SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
It's been a while since my last post :)

I've been thinking about new shock absorbers, and lowering springs but I could not resist the idea of shorting the suspension rods and filling them with different oil.

So, plan is to see how will 10mm shorter rods, 20% ticker oil, and eibach lowering springs work out.
The work on shocks is being done in Italy in a shop which is specialized for suspension modifications.

I'll let you know how it worked out once when I get my engine installed ;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
nice idea! curious, any idea what this will cost?

also, have you considered that there might be bore wear on the solenoids? or do we think that failure of the mechanical components will be the real concern?

have you worried that the SUM controls will be all off since its expecting a different reaction time from the fluid?

not sure if these are valid, but wanted to throw them out for consideration?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm interested in your results.
I blew out 2 sets of new R front struts with Eibach springs.
My theory is that the strut was bottoming out...a modified strut would allow for reduced travel...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Reminds me of getting dirt bike shocks re-valved

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Volvoracer, that is exactly why I am going for this mod. I do not want my shocks to self destruct when they compress two much.
The cost to doo all 4 of them is 700€ and I will spend that money for SS-R forum research :) prompt replay will follow as soon as I get my engine installed.*

So far, it seems like our struts are just lake any other struts. There is a proportional bypass valve on the bottom of the strut and that valve is normally open. Allowing fluids to pass trough the valve and reducing the damping of the strut. As you (SUM) apply PWM current to the solenoid you are actually closing the bypass line, thus allowing strut's internal valves to take over damping control.

I reckon there will be no issues with this mod. 10mm shorter rods and 20% ticker oil in combination with stronger springs should prevent the strut from bottoming. *Sum only controls things which haven't really changed, so far.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is seriously awesome.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If this mod works out, I'd do up a set of 4 new struts and run the Eibachs again.
My VR handled and rode way better with the Higher spring rate Eibachs...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Volvoracer, that is exactly why I am going for this mod. I do not want my shocks to self destruct when they compress two much.
The cost to doo all 4 of them is 700€ and I will spend that money for SS-R forum research :) prompt replay will follow as soon as I get my engine installed.*

So far, it seems like our struts are just lake any other struts. There is a proportional bypass valve on the bottom of the strut and that valve is normally open. Allowing fluids to pass trough the valve and reducing the damping of the strut. As you (SUM) apply PWM current to the solenoid you are actually closing the bypass line, thus allowing strut's internal valves to take over damping control.

I reckon there will be no issues with this mod. 10mm shorter rods and 20% ticker oil in combination with stronger springs should prevent the strut from bottoming. *Sum only controls things which haven't really changed, so far.
Those clever engineers... That's a pretty brilliantly simple way to achieve the variable dampening.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm interested in your results.
I blew out 2 sets of new R front struts with Eibach springs.
My theory is that the strut was bottoming out...a modified strut would allow for reduced travel...
That's odd, I ran eibach pro springs fron 33k to 120k never a problem.
Faulty sum programs..?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Grassroots motorsports had an article recently where they changed the oil in an mr2's shocks to a much higher viscosity and achieved a much higher damping rate for a total cost of less then $30, but they also stated it was really easy to do on the mr2 bc it had a screw off nut to drain the oil etc and one seal to change. So they said with other cars getting acess to the oil etc might not be cost effective bc you might run into other issues but they made a nice mod for low bucks. We def need a cheaper alternative to the four c. I dont see how the cost of production for those shocks can be so high. Prob more of a demand versus supply thing affecting the cost.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Grassroots motorsports had an article recently where they changed the oil in an mr2's shocks to a much higher viscosity and achieved a much higher damping rate for a total cost of less then $30, but they also stated it was really easy to do on the mr2 bc it had a screw off nut to drain the oil etc and one seal to change. So they said with other cars getting acess to the oil etc might not be cost effective bc you might run into other issues but they made a nice mod for low bucks. We def need a cheaper alternative to the four c. I dont see how the cost of production for those shocks can be so high. Prob more of a demand versus supply thing affecting the cost.
I think you might be right that its a demand vs supply.. The shocks don't seem overly complicated and hopefully the rebuild doesn't cost too much.. But if anyone knows any companies that can do it that would help.. Ill try to google some.. but so far i've found a few that do it on bikes only..

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you guys like the idea!

I am excited about having the rod a little shorter cause it would defenatley minimize compression damage.
Unfortunately, for such mod you need to cut open your shocks.

I think there might be hope for damaged ones, as the valves seem to be standard ones, and replacement is not hard to get. In other words, as long as solenoid and proportional valve are good I would say there is hope for strut mod.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is very interesting indeed. Maybe it's possible to take this mod a step further and get rid of the stock spring seats and fit threaded collars to get even lower stance. In that manner get more track day related suspension setup and at the same time keep a bit of comfort with the four-c. Just a thought.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GMV you are right! That would give us more options on spring choice, as these are all standard size...

I can ask the shop to see how much would they charge to convert new set of struts in to 4C coil overs.
The options might be the oil thickness and how much should they short the strut. In other words, how low would one want to run his car.
I went 10mm cause I might still want to go back to OEM springs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Why not just cut the top, remove the guts, and do an insert style shock into the strut body. Voila, 4c still hooked up not doing anything but who cares.

My old VW had inserts like that into the strut body.

Maybe go with koni yellows. Or whatever.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Very awesome! Understanding how these work with the solenoid controlling the BYPASS instead of the main channel (which I had assumed) clears up a lot of problems.

So basically these shocks are super stiff without the bypass - but this allows them to become comparatively soft!

Means less wear on the main components too...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.