SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finished my stereo and I'm ready to start under the Hood.....opinions of decent priced engine upgrades wanted.
What's the biggest bang for my bucks?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have a muffler shop make you a custom downpipe and exhaust. I had mine made for under $400 (minus the cost of the muffler and cat). Car made an extra 1-2psi of boost after that and noticed the RPMs rose a bit easier/quicker too.

IMO that would be the best bang for the buck modification engine wise. Something that doesn't require a tune to do and you will notice the upgrade as well.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I noticed a significant boost in performance with an IPD ECU tune. If you coupled that with URO's suggestion you would have quite a HP bump.

·
Registered
416 Posts
True. Dyno results show a 11hp increase with the Snabb intake and a tune over just a tune. But if you have to start somewhere that's where I'd start, and did start on both my old 2008 2.5T and my R.
He did ask for first mod that will net him the biggest/best bang for the buck. Without a tune or exhaust it won't do anything for him other than making cool sounds and dressing the engine up. Like I said before go find a shop to make you an exhaust seeing that will show you returns on the mod and also where the pivot point will be if you want to dig deeper with further mods.

(IE if you want a tune it will work best with DP and cat-back, intake won't work 100% better if it can't push the air out as fast, the better flowing exhaust will keep egt's down by not bottle-necking air in the DP or hot side housing and will allow the turbo to spin more freely. That's just my two cents though)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Get a Tune first. Its a bit pricey but you will double your boost pressure, and get almost 40 hp, and you will have the most noticeable gains. Also be prepared to spend some money on this car. Mods are not cheap with this car. After the tune you will get the mod itch.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Get a Tune first. Its a bit pricey but you will double your boost pressure, and get almost 40 hp, and you will have the most noticeable gains. Also be prepared to spend some money on this car. Mods are not cheap with this car. After the tune you will get the mod itch.
Yeah that's pretty much the straight truth there.

Once you get a tune you'll look at downpipes/exhaust to get a stage II tune to go even faster, because it's "just a little more money". When you have that you'll look at a fmic to keep the engine air cool in the summer and get back lost performance. Then you'll crave more top end power and you'll search for a 16T. Happened to me. Once you go with a tune it's hard not to continue down the path.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ecu tune = ardideas by lucky, he is a master for volvo flashes

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i think the correct anwear should be, with a downpipe you will not have anymore the more restrective part of the catback system, here is some pictures of mine a few years ago, STOCK VS BSR 3" downpipe. Also you will take much more power from a flash with a dp installed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
And you'll burn out your turbo much quicker.
Maybe........I ran a tune without a downpipe for almost a year. Correct me if Im wrong but to really burn out your turbo you would have to be at WOT for like 15-20 seconds or more without the downpipe.

Just don't drive like a douche and you will be ok. But a downpipe is awesome. (for the turbo too)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Maybe........I ran a tune without a downpipe for almost a year. Correct me if Im wrong but to really burn out your turbo you would have to be at WOT for like 15-20 seconds or more without the downpipe.

Just don't drive like a douche and you will be ok. But a downpipe is awesome. (for the turbo too)
Having a restrictive exhaust while running boost levels much higher than stock will only create more heat under boost levels higher than stock. If you're at wide open throttle every day you heat up the turbo much faster which can lead to shortened life. Run a synthetic oil and keep your changes regular to avoid the heat from the turbocharger gunking up the oil on your turbo's bearings. This is pretty much the cause of failure in 3 of the failed mitsubishi turbo's I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.