SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share with you what I upgraded my car with.
I purchasing a brand new set of 21 inch Inscription wheels for my 2018 Momentum.
Overall I love the way it looks and I’ve got to say driving characteristics have not been affected much. Steering feels slightly better if I may say.

I ceramic coated the wheels so hopefully they will stay clean for a little longer.

I’m still debating whether or not to upgrade the wheel arches or to keep these (Inscription has slightly wider ones). Not having inscription wheel arches means that the car looks really aggressive kind of as if it had spacers. If I put the wheel arches on I’m afraid it will look a bit plain again. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Overall I love the way it looks and I’ve got to say driving characteristics have not been affected much. Steering feels slightly better if I may say.
Curious, is this with air or standard suspension?

Not having inscription wheel arches means that the car looks really aggressive kind of as if it had spacers. If I put the wheel arches on I’m afraid it will look a bit plain again.
Instead of the larger wheel arch, perhaps having mudflaps would be useful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks great, big improvement.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is with standard suspension. The picture was taken as soon as I lowered the car from the Jack so it hasn’t settled. I will take a picture in a little bit and post

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The slightly spacer'd appearance is far better. No need to add the wheel arch extensions.
American laws prevent OEM's from selling cars with wheels that meet or stick out past the body line. So they play it safe and tuck the wheels way under, which is a look I detest.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The slightly spacer'd appearance is far better. No need to add the wheel arch extensions.
American laws prevent OEM's from selling cars with wheels that meet or stick out past the body line. So they play it safe and tuck the wheels way under, which is a look I detest.
I have to agree with you. After driving it for a couple of hours I really love the aggressive look. I’m not going to be getting the fender flares

·
Registered
344 Posts
From my experience the only XC90's without the fender flares are those Momentums with 19 inch wheels.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hopefully you have very smooth roads in your area, since you have the stock suspension system.

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hopefully you have very smooth roads in your area, since you have the stock suspension system.

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!
The ride quality is great. No issues. I live in NJ with lots of bumpy roads

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for sharing, you did what I was thinking to do for quite a while. It looks great without fender extensions. s
Share your experience on ride quality and dirt collection on the sides of the car, really currious as I have doubts in this area.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for sharing, you did what I was thinking to do for quite a while. It looks great without fender extensions. s
Share your experience on ride quality and dirt collection on the sides of the car, really currious as I have doubts in this area.
After a day of driving I have to confirm that the ride quality was barely affected. Yes it does feel a bit stiffer but it’s really not that much noticeable. The car is heavy and it has very soft suspension so that compensates for the smaller sidewall. I have ZERO regrets and can’t stop staring at the car!

Regarding this side of the car getting dirty - I did not notice anything excessive. Soon I will be making myself a custom set of minimalistic Mud Flaps (I’ve done it for my F80 M3) and will share photos and report back with results.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Wow - that’s amazing, I’d keep it as is. You get the benefit of “spacers” look without actually using them. That’s a win win given that spacers actually negatively affect turning radius, put extra wear on bearing, and don’t really do much for handling. It’s really a remarkable enhancement in appearance all around! Congrats.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK here’s a quick follow up after taking a weekend family trip:
The car feels a lot more planted on the highway and at twisty roads. I think it’s the smaller and stiffer sidewall that give the car that sportier ride.

Both my wife and my kids were extremely comfortable and no one ever complained about any roughness. The ride is very pleasant.

The last thing is that the car looks amazing with these wheels. Every time I see it I can’t stop looking at it. Anyone contemplating this upgrade - do it!
I almost bought a set of 20s - glad I did not.

With her stablemate (wearing track wheels)

Now - what’s a good price to ask for these 19s? Tires have about 80% life left. Wheels are mint.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
you'll love them until you need to buy tires...get ready for pain.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you'll love them until you need to buy tires...get ready for pain.
Unfortunately the 20s on the M3 are even more expensive so I have been dealing with this issue unfortunately. It’s the price we pay to look cool and have fun hehe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts