SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New member here. I am looking for some guidance on a used Volvo purchase. I am attracted to the styling, safety rating, AWD(not opposed to FWD) and seating options.

This may be a bit broad, but which model(s) (SUV or Wagon, AWD or FWD) over the last 10 years or so has or have best reliability reputation? I'm mainly interested in reliability and fuel economy. Engine performance would be a third - the car doesn't necessarily need to be a race car - just reliable and economical - not that being fast would be a diminishing trait - just not the first trait. I'm interested in buying used, but don't want to purchase outside the vehicle age window where major service(s) may need to be performed either.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi. New member here. I am looking for some guidance on a used Volvo purchase. I am attracted to the styling, safety rating, AWD(not opposed to FWD) and seating options.

This may be a bit broad, but which model(s) (SUV or Wagon, AWD or FWD) over the last 10 years or so has or have best reliability reputation? I'm mainly interested in reliability and fuel economy. Engine performance would be a third - the car doesn't necessarily need to be a race car - just reliable and economical - not that being fast would be a diminishing trait - just not the first trait. I'm interested in buying used, but don't want to purchase outside the vehicle age window where major service(s) may need to be performed either.

Thanks in advance.
You asked a broad question, so my answer is going to be broad but I'll try to offer some helpful details to help you start your search.

Here are the SUVs and Wagons form the past decade or so-

SUVs/Crossovers
XC60- considered a Compact Luxury Crossover/CUV, introduced in 2010, engines thru 2014 include a 240hp 3.2L I6, 300-325hp 3.0L Turbo I-6 (new engines intro'd in 2015)
XC70- based on V70 wagon, 2008-present based on the S80 sedan 'flagship', 3.2L I-6 or (since 2009) 3.0L Turbo I-6, 2008-2010 AWD only, FWD available with 3.2L from 2011
XC90- mid-size Luxury CUV, available until 2011 w/ 4.4L Yamaha-designed 311hp V8, 3.2L I6 standard on 2007-2014, AWD optional w/ 3.2L & std w/ V8; 'Versatility Package' optional thru 2009 added third-row seating on 3.2L models, 3rd row standard on all models from 2010-2014

Wagons
V50- probably too small, but available in FWD and AWD and with a turbo or non-turbo 5-cylinder; discontinued after 2011 model year
V60- wagon version of S60 sedan, introduced to US market for 2015 model year, rear seat legroom tight for adults
V70- based on S80 sedan from 2008-2010 (then discontinued), largest wagon model with room for 4-5 adults

So, the XC90 is the only option if you need room for more than five people. But if you just need room for 4-5, the XC60 is actually roomier in the back seat than the larger XC90 (because it doesn't have to make room for a third row seat). The V70 wagon and XC70 Crossover are tighter in the rear than the XC60, but still have decent room for 2-3 adults and plenty of cargo room. The V50 wagon is probably too small for you and the V60 is pretty much brand new (2015) so it may not fit your criteria.

The same engines were used in most of these models. Volvo's 240hp (235hp some years) 3.2L Inline-6 (known as the Ford/Volvo SI6 engine) is the base engine all around (std on XC60, XC70, XC90 and V70). It is adequate for all but the most demanding drivers under most conditions. 0-60mph times run in the 9.1-9.5sec range with FWD and about 0.5sec more for AWD with the 3.2L. It has been a very reliable engine and fuel economy is decent, 25mpg highway on XC60 3.2 FWD, for example. The

The XC60 and XC70 offered a 300hp 3.0L Turbo I-6 with AWD only. 0-60 times drop to 6.9sec but fuel economy is reduced by 2-3mpg. This engine is dervied from the standard 3.2L version and has a similar reliable history. If you want AWD, I would highly recommend going with the more powerful 3.0L turbo.

You mentioned that fuel economy was one of your primary concerns, so you may be interested in a 2015 XC60. The 2015 XC60 FWD was introduced with a new 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder and 8-speed automatic transmission (called "Drive-E") which replaced the previous 3.2L and 6-speed automatic. Fuel economy is rated at 24mpg city and 31mpg highway. The best part, 0-60 only takes 6.8sec copared to 9.4sec in the 3.2L. So you get to have your cake and eat it, too! I looked at some listings on Cars.com and used 2015 XC60 Premier models started at $26k in most regions of the country. Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2015 XC60 T5 Drive-E models started in the $28k range and come with a Volvo-backed 7yr/100k mile Warranty!

A quick note- if you are interested in the 2015 XC60, there are actually 2015 and 2015.5 models. Volvo made changes to all of their models several months after the 2015 models came out and they called them revised models 2015.5 (or 2015-and-a-half) to differentiate....but it can cause confusion and often does. The main differences on the 2015.5 XC60 Drive-E are the addition of the Sensus Connect infotainment system, Navigation made standard on Premier trim level and Keyless Drive was made optional on Premier, was previously standard. If you need any more info, just let me know.

I hope this helps! Overall, I think the XC60 is the way to go based on the info you shared. It rates as a Used Car 'Best Bet' on Cars.com and is recommended on several other auto media and consumer sites.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
If you have got a good chunk of change to spend, you should think about the above recommendations. If you're like the rest of us plebs and are looking at used Volvos, I'd recommend looking into the V50 T5 and the V70/XC70. The V50 is not much larger than the S40 sedan (plus in my book) and the XC70 is basically the peer of a Subaru Outback. Both good cars and can suit your needs depending on family size, etc.

·
Registered
2016 V60 p* white (PR); 2017 V60 p* rebel blue (EU)
65 Posts
I wouldn't get anything with more than about 50k miles on it unless you are handy or willing to do a fair amount of repairs. I love my wagons, so am partial to the V70 or V50. I would avoid the V70R since reliability is more important to you than performance. The difference I see between my wife's 2013 and my 2015.5 is huge in terms of comfort, ergonomics, performance, .... After driving the V60 T6 I wished I got rid of the old car much sooner. Thus if you have $ for a 2-3 yr old car I would go with that over a "cleaner" older one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts