SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with good mobile phone holders / mounts that fit really well with the layout in the xc90?

Mine first xc90 is arriving in a few days and just getting ready...

Would anyone recommend certain types? Dash mount? Glass mount? Air vent mount?

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm partial to this ProClip: Angled Dash Mount, paired with the phone holder matching your phone. It's a solid mount, out of the way, but not too far.

But I mount these up at the top of the console (same passenger side slot, but up by the selector knob. Mounting up higher requires some off-label use of the screws that hold the two parts together. The low mount point takes eyes too far from the road.

I can post pictures of an installation, but it'll be a few weeks before I do another installation.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,363 Posts
I second the ProClip base and then add your holder. I use the one mounted over the vent along with a holder that can move at an angle. Very sturdy and still gives me access to the hazard switch as well as not blocking airflow since it sits away from the vent. The pic has shadows so it appears to cover the switch (which you can place the ProClip anywhere left to right) and the holder allows the phone to sit away from the vent, closer to you. I don't like vent clips as they cover the vent, the phone gets cold/hot from the air, and their angle is not adjustable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've looked at the proclip ones, haven't checked out how easy they are to ship international and also conscious of the right-hand drive aspect but don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Also a fan of Spigen products but wary of air vent mounts eventually breaking the air vents...Spigen does have a nice discreet dash mounted clip and also cd player mounted options which could be interesting as I have no intention using the cd player as I'm hoping to just use the Bluetooth streaming (2012 model)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have this one. it's been pretty solid. I did pop one louver in the vent though when I wasn't patient enough for it to release my phone.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've looked at the proclip ones, haven't checked out how easy they are to ship international and also conscious of the right-hand drive aspect but don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Also a fan of Spigen products but wary of air vent mounts eventually breaking the air vents...Spigen does have a nice discreet dash mounted clip and also cd player mounted options which could be interesting as I have no intention using the cd player as I'm hoping to just use the Bluetooth streaming (2012 model)
The XC90 CD player face is tapered in so it makes mounting a CD mount less stable because there is less of the insert inside the slot. You will get a better idea of this when you get your XC90.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use one I got from Aliexpress, no one else had the features I wanted. Vent mounted with motorized clamp/infrared detector and 15W wireless charging. It sits away from the vent with a tripod base so it has an adjustable angle. Very stable and the vent air conditioning keeps the phone from overheating in the summer when I'm using GPS+wireless charging :) I'll take a photo once I get home. Been using it for about 1.5 years with no issues.

Previously I used magnetic mounts but then you usually can't use wireless charging.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I second the ProClip base and then add your holder. I use the one mounted over the vent along with a holder that can move at an angle. Very sturdy and still gives me access to the hazard switch as well as not blocking airflow since it sits away from the vent. The pic has shadows so it appears to cover the switch (which you can place the ProClip anywhere left to right) and the holder allows the phone to sit away from the vent, closer to you. I don't like vent clips as they cover the vent, the phone gets cold/hot from the air, and their angle is not adjustable.

Would the ProClipcan survive vertically lifting a heavy radio mic out from a commercial radio mic clip?

This would screw to the ProClip. The spring tensioned paddle holds the mic securely in place:
Camera lens Camera accessory Auto part Cameras & optics Gadget

How the mic slots into the mount:
Musical instrument accessory Camera accessory Gadget Auto part Automotive wheel system

Photograph White Light Blue Black

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,363 Posts
Would the ProClipcan survive vertically lifting a heavy radio mic out from a commercial radio mic clip?

This would screw to the ProClip. The spring tensioned paddle holds the mic securely in place:
It should, but not sure of longevity depending on how hard you are clipping and unclipping the mic. I have only used it for phones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use one I got from Aliexpress, no one else had the features I wanted. Vent mounted with motorized clamp/infrared detector and 15W wireless charging. It sits away from the vent with a tripod base so it has an adjustable angle. Very stable and the vent air conditioning keeps the phone from overheating in the summer when I'm using GPS+wireless charging :) I'll take a photo once I get home. Been using it for about 1.5 years with no issues.

Previously I used magnetic mounts but then you usually can't use wireless charging.
This sounds interesting...would like to see it 🙂

Yes, as eager as I am to have everything lined up to do when I get my car (currently tracking the GPS of the transport truck) I think I'll wait till I physically get it so I can get a feel for what will work best. Ideally, I'll be using Android Auto and Bluetooth media streaming and probably avoiding a headunit change, so figured I'd get the best mount I could for my needs 🙂

·
Registered
518 Posts
It should, but not sure of longevity depending on how hard you are clipping and unclipping the mic. I have only used it for phones.
I'm gentle on my stuff but there is a force to lift it up (think enough to keep it place on a bumpy road). Right now I have the mic magnetically holding to a non-damaging vent clip.

I'm curious how much it would pull on the dash material each time I lifted the mic up and put it back.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts

View attachment 134324

How the mic slots into the mount:
View attachment 134325

View attachment 134316
I've installed dozens of VHF and SSB radios on yachts using the exact mic clip in your picture. Many years ago, I adhered the clip shown with two small bits of the extra-heavy duty 3M double stick tape pending a final site selection by the owner. many years later, that mic clip is still stuck where I put it! Amazing stuff, I use it for all kinds of mounting rather than using fasteners, especially on upholstered materials. It's unbelievably strong, yet is removable and the adhesive can be cleaned up with Goo-Gone and the like.
I have a piece of teak trim adhered to my XC90 dash under the vents that support our phones using that tape.. We have the cheapest magnetic vent phone mounts, and we put the steel plate in our wallet type phone covers. As it reduces the magnetic attraction a bit, they have a tendency to slide down. Resting the phone wallets on the teak trim solves the problem.
Noteworthy about vent mounts, is that the link that joins all the vent louvers are towards the center of the vent group. Carelessly stuffing the vent gripper into the vent will push the link off and you'll have vents unresponsive to the controls.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've tried many and "iOttie Easy One Touch" series works best for my 07 XC90 mounted on the dash base circle piece first then the mount itself on the left of the center speaker. Extend the arm to max. Solid. I personally use the Easy One Touch 2.
I recommend and gift these to friends and family whenever they ask for mount recommendations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts