SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I re-sealed my lens, fixed my ballaat and got my pasenger headlight running again. I got in after class at around 9:30 after it rained all day and theres moisture on the lens and water inside again. Is there another place that moisture/water can get into? Any ideas would help :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pulled off the lens with a heat gun, scraped out/off most of the old adhesive, put new adhesive on. i used 3m windo weld superfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Interesting, window weld is pretty good stuff. Were you generous with the bead of window weld? My guess is you may have had an area just a little too thin. Only takes a small opening to get moisture. Did you hold the lenses clamped while curing?

I'm thinking you could maybe dunk the light in a bath of water lens facing down. Not deep enough to submerge the electronics but deep enough to cover the perimeter of the lens and check for bubbles. I've never had a sealing problem but that's how I figured I would troubleshoot in the case I ever did.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm gonna try some spray sealant on the back. i didn't clamp it but the windo weld was oozing out if the sides and i made sure there was plenty.

·
2,521 Posts
What width of that stuff did you use? I used 3/8 with no problems ever since. I scraped out all the old crap and Ive had no problems. It gets humid here too

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have done a few retrofits. Something I always do after I get done with the job is leave one of the bulbs out of the socket for as long as it takes for the condensation to be gone. I do this if I'm sure I got everything sealed up right.

I like to use butyl tape; TheRetrofitSource.com sells it as well your local windshield repair guy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i drove around for a bit with the back cap off and most of it cleared up. makes me think its something with the casing

·
2,521 Posts
You could put a moisture absorbing pad in there, like tape it to the back of main cap

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats actually a really good idea lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts