Reviews:

Guides:

Customer Service:

Was this helpful?
161 - 180 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Well, "years" is accurate, in that it's been more than one, but I admit that "years" is hyperbole. I don't know why they can't deliver Car Play, and I don't know why they set expectations and are unable to follow through, but if they don't know when they will deliver they shouldn't tell buyers that it's coming "soon". They were promising and not delivering well before the effects of the pandemic were upon us. Do YOU think Volvo knows when Car Play will be delivered? I do not think they do.
Again……Volvo was made a lot of promises by 3rd parties that were REQUIRED to be involved in software development, and they didn’t uphold the agreed timeline. Because of the nature of two companies that are at each other’s throats, getting CarPlay on an android operating system HAD to be a collaboration. Volvo is not writing this software, it’s being purchased. So when Apple and Android drag their feet and don’t finish their part of the development, Volvo is left hung out to dry. Volvo was given all
Sorts of guidance to completion, and the OTHER companies didn’t deliver. So what’s Volvo exactly supposed to do? Notice the only other company using an AA operating system with CarPlay in GM on Silverado/Sierra trucks, and those literally just went on sale on not a few weeks ago. So as you can see the software is now complete, and there is indeed a delivery target scheduled very soon by Volvo. Don’t blame them
For Not releasing a date….they have been made out to be fools enough by those tech companies. But it IS coming in just a few weeks….that’s the goal as Volvo ties up loose ends before OTA push starts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Having worked with Apple on a number of projects, I can guarantee you Apple is not writing software for Android Automotive. Apple will publish the guidelines, APIs, developer documentation, etc., but the rest is up to the developer -- who in this case appears to be Google on the software, some unnamed company who builds the hardware, and Volvo in the middle attempting to get everyone to stay on the timeline. This isn't easy as the OS will need to meet certain security requirements to keep apps sandboxed - and that relies on specific hardware requirements.

If I were to guess, they have it running in the lab, but it is either dog slow due to all the overhead required for the various subsystems or buggy as hell. Making the app more responsive will either require a faster more capable processor, or code optimization. Since hardware is already in the field, code optimization is the only option and that takes a LOT of work. Pure speculation there, but that would be my guess.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Raysipe, you rock!

This is exactly inline with the MY23 European adjustments (Core, Plus, Ultimate) and discontinuation of the T-5, T-6 engines for B-5, B-6 mild hybrids. Super happy that you can now get the formally R-Design dark trim with the ventilated Inscription seats.

Nothing surprising here except perhaps T-5 and T-6 have gone to mild-hybrids just as they did in the EU. There was some speculation that the NA market would keep the gas-only engines. The inductive charging pad going away might be new. No word on the interior illumination dimmer - but since it is missing in the EU I think we can assume it is missing in NA.

The best news is with all the consolidations a top-end Inscription/Ultimate T8 ER spec is only $350 to $1,150 more expensive than a MY22. I was fearful the price might go up significantly given the times as they are.

$62,250 MY22 T8 ER Inscription
$2,050 Advanced Package
$695 Metallic Paint
$800 20" Diamond Cut 5-Y Spoke Wheels
$65,795 Total MSRP

$65,450 MY23 T8 Ultimate
$695 Metallic Paint
$66,145 Total MSRP

Difference

$350 Price increase similarly configured (adding MY22 20" wheels which are now standard)
$1,150 Price increase (without adding MY22 20" wheels which are now standard)
I just found out my 22 order was converted to a 23. I was told the dark outside was not available with the vented nappa seats. I can't fully tell from the price/order sheet. Does anyone know for sure this combo can happen?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just found out my 22 order was converted to a 23. I was told the dark outside was not available with the vented nappa seats. I can't fully tell from the price/order sheet. Does anyone know for sure this combo can happen?
You can get Dark trim (former R-Design) with vented nappa (former Inscription) in 23. You'll see it in the Order sheet above.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got an email from my Volvo sales rep saying that my B5 AWD XC60 insc. was bumped from late June to late July.

Would that make it a '23 model? He didn't mention any changes that needed to be made to the build.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes. As per the Order Guide linked above:

What’s New
Introduction of Levels: Core, Plus & Ultimate (see following pages for further information)
Added:
(+) Equipment Levels: Core, Plus & Ultimate Sales Versions (+) Exterior Executions: Base, Dark and Bright
(+) Leatherette Upholstery (Core)
(+) Updated Shiftlogic
(+) Black Stone Solid
(+) Bright Dusk Metallic
(+) Apple CarPlay*
Deleted:
(-) Momentum, R-Design & Inscription Sales Versions
(-) Inductive Charging
(-) Ice White Solid
(-) Pine Grey Metallic

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
706 Posts

What’s New
Introduction of Levels: Core, Plus & Ultimate (see following pages for further information)
Added:

(+) Black Stone Solid
(+) Bright Dusk Metallic
Deleted:
(-) Ice White Solid
(-) Pine Grey Metallic
There was some discussion as to whether the XC90 could be ordered in a base non-metallic color. At least it appears the XC60 does have that option available simply switching from the no added cost white to the no added cost black.

I continue to find it puzzling that Volvo USA will not allow US customers the same paint choices for the XC60 and the XC90 as both vehicles are built on the same line and utilize the same paint shop in Sweden. (For example Fusion Red was only available as an XC60 color in 2022)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I just got an email from my Volvo sales rep saying that my B5 AWD XC60 insc. was bumped from late June to late July.

Would that make it a '23 model? He didn't mention any changes that needed to be made to the build.

What’s New
Added:
(+) Equipment Levels: Core, Plus & Ultimate Sales Versions (+) Exterior Executions: Base, Dark and Bright
(+) Leatherette Upholstery (Core)
(+) Updated Shiftlogic
(+) Black Stone Solid
(+) Bright Dusk Metallic
(+) Apple CarPlay*
Deleted:
(-) Momentum, R-Design & Inscription Sales Versions
(-) Inductive Charging
(-) Ice White Solid
(-) Pine Grey Metallic
I'm moderately surprised there is no more Pine Gray. I had one, never really loved the color, but it seemed pretty popular on the dealer's lot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm moderately surprised there is no more Pine Gray. I had one, never really loved the color, but it seemed pretty popular on the dealer's lot.
I love my Pine Grey! I get a lot of compliments on it.

Reactions: White3
161 - 180 of 250 Posts