SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from someone who is familiar with VIDA and programming modules. Can used modules be reprogrammed to a new vehicle? If so, is the old VIN required to marry it to the new car? Are there any companies that will program the module to your VIN if you mail it out to them?

Also, I recently swapped my key fobs to new shells with new batteries and need to marry the keys to the car, my remote buttons work but the key will not work in the ignition. Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I need some advice from someone who is familiar with VIDA and programming modules. Can used modules be reprogrammed to a new vehicle? If so, is the old VIN required to marry it to the new car? Are there any companies that will program the module to your VIN if you mail it out to them?

Also, I recently swapped my key fobs to new shells with new batteries and need to marry the keys to the car, my remote buttons work but the key will not work in the ignition. Thanks.
Regarding swapping keyfob shells: the immboliser transponder chip is glued to the shell casing. You need to very carefull transfer from old case to new case. They can be damaged easily!

Used modules can only be programmed to a new vehicle as follows:
1. The used module has the identical part number
2. You get the flash ram memory contents cloned from your module to the new module. Electronics experience required. The module has to be dismantled on the workbench and the memory chip contents read out using a chip reader. directly on the chip.
For example, there is a company in London UK that will transfer (clone) memory content from one to another, he does some but not all modules

But not all modules are programmed to the vehicle.
Some are plug and play, no reprogramming required.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
As far as module programming, one company that does this is Xemodex- https://xemodex.com/ . They're probably a good resource to answer the question you're asking, give them a call.

Key thing- if the intent was to replace or fix a key by putting it in a new shell, then the transponder needs to move as well. Reason there are a couple of posts on the subject, this being one of them- https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31639

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I got the keys figured out and working well. It sounds like I'm screwed and will need to buy a brand new module. I tossed the old one and only have the used one in its place which is not currently programmed to the car. So I'll be pricing out the cost for a new unit plus programming with an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I got the keys figured out and working well. It sounds like I'm screwed and will need to buy a brand new module. I tossed the old one and only have the used one in its place which is not currently programmed to the car. So I'll be pricing out the cost for a new unit plus programming with an aftermarket system.
Only dealers can add new keys to the car's immobiliser

And they can only add new keys, not second hand ones.
Reason: they need the code that comes delivered with a brand new key (as a sticker / piece of paper)

If you do not have the code, they cannot program the key.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only dealers can add new keys to the car's immobiliser

And they can only add new keys, not second hand ones.
Reason: they need the code that comes delivered with a brand new key (as a sticker / piece of paper)

If you do not have the code, they cannot program the key.
I'm all set on the keys, I have two good key fobs and a dealer key. I'm now trying to sort our the FM radio module.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm now trying to sort our the FM radio module.
What's wrong with the FM radio?
Remind me again what MY your XC90 is, as the radio system changed dramatically from early (2004ish) to later (from about 2006) models
Mine is a 2006, it has the FM module that's connected to the digital antenna in the rear roof. Other than that, my knowledge on the audio system is limited. I used to have VIDA working and the module had failed at that time. I removed it and tossed it at the time thinking I could just replace it with a used one, which I was obviously wrong about. I currently do not have the original, and have a used module I bought a while ago to replace it but need to figure out a way to program it, or just go buy a new one and have it programmed. Or go completely aftermarket.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you have the tuner mounted in rear roof then you have the older system.

As an anti theft measure the serial number of the audio system components is stored in the CEM. Any serial number mismatch will cause the system to shut down.

You can ask the dealer to disable the security system which will then allow devices from other cars to be fitted.
You must ensure heart numbers are the same, or compatible -VIDA will tell you what the part numbers are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts