SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and replaced my 4C Monroe shocks and struts about 18 months ago. The last couple of weeks, I've noticed the driver's rear shock clunks and a noticeably more bounce going on in the rear left corner while going down the road. I took the shock/spring assy. out last weekend and removed the spring. I compressed the shock and noticed no real rebound going on, although it did take some manual pressure to withdraw the shaft. I re-installed hoping the re-assembly would eliminate the clunking noise and all would be better. NOT!!! I have already replaced both sway bar links and checked and tightened all rear suspension mounting points, with no improvement. Even took out the spare tire/jack assy without improvement. Has anyone ever had a shock failure occur on these Monroe 4C shocks? Fortunately, I purchased these from FCP and I can go thru the Lifetime Warranty process. Unfortunately, I have to first purchase the shock at almost $400 and then send the suspected faulty shock back to FCP hoping that they will authorize re-imbursement. Looking for any comments, guidance or ideas from any of you out there. Thanks for you input...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What you describe is a "blown strut". Yeah, some hassle, but it needs replacing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought and replaced my 4C Monroe shocks and struts about 18 months ago. The last couple of weeks, I've noticed the driver's rear shock clunks and a noticeably more bounce going on in the rear left corner while going down the road. I took the shock/spring assy. out last weekend and removed the spring. I compressed the shock and noticed no real rebound going on, although it did take some manual pressure to withdraw the shaft. I re-installed hoping the re-assembly would eliminate the clunking noise and all would be better. NOT!!! I have already replaced both sway bar links and checked and tightened all rear suspension mounting points, with no improvement. Even took out the spare tire/jack assy without improvement. Has anyone ever had a shock failure occur on these Monroe 4C shocks? Fortunately, I purchased these from FCP and I can go thru the Lifetime Warranty process. Unfortunately, I have to first purchase the shock at almost $400 and then send the suspected faulty shock back to FCP hoping that they will authorize re-imbursement. Looking for any comments, guidance or ideas from any of you out there. Thanks for you input...
This is very good to know about the" FCP lifetime warranty "on their parts . I never like it when the seller determines whether it was customer abuse or manufacturing failure , lifetime warranty should mean no questions asked ! If it's bad it should just be replaced. Lifetime warranty should really be looked at carefully . Will you also have to pay the shipping cost both ways also ? Not sure if nearly double the price it worth the lifetime warranty ?
Thanks for your info

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pickle King-Here is the Warranty/Return clause from FCP:Warranty Parts / Broken Parts Return: Regardless of age, if you are not satisfied for any reason, simply return it for a refund or replacement. After 90 days from original purchase, refunds will be issued in the form of a non expiring store credit. You may return parts of kits if it is a warranty return.

Stealthy 60R-When I removed the Shock/Spring Assy. last weekend, I removed the Upper Shock Mount and the rubber looked well-no cracks or evidence of degradation. The fact that the affected side feels loosey/goosey reinforces my suspicion of a blown shock. No oil seepage or leakage seen. I have some concern about not having a matched new pair of rear shocks. It is a "daily driver" and not a track racer though. I'll probably have to fire up my VIDA/Dice and do a SUM Calibration after install of the replacement shock though. Right?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Pickle King-Here is the Warranty/Return clause from FCP:Warranty Parts / Broken Parts Return: Regardless of age, if you are not satisfied for any reason, simply return it for a refund or replacement. After 90 days from original purchase, refunds will be issued in the form of a non expiring store credit. You may return parts of kits if it is a warranty return.
lol....I knew there was a catch. you have to buy first, then they give you store credit....but not credited back to the last purchase. basically you get forced into a revolving account.

I think it is bizarre any company would warranty consumable parts.....hell even Volvo's lifetime parts warranty doesn't cover consumable parts. But I guess that's why you pay on avg of 20% more compared to everywhere else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts