SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
A revolutionary advancement in quantum effects for use in Motorsport technologies derived from full scale homogenous test apparatuses comprised of individual experimental fields.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I feel bad for all my fellow R members with slush boxes, lol. :p
If only Volvo had brought the Ford Powershift DCT to America... The R with a dual clutch would be perfect.
Coming from some one who has owned both a MT and a GT R, I strongly prefer the auto trans to the manual.

I feel bad for my R brothers with the Manual M66.

The auto trans may have it's draw backs, but at least if you blow up the auto there are tons of shops that can rebuild them and companies making parts for them. Every time I used to bang a gear in my M66 car I had that little bit of worry in the back of my mind that if you break a shift fork or ruin a syncro, your only choices are buying a new trans from Volvo for like 5 million dollars, or buying a used trans from some one and praying to god that it worked and wasn't abused by the previous owners.

Its cool to day dream about a DCT, but when it comes down to it you can keep your DCT's and I will take a normal torque converter automatic. The service costs on any car that has a DCT are RETARDED. Look at the GTR or even the lowly Evo DCT. The service interval for flushing the fluid if you abuse it is at like 5-7.5k miles, and the recommend ONLY Mitsubishi fluid and the Mitsu. fluid is $140 for a 4 liter container. Subsequently NO ONE flushes the fluid, and if you buy one used you're sitting on a $5,000 time bomb when that trans goes out.

Lets face it, I have seen several R's parted out or sold just because the M66 blew up and the owner didn't want to deal with the BS. These cars are expensive enough to maintain as it is, god for forbid you add a DCT to the mix.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
The beauty of the age of the M66 is that a lot of salvage trannys are being being sold or broken down for parts. As long a gears, shafts and forks are available, you can rebuild your manual a lot cheaper and easier than an automatic any time.

That being said, the only time I miss an auto is when I want to eat in slow moving or in town traffic, lol.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
IMHO, there is no way I would do all of the work to pull the trans out of a R, and then do a rebuild with used parts and just slapping the trans back together. Hell you can't even call that a rebuild. This might be fine for some one at the stock power level, that's not abusing the trans but with the boost turned up and an abusive driver that trans is just going to break again. I mean, if you broke the trans in the first place you're probably an abusive driver.

Hell does any one even know what the torque specs are for resembling the case? I looked all over the net trying to find it to help people, and couldn't find crap.

I've been on the forums for over 4 years, and I'm the only person I know of that has broken the M66 and sold off the internals.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I was just feel Volvo shoved it in with out lube to M66 owners by not even supplying any internal parts to the trans, or even instructions on how to work on it.

:p

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been on the forums for over 4 years, and I'm the only person I know of that has broken the M66 and sold off the internals.
you are not the only one... 666lm has as well and there are many more they just don't post up cause of the resale value might be effected...you don't have many people like stealthy or myself that post up just about everything. ;)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
IMHO, there is no way I would do all of the work to pull the trans out of a R, and then do a rebuild with used parts and just slapping the trans back together. Hell you can't even call that a rebuild. This might be fine for some one at the stock power level, that's not abusing the trans but with the boost turned up and an abusive driver that trans is just going to break again. I mean, if you broke the trans in the first place you're probably an abusive driver.

Hell does any one even know what the torque specs are for resembling the case? I looked all over the net trying to find it to help people, and couldn't find crap.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I was just feel Volvo shoved it in with out lube to M66 owners by not even supplying any internal parts to the trans, or even instructions on how to work on it.

:p
Did Ford give instructions for the M66 in the focus? It's a Getrag sourced transmission so the data has to exist somewhere.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
It appears an entire replacement M66 from volvo is $3,500. I can live with that worse case scenario if I somehow couldn't rebuild the one I have.

What's it costing for just a good rebuild for an R auto nowadays?

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I'll take an R with a blown manual over an R with a working auto. Exiting a corner while the transmission downshifts kills it for me.
Sent from my rotor-dial phone with the help of Cortana.
That's why it's a GT and not just an AT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts