SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, fyi, just got off the phone with Monroe, and they have obsoleted the C2501 and C1501's for our cars. Again. No warranty on the one you got unless whoever you got them from has another set.

Bought them at rockauto years ago, but now are NLA and they show a return offer but I doubt they'll pay? (Anyone?)

I feel like invoicing Monroe for their worthless "warranty" and the hours spent trying to track down a way to get them warrantied instead of having to shell out another $1000+ on struts that SHOULD BE COVERED BY THEIR OWN WARRANTY.

FCP has them in stock, (but won't warranty ant they don't sell) but honestly if Monroe isn't going to take care of them anyway, I'll just go to coilovers and be Monroe be damned.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the best excuse for Bilstein HD’s with 4C delete I’ve ever seen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All except having the extra grand laying around to throw at it right now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hadn't even really considered warranty when buying them, so does this mean that there will be no replacement 4C shocks available once the stores sell the existing stocks - or have they superseded them with a new model ?
That will certainly change the conversations in this page over the next few years !

·
Registered
134 Posts
You know this does present a question. Can the 4c suspension not be rebuilt? If they do get completely sold out everywhere, that might be the only option people that want to keep the 4c suspension (such as myself).

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know this does present a question. Can the 4c suspension not be rebuilt? If they do get completely sold out everywhere, that might be the only option people that want to keep the 4c suspension (such as myself).
I was told the Monroes can't be rebuilt, I asked when I swapped the set on my XC70 a while back and found out how much I was up for.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
they are gonna have to be rebuilt now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What’s the shelf life of shocks/struts? I’ve never really thought about it, but I’d hate to buy a spare set, put them on the shelf and find that the oil or nitrogen has leaked in the 10 years of storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Was there a manufacturing defect warranting a warranty replacement?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What’s the shelf life of shocks/struts? I’ve never really thought about it, but I’d hate to buy a spare set, put them on the shelf and find that the oil or nitrogen has leaked in the 10 years of storage.

I wouldn't keep them over 2 or 3 years. From experience running an auto parts store back in the day.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was there a manufacturing defect warranting a warranty replacement?

No, just worn out. That said, Monroe published warranty explicitly covers that.

I suspect they are running a batch every year or two for Volvo, but they decided to get out of it.

They did not indicate a number change, and I explicitly asked about that.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
No, just worn out. That said, Monroe published warranty explicitly covers that.

I suspect they are running a batch every year or two for Volvo, but they decided to get out of it.

They did not indicate a number change, and I explicitly asked about that.

So if monroe offered a warranty that covered worn out shocks and struts then why wouldn't everyone have had them replaced under that warranty? Can’t believe they would warrant a wear part like that Past a few years.

Well the do have a limited lifetime warranty. I guess good luck getting a replacement.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/resource-center/limited-lifetime-warranty/

Anyway I am happy I 4C deleted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I was told the Monroes can't be rebuilt, I asked when I swapped the set on my XC70 a while back and found out how much I was up for.
I wouldn't have even thought about rebuilding mine given the condition of them when I took them off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wonder where that will leave people who buy off FCP Euro, I guess they'll have some policy that covers them when a part is discontinued

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think volvo still has 4c shocks made by some manufacturer since it seems you can buy Monroe 4c or oem volvo 4c from fpc I just bought oem volvo ones from them not too long ago.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wonder where that will leave people who buy off FCP Euro, I guess they'll have some policy that covers them when a part is discontinued
Lifetime warranty. I have front and backs. They should compensate with a replacement value. Then I’ll do the bypass with Bilsteins and sensor bypass like dougy and others. I loved them in my 744 and 945TI’s.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Just an FYI. KW makes 4C shocks... just not specifically for the R, they make them for the Focus RS. And it’s the same. So presumably if enough people wanted KW 4C they’d actually make them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think volvo still has 4c shocks made by some manufacturer since it seems you can buy Monroe 4c or oem volvo 4c from fpc I just bought oem volvo ones from them not too long ago.
From everything I have read in the 13 years I've owned my VR, Monroe makes the Volvo branded shocks.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts