SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2006 S60 that I have done some extensive mods to, including putting motorcycle turn signals in place of the factory ones at the front, and Chevy HHR turn signals at the rear. (It will make more sense when you see the pics). Now the turn signals are like flashers. When you turn either side on, they both flash. Does anyone have a clue why?

Thanks,

DS1

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you've changed the wattage on the bulbs significantly from the stock bulbs the CANBUS network will freak out because it's not seeing the wattage it should. Basically it's flashing because it thinks a bulb is out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've changed the wattage on the bulbs significantly from the stock bulbs the CANBUS network will freak out because it's not seeing the wattage it should. Basically it's flashing because it thinks a bulb is out.
Thanks, 1clean01, that is helpful. I am pretty sure that I have changed the wattage significantly. Now I need to figure out exactly what the wattage differences are. Do you happen to know a common solution to this issue?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Did you use led's? That will also piss off the car.
Really interested in pics too....

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Putting a small resistor in parallel with each led will fix the issue if it's canbus voltage related.
I don't know the specs off the top of my head, but it's not costly and common for led conversions

(Here's just one link I found http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=143461)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, spiked60, good link. To start, I may try one guy's solution of putting the stock lights in parallel. Mine are not LEDs, though. At the rear they are stock incandescents from a Chevy HHR. At the front they are turn signals from a motorcycle. I would not have thought the current draw would be terribly different, but it might be different enough to be detected by CEM and REM. Still haven't done my measurements.

Pics? Ok, here goes: http://jpmunson.tumblr.com

This is a work in progress! In particular, it's not painted yet, and I'm still figuring out what to do about bumpers. I'm confident that once it's done, it will be fabulous. ;)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hm. Hopefully someone with electrical knowledge pitches in.
If it were a grounding issue or bad connection, you'd be more likely to get a bulb failure warning on the dash or just a single side flashing fast. The oem lights are low-high flashers instead of off-high, but I can't see that causing the problem.
I would imagine volvo software (vida vice) may tell you more, but can't support that guess.

I've had weird bulb demons, but never one that triggered both sides.

Did you happen to see if it was after the front or the rear or did you discover after both ends?
If the car thinks a circuit is missing it may be pissed off.
Any dash warning messages?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there any reason why you didn't keep the same wiring harness, and use the lens/housing you want to, and use LED bulbs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@spiked60: I discovered after doing both ends. No dash warning messages.

@SouthJerseyLolvo: I kept the wiring harness up to the connector that plugs into the lens housing. I chose the lights that made sense for the style I was after, but if using LEDs makes it easier, and if I can find the styles that I like, I'd gladly use them. If I used LEDs, are there ready-made solutions? Based on that thread that spiked60 posted, it doesn't seem like there are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To close this down: I solved the problem. It was a logic mistake by me. The Chevy HHR taillights use a single bulb for brake light and turn signal, so I wired both lines to the same bulb wire. I didn't realize that the car's electronics need to participate in a single-bulb design, by shutting off the brake-light electricity while the turn signal is on. Otherwise the bulb would never flash while you are braking and turning at the same time. Since the S60 uses separate bulbs for turn signal and brake light, it's electronics don't do this. My solution was to convert the HHR's reverse light into a turn signal by putting in an amber bulb of the right wattage and wiring it to the turn-signal line. Then I created new reverse lights using a couple LED bulbs inserted into some holes above the rear bumper.

Yesterday the car passed inspection and is now street-legal! (http://jpmunson.tumblr.com). But to do that I had to put the low beams on a separate line fed directly from the battery (with fuse) through a toggle switch. The car's electronics do not like the motorcycle headlamp I put on. So that's an open issue.

Next week it goes to the paint shop.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That poor car! :eek:

To each his own though I guess, and mad props for being original. Was it badly damaged in a wreck when you started, or did you just decide to go for the open wheel look just because? Looking forward to seeing fully painted pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts