SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I would agree with most people. Assuming it'll be something like 1k for the hardware, might need a software update as well, then combine it with the $200 yearly fee for VOC, making the sum a total rip off.

For my other car, remote start is one-time $300 "as long as technical feasible." This is a big let down for the 2016 and the First Editions. At least Pilot Assist was upgradable.
I do believe that for $500, Volvo Dealers can program remote start and give you the ability via the keyfob. Again, that's $500 to get a feature working, that in my opinion should have been standard. And by Standard, not requiring a subscription and 3G modem to operate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We don't offer refunds because we got into the business of people buying 1 year for a winter. Then cancelling 6 months later expecting a refund since they "no longer wanted the service" or "I sold the car to someone". This is actually some of the reasons there are no more multi-year agreements. IF you have a valid subscription that lasts longer than the sunset date, for one reason or another (trust me, it's less than 1500 people, I looked)... then you can get a Credit towards something else. (Lifestyle Store, Car Accessories, etc.)...

Also, from an accounting perspective, do you know the amount of hassle it is, to have thousands of small dollar items on your books for 2-5 years as a subscription and then keep track of the ability to directly refund that card? Not even Home Depot will give you a full credit card refund after 90 days... Yet, you can get a store credit for something I bought 2 years ago with no receipt though.

But now someone may ask "why not go month to month..?" -- While I supported this option, when we surveyed over 5K people, the majority said they didn't want "another subscription" and would rather just pay upfront.

I'm trying not to come across as defensive, but I fear it is always taken that way. But, it's not like some guy somewhere woke up and was like "oh noes, ze modems!" or "oh my, lets go find a way to take advantage of our customers for VOC subscriptions...." or "let's capitalize on AT&T and everyone elses situation buy making artificial demand for a modem upgrade." or my favorite "let's go through all the pain to make an upgrade and make it so cost prohibitive no one buys it..."
I really appreciate your willingness to help people here on the board and attempting to fix various issues they have with the VOC service!
I would say though that the Home Depot example you gave vis-a-vis VOC is flawed - a customer who initiates a return of an item and expects a refund beyond a 90 day period is very different from a customer who pre-paid for a service and the service is stopped by the company.

As a first time Volvo owner my main thoughts are:
1. Why do we have to pay for this service? I really would have expected that a brand with this price point would include the VOC as part of the purchase price of the car for a much longer period.
2. Why did Volvo still use 3G modems when it was obvious that technology is quickly about to become obsolete?

·
Registered
894 Posts
AT&T launched its 4G LTE service in September 2011. The service launch covered five markets - Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The plan was to roll out to 15 markets by year‘s end and complete the deployment in the 2013-14 timeframe. It has been said that AT&T was looking to get additional infrastructure/spectrum from its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile - which never happened.

Simply put, OEMs are not going to replace modems until networks are fully built out. To do so would create unnecessary complaints from customers that they are not getting the speed that they are paying for - assuming that a 4G modem would even work on a 3G network (something that I do not know the answer to).

·
Registered
30 Posts
AT&T launched its 4G LTE service in September 2011. The service launch covered five markets - Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The plan was to roll out to 15 markets by year‘s end and complete the deployment in the 2013-14 timeframe. It has been said that AT&T was looking to get additional infrastructure/spectrum from its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile - which never happened.

Simply put, OEMs are not going to replace modems until networks are fully built out. To do so would create unnecessary complaints from customers that they are not getting the speed that they are paying for - assuming that a 4G modem would even work on a 3G network (something that I do not know the answer to).
As far as I know basically all modems (as well as phones, SIMs, etc) are downward compatible so thinking forward and installing a 4G modem in the cars even when many or most markets were still only 3G would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
As far as I know basically all modems (as well as phones, SIMs, etc) are downward compatible so thinking forward and installing a 4G modem in the cars even when many or most markets were still only 3G would have been the way to go.
At least when it comes to cell phones they are backwards compatible with the earlier technology. We are 4G phones will work on 3G and I believe 5G phones will work on 4 and 5 G at least not sure about 3-g. So definitely not forward-thinking on Volvo's part.

·
Registered
368 Posts
At least when it comes to cell phones they are backwards compatible with the earlier technology. We are 4G phones will work on 3G and I believe 5G phones will work on 4 and 5 G at least not sure about 3-g. So definitely not forward-thinking on Volvo's part.
From what I understand Volvo, BMW and some if not most other car makers delayed changing over to 4g until about 2017-2018. Six years after 4g first became available. Most but certainly not all smart phone owners figured out the benefits of a 4g phone. It's not clear to me if there was a technical reason for car makers to delay the changeover or if it was inertial. Could sticking with 3g have been a way to restrict usage on a strained network?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone heard an update on Volvo’s plans to address the shutdown of 3G? I’ve been hearing “in the coming weeks” for months now.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Go to 3G Cellular Shutting Down in 2022

Post 364.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I understand Volvo, BMW and some if not most other car makers delayed changing over to 4g until about 2017-2018. Six years after 4g first became available. Most but certainly not all smart phone owners figured out the benefits of a 4g phone. It's not clear to me if there was a technical reason for car makers to delay the changeover or if it was inertial. Could sticking with 3g have been a way to restrict usage on a strained network?
3G (HSPA+) has maximum of 42mbit. Today's AT&T LTE gives you 16-60mbit of download, at average. So speed wise it's not really noticeable, in theory. And for whatever usual car telemetrics/etc, it's overkill anyway.
LTE does have more efficient utilization of spectrum, but this is something that providers care about.
I guess there were two main reasons
  • costs of chip. old 3G chips were probably dime a dozen at some point of time
  • VoLTE. Voice functionality like Volvo-on-call, on-star, etc. while with 3G it just works, for VoLTE you need to have your device to be explicitly certified/white listed by mobile provider.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts