary, I am seeing more street names with the new map update. Indeed at different zoom levels I get even more street names.

It feels like the street names are part of the map image, as you drive the names of streets you are driving parallel to come and go...

Thanks Volvo.
I wanted to ask people what they do with the DVDs after the update. Keep 'em? Chuck 'em?

Is there any reason to keep them? They can't be reloaded, can they?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have to concur with this. Uploaded the new maps (took less than the 5 hours that the documentation predicted) and yes I think that street names are more useful than before.

As to keeping the DVDs, probably the only reason to keep them would be if for some reason you had to re-install. But seems to me with the level of Volvo software you would be in much deeper trouble if you have to do that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I wanted to ask people what they do with the DVDs after the update. Keep 'em? Chuck 'em?

Is there any reason to keep them? They can't be reloaded, can they?
I would keep them in case you had to have the head unit replaced. It may not come with updated map software.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How do you guys go about getting the update for the maps? Is there a charge for the DVD? Who do I contact? I bought a CPO XC60 a couple months back and this was not talked about by the salesperson. Thx

A picture of the additional street names/detail would be appreciated. I am looking to get enter info on what the cross streets and side streets are for my area.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Thanks Volvo.
There has been such a HUGE discussion on street names here. What map version do you have? Where did you get the upgrade? I just had nav installed last week and my version was the same as another poster here and he had had his for awhile. You would think new units would come loaded with the most recent versions :confused:

·
Registered
606 Posts
How do you guys go about getting the update for the maps? Is there a charge for the DVD? Who do I contact? I bought a CPO XC60 a couple months back and this was not talked about by the salesperson. Thx

A picture of the additional street names/detail would be appreciated. I am looking to get enter info on what the cross streets and side streets are for my area.
With the owners manual you get a card to register with Navteq online. You are entitled to 2 free yearly map updates. I don't know if they are triggered by the car purchase date or the Navteq release date. I got my XC60 at the beginning of May 2011 and got my first map update this last Monday.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

cue-san, what year is your XC60?

arowens54...different animal, I know; but our first update on the '11 C70 nav came within a very few weeks of our purchase. Don't know how long it had been out, but I was pretty surprised at the very early arrival.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Completed my map upgrade on top of Sensus 3.0 and unfortunately I see no difference in the number of street names presented when all POIs are off.:( Zooming in still does not cause the street names to move closer to center to be displayed especially with cross streets. Zoomed all the way in I frequently see zero or 1 name when there is obviously plenty of screen space to display. Even with 3.0 and the map upgrade the Nav system is still the single most disappointing feature. My old $120 Garmin with 25% of the screen area still does a much better job in this area.

·
Registered
142 Posts
cue-san, what year is your XC60?

arowens54...different animal, I know; but our first update on the '11 C70 nav came within a very few weeks of our purchase. Don't know how long it had been out, but I was pretty surprised at the very early arrival.

Coach, it is a 2011.5. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the pictures. I hope the https links work. I have Software Version 0997 and Map Version 30.11.02.

·
Registered
837 Posts
All - which map mode are you guys running...I think there is a 2D and a 3D mode. I think caspamca is showing the 2d version and I bet most of us are running the "cooler looking" (but perhaps less functional) 3d mode.

·
Registered
606 Posts
All - which map mode are you guys running...I think there is a 2D and a 3D mode. I think caspamca is showing the 2d version and I bet most of us are running the "cooler looking" (but perhaps less functional) 3d mode.
It turns out that you appear to be correct. Changing to 2D mode significantly increases the number of street names shown. I am not sure if this is a function of the map update as I never have run in 2D mode. Looks like I am going to be using it. :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't daily drive our XC60 (wife's ride), but isn't there a split screen mode of some kind - can you have 2D in one and 3D in the other (or am I just dreaming that).

·
Registered
222 Posts
It turns out that you appear to be correct. Changing to 2D mode significantly increases the number of street names shown. I am not sure if this is a function of the map update as I never have run in 2D mode. Looks like I am going to be using it. :(
I wondered what everyone was talking about because I never use 3D mode. And, to the amusement of the other drivers in my household, I insist on keeping north at the top. It may be old school, but I find it easier than any other view.

BTW, even in map-facing-north mode Sensus displays far fewer street names than iDrive. And you have to be at a scale of 1/4 mile or less to get even those.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2D vs 3D.. .that could explain a bunch. I have never used the 2D view. Will have to try that and see if I get more names in the current map version that I have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts