SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand, the Convenience package uses radar/laser for lane keeping assist, and the sensors on the rear and front of the car for park in and park out pilot; and, the Vision package allows for blind side and cross traffic monitoring.

My question: do the sensors used for the Convenience package provide alert as to cars passing behind or people walking by my car when in reverse, and for curb or objects in front of my car when parking? Should I have also gotten the Vision package for this now desired functionality?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The radar sensors are what's needed for the park in and out along with the audible distance notification - since the sensors don't differentiate between between a person and another object, you would still have the audible notification if someone walks behind or around your car as its being parked. The camera on the windshield is what actively monitors for pedestrians in front of the vehicle and is also responsible for the LDW and LKA. You should be fine with the convenience package for parking and curb etc.

The vision package adds the cameras and the retractable mirrors outside the car to give you the 360 view along with BLIS AND the cross traffic alert - which you won't get with just the convenience package. It may also come with an upgraded radar sensor for the rear cross traffic alert but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zainag, Thank you for the quick response. My 2005 XC90 has an aftermarket head unit with a backup camera. This disabled the rear sensors (but provided for a navigation system, iPod connectivity and bluetooth streaming). Over the years, I forgot about how nice it was to receive audible alerts when someone walked or drove behind the car when I was backing out of a parking space.

Until my Momentum Plus arrives, I am driving a 2015.5 XC60 with front and rear sensors, and I've come to enjoy the audible alerts again. I didn't opt of the Vision package, because I didn't think I would use the 360 view backup camera that much (and the models all come with a rear backup camera). It is the Vision Package's Cross Traffic Alert that I will not have, and may be what I am thinking of. Hopefully, the new car will arrive at the dealership in the next few days, and I'll be able to test to see how the audible alerts work when not using the park in/out assist.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The cross traffic alert will notify you of a car, bicycle, or pedestrian approaching that is well down the street. The parking proximity sensors will only chime when objects, cars, pedestrians are in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle.

This is about the area that CTA works

Here are the sensors used for CTA and Bliss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
As I understand, the Convenience package uses radar/laser for lane keeping assist, and the sensors on the rear and front of the car for park in and park out pilot; and, the Vision package allows for blind side and cross traffic monitoring.

My question: do the sensors used for the Convenience package provide alert as to cars passing behind or people walking by my car when in reverse, and for curb or objects in front of my car when parking? Should I have also gotten the Vision package for this now desired functionality?
To answer that question, You will not have that feature because it is part of the vision package. For me, CTA, 360° camera, and retractable rear view mirrors were extremely important . Especially living in New Jersey where there is extreme congestion in parking lots such as malls and shopping plazas.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To answer that question, You will not have that feature because it is part of the vision package. For me, CTA, 360° camera, and retractable rear view mirrors were extremely important . Especially living in New Jersey where there is extreme congestion in parking lots such as malls and shopping plazas.
Agreed, I'll be parking this car as far away in the parking lot as possible - malls are dent magnets!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi my_volvo_sucks and ashay21, If I understand the Park Assist Pilot demo on the Volvo North America website (scroll to the bottom of the page), my car will have similar sensors as used for CTA and Bliss as in your picture below, but perhaps those sensors are only engaged when using the semi-autonomous parking feature. zainag, I could use the additional steps and will join you in parking as far away in the parking lot as well. Plus, I'll have the added joy of seeing and walking up to my car from a distance. :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess the same sensor package is included with the convenience package as the vision package. I had seen this picture, which gives rise to my confusion.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Percy,

Under the usual circumstances, you are correct. Convenience package provides for Front and Rear Park Assist Sensors. Vision package adds BLIS w/ CTA which is aided by that extra side sensor.

However, some retailers could have XC90s without the Vision package but w/ the BLIS package. During the summer, Volvo had a shortage of Vision package components and, for a few weeks, one could order an XC90 w/ the BLIS package (Vision package was not available) which included these sensors for CTA.

Therefore, there are available XC90s that do not have the 360-degree cameras but have BLIS and CTA.

If you custom-order now, the package is the usual Vision package.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I wonder why they didn't include CTA with the standalone BLIS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As per my post, above, CTA was included w/ the BLIS package.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Percy,

Under the usual circumstances, you are correct. Convenience package provides for Front and Rear Park Assist Sensors. Vision package adds BLIS w/ CTA which is aided by that extra side sensor.

However, some retailers could have XC90s without the Vision package but w/ the BLIS package. During the summer, Volvo had a shortage of Vision package components and, for a few weeks, one could order an XC90 w/ the BLIS package (Vision package was not available) which included these sensors for CTA.

Therefore, there are available XC90s that do not have the 360-degree cameras but have BLIS and CTA.

If you custom-order now, the package is the usual Vision package.
Thanks for that explanation.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts