Customer Service:

Was this helpful?
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
June 13, 2022 Update
Some of the information in the first post of this thread is out of date. Check out these order guide links for the most recent info. Pricing has not yet been finalized, so the pricing may change.
order guide version 2
order guide version 1
June 13, 2022 Update

Trim level changes to the whole Volvo lineup were hinted at last month, when Volvo announced two trim levels (Plus and Ultimate) for the 2022 XC40 Recharge. Link 1 Link 2

I found some source information from some European Volvo websites/forums.
I have attached two Volvo pdf pricelist documents.
One is from volvocars.co.uk (United Kingdom) - VOLVO S60 AND V60, Price and Specification | Model Year 2023 | Edition 1 - ENGLISH - dated 12/01/2021.
The other is from volvocars.it (Italy) - VOLVO XC60, Price and Specification | Model Year 2023 | Edition 1 - ITALIAN - dated 11/25/2021.
If anyone finds other similar documents, please share.

I will include some analysis/summary of the two pricelist documents below, but please view them yourself. These are 1st edition documents, MY22 XC60 has had 7 editions so far. So things will change over time. Keep in mind that European trims can and do differ from US trims. And the trim specifics can differ for different Volvo models (and for recharge vs non-recharge of the same model).

The following is for MY23 XC60:
Momentum, R-design, Inscription trims are removed.
The new trim levels (in order of features/price) are Essential, Core, Plus, Ultimate, and Polestar Engineered.

The Plus and Ultimate trims have two available exterior themes, Dark and Bright. Here are the descriptions of each (Some is google translate, so may be incorrect)

Dark theme
  • High Gloss Black Mesh Front Grille and Surround
  • High Gloss Black Door Mirrors and Window Surround
  • Roof Rails - Integrated, High Gloss Black
  • Front bumper with central element and air intakes in glossy black
  • Rear bumper in body color with elements in glossy black

Bright theme
  • High Gloss Black Front Grille with Chrome Inserts
  • Chrome Window Surround
  • Roof Rails - Integrated, anodized aluminum with satin finish
  • Chrome insert in the front and rear bumpers and in the lower side moldings

You can use these car configurations from the Volvo Italy website to get photos of the difference between bright theme and dark theme (seems to me to be the exact same exterior differences as was between R-Design and Inscription).

Interesting notes:
Bowers & Wilkins only available on Ultimate and Polestar Engineered trims. Harmon Kardon not available on Essential/Core, optional on Plus, standard on Ultimate and Polestar Engineered.
Apply Carplay estimated to be available by the end of the first half of 2022.
Park assist pilot is back for MY23, after being left out of MY22. Italian document shows this as standard feature for all trims except Essential.
Differences between Essential and Core trims: Keyless entry. Advanced "Clean Zone" air quality system. Park Assist. Power tailgate. All-wheel drive. Power seats. Google digital services for 4year vs 1year.
Massage seats are back for MY23, only available as option on Ultimate trim.
I didn't quite understand how the seat options will be, as I don't understand Italian. My guess is the seat options are the same for Plus and Ultimate trims, your choice of contour seats and comfort seats, which correspond to seats currently available in R-design and Inscription trims. Will be interesting to see what the common configurations will be on dealer lots in the US.

Hopefully this helps readers decide whether to buy now or wait for a MY23. Please note that plug-in hybrid models will be getting a larger battery for MY23 (and MY22.5) - 11.6 kwh to 18.8 kwh. This improves all-electric range from 19 to an anticipated 32 miles.

If mods think this discussion is more suitable in a general forum, go ahead and move it. I thought the XC60 forum was appropriate since I haven't seen any info for the XC90.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great find! I also noticed the crystal shifter is back for the polestar model. Hmmm I put an order in for the recharge with extended battery (set for April/May here in Canada) and wonder if these changes will apply?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have an order in as well. I don't think we'll see anything significant - other than the 18.8 and a more stable Android automotive build.

I want to publicly eat crown o the massage seats. It's been critical of that feature very stupidly since it's never tried to live with it in a Volvo. It was terrible in my pre Volvo days but nobody does seats better than Volvo. Anyway, should not have criticized a feature I haven't used.

Reactions: Yalud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread. Currently driving an 2014 BMW X1 and very interested in the XC60 Polestar Engineered version that appears in the Italian website.

Does anyone have any clue on how long we have to wait in North America to start placing orders for MY23 that will have all the upgrades which actually seem significant?

Besides, the upgraded battery the MY23 will drive and feel a lot more like an EV than an ICE including features like one-pedal driving. Electric range will go up from 30 to almost 50 miles, no more supercharged on T8 given that the rear part of the vehicle gets a more powerful electric motor. The horsepower is being increased from 415 to 455. You won’t have to feather the accelerator pedal anymore to avoid engaging the ICE on stop-n-go situations. The car (given its Google-based infotainment) will have the ability to detect when you enter urban areas and will try to keep the car on electric mode as long as possible. Obviously, the vehicle becomes significantly more fuel efficient than the previous year model.

The only thing that seems off-putting is that they might remove the drive mode lever/button on the center console and will need to be done on the infotainment.

Here is an interesting YouTube video for those interested in learning more about the changes coming up…

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’m confused. There is a 2022 XC60 PHEV available in the USA now. Then, there is the car in the video which, as stated, comes to the USA in “early 2022” - upgraded battery capacity, improved powertrain, one pedal, etc. Also mentioned in the video is massaging seats for this car (which I’m very interested in). Then there is the car described in the Italian spec sheets, which is referred-to as a 2023 XC60. Can somebody explain the relationship/differences between the “early 2022” and the anticipated 2023?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m confused. There is a 2022 XC60 PHEV available in the USA now. Then, there is the car in the video which, as stated, comes to the USA in “early 2022” - upgraded battery capacity, improved powertrain, one pedal, etc. Also mentioned in the video is massaging seats for this car (which I’m very interested in). Then there is the car described in the Italian spec sheets, which is referred-to as a 2023 XC60. Can somebody explain the relationship/differences between the “early 2022” and the anticipated 2023?
I could be wrong, but here is how I understand things:
  • 2022 XC60: Currently available model in the US w/ the 11.6 kwh battery
  • 2022 XC60 Extended Range: Same as the current MY XC60, but with the 18.8 kwh battery (does not have any of the changes / upgrades mentioned in the spec sheets). Likely available Q1 2022 (based on the video and some other threads)
  • 2023 XC60: Model OP is describing above w/ info from the Italian spec sheets. Likely available in mid-2022 (based on Volvo's general MY timelines)
But I don't know if Volvo would update the XC60 within the same MY or just wait to release until MY23. Hope that makes sense / is helpfu.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at 4:40 of the video, he says (not-verbatim) "This car is an R-design, does it have massaging seats? No, got to get the inscription." My understanding is that he is mistaken because massaging seats aren't available for the MY22 XC60. They are available in the inscription trims of the xc90 v90 s90, which is probably what caused his mistake. As I pointed out in the OP, it looks like massaging seats will be included for MY23 XC60.

Volvo does small updates at the middle of the production of a model year. So there's a MY22.0 and a MY22.5, also called early MY2022 and late MY2022. The car in the video is a pre-production version of the MY22.5 volvo. MY22.5 started production in November 2021, so those should be available in the USA in early 2022 as you stated.

For Torslanda, I understood, that in a normal year, the new MY "starts" the last full week of April ~ week 12- 13; and then mid-year cycle starts the last full week of Nov. ~ week 46-48.

New MY production usually has had two months of production by the Summer Holiday (July). link
Hope that helps clear things up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Volvo does small updates at the middle of the production of a model year. So there's a MY22.0 and a MY22.5, also called early MY2022 and late MY2022. The car in the video is a pre-production version of the MY22.5 volvo. MY22.5 started production in November 2021, so those should be available in the USA in early 2022 as you stated.
Thank you for clarifying that.

I wonder if all these changes discussed in the video will also apply in the MY22.5 all the way up to the “Polestar Engineered” XC60 being shipped to North America. We live in Mexico and our experience is that dealers have not been told what changes to expect and whether the changes will apply to our market. Currently, the same model that arrives in the U.S. also comes to Mexico. We are not in a hurry to buy so we will wait until they receive official documentation on the specs or wait until January/February shipments arrive to see what changes have been made.

We are cross-shopping with BMW X3 M40i and X30e PHEV but like much better the Volvo proposition in the Polestar XC60 — PHEV with more electric range in a high performance package. But definitely want to wait for the significant upgrades as seen in the video above.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread. Currently driving an 2014 BMW X1 and very interested in the XC60 Polestar Engineered version that appears in the Italian website.

Does anyone have any clue on how long we have to wait in North America to start placing orders for MY23 that will have all the upgrades which actually seem significant?

Besides, the upgraded battery the MY23 will drive and feel a lot more like an EV than an ICE including features like one-pedal driving. Electric range will go up from 30 to almost 50 miles, no more supercharged on T8 given that the rear part of the vehicle gets a more powerful electric motor. The horsepower is being increased from 415 to 455. You won’t have to feather the accelerator pedal anymore to avoid engaging the ICE on stop-n-go situations. The car (given its Google-based infotainment) will have the ability to detect when you enter urban areas and will try to keep the car on electric mode as long as possible. Obviously, the vehicle becomes significantly more fuel efficient than the previous year model.

The only thing that seems off-putting is that they might remove the drive mode lever/button on the center console and will need to be done on the infotainment.

Here is an interesting YouTube video for those interested in learning more about the changes coming up…
They've already removed the drive mode dial.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I could be wrong, but here is how I understand things:
  • 2022 XC60: Currently available model in the US w/ the 11.6 kwh battery
  • 2022 XC60 Extended Range: Same as the current MY XC60, but with the 18.8 kwh battery (does not have any of the changes / upgrades mentioned in the spec sheets). Likely available Q1 2022 (based on the video and some other threads)
  • 2023 XC60: Model OP is describing above w/ info from the Italian spec sheets. Likely available in mid-2022 (based on Volvo's general MY timelines)
But I don't know if Volvo would update the XC60 within the same MY or just wait to release until MY23. Hope that makes sense / is helpfu.
I think this is right. Get 22/ER sooner, or just wait for MY23.

·
Registered
208 Posts
at 4:40 of the video, he says (not-verbatim) "This car is an R-design, does it have massaging seats? No, got to get the inscription." My understanding is that he is mistaken because massaging seats aren't available for the MY22 XC60. They are available in the inscription trims of the xc90 v90 s90, which is probably what caused his mistake. As I pointed out in the OP, it looks like massaging seats will be included for MY23 XC60.

Hope that helps clear things up.
OK, thanks.

Setting aside the lack of massaging seats in the 22.5, I guess that what theyre showing in the video is basically what we knew is coming - extended battery range and more electric motor HP. What the video is further showing - and I hadn’t thought about this - is all of the basic drivability improvements that are made possible by these changes. And the one pedal. One heck of a mid-year kicker if you ask me

·
Registered
4 Posts
I learned yesterday from a Volvo dealer here in Mexico that they’re discontinuing the XC60 T8 “Polestar” for Mexico due to dismal sales. The regular T8 will still be available. They think the upgraded model shown on the video won’t arrive until late summer or fall. He said Mexico runs
about 8-9 months behind the U.S. market. I am quite
disappointed. :cry:

·
Registered
202 Posts
strange...there is no XC60 Recharge T8 PLUS option in UK's site...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I‘m so glad I found this thread.

Based in the US and looking to get into a MY22 Polestar XC60. I drove a R tonight and mentioned the “MY22.5” to the dealer, and he had no idea. He said he thinks the model I was describing was a mild hybrid, not a plug-in hybrid ¯\(ツ)

This aside, it seems even more so that I should just wait for the MY23 to arrive? Other than the spec configs - it seems like the engines of the MY22.5 and MY23 are identical as far as we know?

Excuse my ignorance, but I believe I read elsewhere that 2023 was going to be the year that Volvo showed off their new LIDAR based autonomous driving system, starting with the XC90. Does anyone think it’s a possibility that the MY23 XC60 will get the new sensors, so that alone would make it worth waiting over the MY22.5 ?

This is such a confusing time to be buying a car ha

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well I am off to test drive the recharge today and pick its colour. I have a deposit down on a XC60 T8 ultimate for delivery June.

As I am in a XC60 Inscription Pro the only reason for the test dive is to try out the battery and see how much difference not having the air suspension will make.

Seems crazy to swap before the car is 3 years old but the residual in my car is crazy and i like the idea of battery driving without going the full hog.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts