SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive already experienced the joy of needing to replace my 4-c struts and did so all around with the Monroe’s a few years back.

My “modern collectors vehicle” is an 05 m6 that is not my daily driver however I have still been attempting to maintain it as such.

My warning light came on, and I’ve traced it back to the front driver strut.

The wiring that comes from the strut has been ripped off somehow.

The question is::: Has anyone worked to replace the wiring on the strut in a similar situation? I couldn’t imagine it’s some special type of wiring beyond power and ground??

OR does anyone have an old one I can buy?? Would love to not keep throwing new parts at this for it to just sit in my driveway.

Not trying to sell the whole car, but would entertain selling it as well if there’s someone out there that loves it as much as I do.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge 🙏🏽

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it doesn't have that many miles I think it would make more sense to try and repair it. As far as I know it is only two wires as you said. Most commonly sold one's are from part outs with high mileage and it wouldn't make sense to use one with higher miles and unknown history as far as how it was used and what kind of condition roads it was driven on, potholes it encountered, etc., paired with your lower mileage one. If you can tell exactly where it's been ripped off you can just solder some new wiring together, test drive, and then wrap in electrical tape or heat shrink wrap or some combination of both and call it a day. Is it possible some small critter got to it and chewed through the wiring?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Would be much easier to simply fix the wiring. Dunno how doable that is, given that there's not too many non violent ways to tear wiring.... Did it get caught and wound up in an axle somehow? Snagged, then torn upon articulation?

If ya can't figure out a wiring fix, i got a used Monroe that's not totally beat to crap. Apparently, PO of my R replaced one single strut, then left the opposing side original. When i got the car, the original with 160k on it was super blown and dead. Like a logical person, i replaced both front struts and found the still serviceable Monroe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts