SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in the boondocks of the Washington State Pacific coast today about 125 miles from home when my R stuttered, and the Check Engine lamp came on briefly. I'd say the light was on for 1 or 2 seconds. The "stutter" felt like my old Saab 900 did when I'd turn on the air conditioning... like somebody had sapped all of the power out of the car. My R has about 28k miles on it.

It's worth stating that the low fuel lamp was on, and the trip computer was indicating 35 Miles until empty. I was coming down a hill and around a corner; it was marked with a yellow cautionary 25 MPH but I was probably going about 40 and rapidly closing in on another car who had slowed to below 25 for the corner, and as I had lifted off the throttle to brake, the CE lamp and stutter occurred. I had time to do nothing before the situation corrected itself.

My thought is that I momentarily sloshed all of the fuel out of range of the pickup device in the tank due to decelleration and turning with about 2 gallons of gas left in the tank. But that's just a guess. The CD player was on, and the sunroof and driver-side windows were open, so I didn't hear much of anything, though along with the engine's stutter I heard a click much like that when the ignition key is turned from the ACC to RUN position.

I was headed home, and made it the rest of the way uneventfully (after stopping to fill up the tank at the first gas station I saw). Does this momentary event warrant a trip to the dealer, or should I just chalk it up to running a little too low on fuel?

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: Momentary Check Engine Lamp (and engine stutter) today (kr900)

Very likely a transient issue caused by fuel delivery. If the light doesn't return, call it definitely.

Tom.

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts
Re: Momentary Check Engine Lamp (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
Very likely a transient issue caused by fuel delivery. If the light doesn't return, call it definitely.

Tom.

if you want to be sure....go fill up your tank and repeat the same procedure

·
Registered
135 Posts

It sounds like a fuel pick-up issue. But I thought the design of the R fuel tank prevented issues like this.

Basically the tank has a wall (my technical term) in the middle of it with a fuel pump inside the tank itself transferring fuel from one side to the other to prevent the sloshing effect. I've run mine down to 10 - 15 miles to go and have never had issues. But then again this is an R we are talking about.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Fuel pressure problems won't give you a CEL. The code should have been recorded, so if you are keener then getting your code read will satisfy some curiousity. If the car is running good though it's up to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts