SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll chime in, I'm new to modern gen Volvo's, love being back though, btw! What I've noticed it's an industry wide issue, not just cell but tech in general.

Volvo is doing nothing different than what I've seen from Audi/VW in certain year models and their MMI. In Audi's case in addition to cell support, Google maps support and overlays gone this past year due to Google dropping that version API support (below '18 model years???). Other examples from various manufacturers also come to mind.

Manufacturers want you to cycle through new cars, much like tech has been. However, can't really support the hardware upgrades due to multiple factors - all of which impact cost. Cellular tech, 5G etc, carriers do not want to support older 2G and 3G based technology. Again multiple factors here but cost is the ultimate factor.

Not agreeing with or saying this is at all responsible by manufacturers to sunset products on consumers, but that is the other edge of the technology sword and how it defines the modern car. In my opinion, that trend continues exponentially as we rely more on intra/inter connectivity and electronics.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I'd be curious what everyone is willing to pay for the upgrade? I suspect more than not will pass whenever a price is released frankly.

Reactions: Tech

·
Registered
Fafnir: 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription, Ember Black
203 Posts
I'd be curious what everyone is willing to pay for the upgrade? I suspect more than not will pass whenever a price is released frankly.
If Volvo wants $1000CAD to upgrade my single USB port/software(no thanks Volvo, not worth it), I suspect it won’t be less than that. this will really piss me off because of the ridiculous “data only” remote start.

I’ll consider replacing the whole vehicle at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
Volvo would be better off doing the upgrade as cheap as possible. It'll be a real hit to Volvo on safety to sunset a bunch of owners on Volvo On Call. Even if this is no fault of Volvo itself. As emergency activation and roadside will no longer work through the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I am optimistic on the cost and incentives, if any (e.g., discounted VOC).

The solution and price will likely vary between non-SPA vehicles and SPA vehicles (which is limited to the MY16 XC90s).

The “take rate” for current owners will likely be higher for those who see value, subscribe, and use VOC and/or vehicle modem; and
2. intend to keep the vehicle longer term.

Future owners of the affected vehicles will likely have the option to upgrade - at least for a while.

… wait and see - glass half-full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think Volvo has completely dropped the ball on this - at the very least the company should have kept their customers informed of progress by email even if there are unavoidable delays. It makes everyone think that come January their not-too-old Volvos (such as my 2016 XC70 bought from new) will lose essential safety functionality such as SOS and also the convenience of the VOC features. I'm not sure I will want to keep my Volvo if no solution is confirmed by January. Also the thought of entering navigation destinations using the ridiculously old fashioned wheel letter by letter rather than from my phone would really be the last straw.
I'll likely be heading over to Mazda or Subaru next year due to the VOC debacle AND the wrecthed discovery that my XC70 has an inadequate towball rating to tow even the lightest of fully equipped campers.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Well they didn't change the tow rating after you bought the car... but I agree the communication hasn't been good. But to be honest... the majority of XC70 owners who have left the brand did so because the price jump to SPA hasn't been seen as a good enough value, while the utility nature of Volvos wagons has slipped towards lux.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's already an issue with the 3g modem in the 2014 BMW 328i. We've decided that a cell phone will cover any repair, road service and emergency calls. The chances of really needing sos service are too remote to worry about. The other features delivered via modem were not worth a modem upgrade and subscription price.

At some point in the not so distant future the 4g modem in the 2020 XC90 will be put out to pasture. We won't pay for a modem upgrade and subscription for the same reasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well they didn't change the tow rating after you bought the car... but I agree the communication hasn't been good. But to be honest... the majority of XC70 owners who have left the brand did so because the price jump to SPA hasn't been seen as a good enough value, while the utility nature of Volvos wagons has slipped towards lux.
They didn't change the towball rating - it has always been 165lbs at least in the US. If you buy a car with the capability of towing 3,500lbs, then you should expect the towball rating to be about 10% of the towing limit, i.e. 350lbs. At the time I bought it I just had a light boat trailer to tow and I kind of assumed that it would be powerful enough and robust enough to rake car of a 2,400lbs camper with a hitch weight of 240lbs

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's already an issue with the 3g modem in the 2014 BMW 328i. We've decided that a cell phone will cover any repair, road service and emergency calls. The chances of really needing sos service are too remote to worry about. The other features delivered via modem were not worth a modem upgrade and subscription price.

At some point in the not so distant future the 4g modem in the 2020 XC90 will be put out to pasture. We won't pay for a modem upgrade and subscription for the same reasons.
There are other VOC features than SOS, e.g. preconditioning, remote start, remote door locking. Regarding SOS, if accident occurs, SOS should be contacted automatically where cell phone won't help.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's another thread her on the topic of the crucial SOS feature that will be discontinued as a result of Volvo's apparent inability to deal with this in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The 3G sunset impacts much more than telematics. Unfortunately, Volvo is reliant on the AT&T network, and AT&T claims that the shut down must happen in February 2022.

I remember a switch from analog to digital in the early 2000s and the built in phone in my fairly new 03 S80 no longer worked. Volvo’s solution at the time was to remove the phone and replace it with a cubby.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are other VOC features than SOS, e.g. preconditioning, remote start, remote door locking. Regarding SOS, if accident occurs, SOS should be contacted automatically where cell phone won't help.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
None of those remote services are of any use to me. Especially the awful idea of running the engine at an idle to pre-warm the car. Seat and steering wheel heaters work exceptionally well. The situations where automatic sos contact would really be needed are so rare they are not worth worrying about.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
607 Posts
Volvo has done a piss poor job communicating it though. I even signed up for the email info and get nothing. I realize there isn't a "fix the 3g problem" department, but the silence is a poor decision, and even just giving occasional updates or non updates would cost nothing and provide customer satisfaction to know at least it's being worked on to the best ability given current conditions.
When I worked in software systems, one of the most difficult challenges was maintaining legacy system support, while at the same time transitioning to and supporting new software solutions. I suspect Volvo has this challenge. However, there's no excuse for failing to proactively provide update information.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I'd say the SOS service is both the most valid concern and also the least useful function. The odds off the car contacting automatically faster than you, or someone else at the accident making the difference for life and limb are incredibly tiny. Actually I bet with the Volvo EVA program they could probably even give you the numbers on it. The only reason I think as many folks know about it as do is the messaging from Volvo in their cars... but frankly when I explain both the problem, and the cost, it really is very few customers that will be impacted. Again, still no excuse to not give communication even if it's to say there is no communication.

I'm no attorney, but it's fun to play one on the forum. If I were in Volvos shoes... I would point to the fact that according to the manual it states a subscription is required, which they simply aren't offering, and states "adequate cellular network coverage" is needed... and without 3g... there is not adequate cellular network coverage.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd say the SOS service is both the most valid concern and also the least useful function. The odds off the car contacting automatically faster than you, or someone else at the accident making the difference for life and limb are incredibly tiny. Actually I bet with the Volvo EVA program they could probably even give you the numbers on it. The only reason I think as many folks know about it as do is the messaging from Volvo in their cars... but frankly when I explain both the problem, and the cost, it really is very few customers that will be impacted. Again, still no excuse to not give communication even if it's to say there is no communication.

I'm no attorney, but it's fun to play one on the forum. If I were in Volvos shoes... I would point to the fact that according to the manual it states a subscription is required, which they simply aren't offering, and states "adequate cellular network coverage" is needed... and without 3g... there is not adequate cellular network coverage.
What is Volvo doing about folks with long term subscriptions? There was a time where you could renew for up to 5 years. As a result, my subscription will take me out to year 9.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
In the same boat. They had no good answer when I asked them.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
What is Volvo doing about folks with long term subscriptions? There was a time where you could renew for up to 5 years. As a result, my subscription will take me out to year 9.
Not enough at this point.

When they dropped that option it seemed you could read between the lines and service was going to end for one reason or another. Personally, I despise all these modern tech options, but customers do like them.. when they work of course. I'd be content with an OV4...

21 - 40 of 66 Posts