SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On our last oil change, performed by my inde with my oil and filter, I wanted to switch from Castrol Edge to Pennzoil Platinum, since the Castrol has a higher burnoff rate and the car has started using 1/2qt per 10k. All of the AutoParts stores near me were sold out of the Pennzoil, and not wanting to use Castrol again or go to Wal-Mart three days before xmas, I quickly grabbed Mobil 1. Today, I happened to see the extra bottle I keep and noticed M1 is no longer ACEA A5/B5 rated, which is specified in our manual. When I look up the ACEA ratings, the only difference is A1/B1 is for gasoline engines, and A5/B5 is for high performance gasoline engines, everything else is the same.

I know I am being a tad paranoid, but does anyone run Mobil 1 5w-30?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
On our last oil change, performed by my inde with my oil and filter, I wanted to switch from Castsol Edge to Pennzoil Platinum, since the Castrol has a higher burnoff rate and the car has started using 1/2qt per 10k. All of the AutoParts stores near me were sold out of the Pennzoil, and not wanting to use Castrol again or go to Wal-Mart three days before xmas, I quickly grabbed Mobil 1. Today, I happened to see the extra bottle I keep and noticed M1 is no longer ACEA A5/B5 rated, which is specified in our manual. When I look up the ACEA ratings, the only difference is A1/B1 is for gasoline engines, and A5/B5 is for high performance gasoline engines, everything else is the same.

I know I am being a tad paranoid, but does anyone run Mobil 1 5w-30?
who cares, A5B5 is junk, you should be A3/B4.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
who cares, A5B5 is junk, you should be A3/B4.
I care, since M1 is in the engine now and I am trying to decide whether to leave it until the next OC, or pull it early. The engine wasnt designed for A3/B4, and since its a thicker oil it cause issues down the road if used long term.

·
Registered
339 Posts
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717707

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I looked at that site. The link you posted is 9 years old. The new standards are exactly the same, except A5/B5 says high performance gasoline engines. I am just curious if anyone runs M1 5w-30.

Current Standards:

A1/B1: Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa.s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

http://www.lsaoils.com.au/acea-specifications.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm not even sure that Pennzoil Platinum is certified for A5/B5 (nor is Ultra Platinum). I think you'll be fine with Mobil 1. Way too much thought and debate over oil on forums.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Just had a Black Stone analysis on my Mobil 1 5/30 after 4,400 miles - excellent report:
- 0.1% insolubles - excellent oil filtration ( should be <.6)
- 7 for Silicon - below average - excellent air filtration (universal avg is 13)

Blackstone Laboratories Summary:
"Wear levels are generally below average, which is nice to see after an oil use interval that's the same 4,400 miles universal averages are based on. These Volvo 3.0L engines are very well made, and they don't produce much metal to begin with (as can be seen by the single-digit universal average wear metals), but this is one of the better wearing we've seen to date. Silicon is also below average, which tells us that air filtration is top-notch -- and the low .01% insolubles reading says the same about oil filtration. This is a great looking report and we don't see any issues here."

Pennzoil sent me a case of Ultra Platinum to test and compare to Mobil 1 - I'll run it for 4,400 miles and get a comparison report.

Reactions: CYB3RBYTE

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just had a Black Stone analysis on my Mobil 1 5/30 after 4,400 miles - excellent report:
- 0.1% insolubles - excellent oil filtration ( should be <.6)
- 7 for Silicon - below average - excellent air filtration (universal avg is 13)

Blackstone Laboratories Summary:
"Wear levels are generally below average, which is nice to see after an oil use interval that's the same 4,400 miles universal averages are based on. These Volvo 3.0L engines are very well made, and they don't produce much metal to begin with (as can be seen by the single-digit universal average wear metals), but this is one of the better wearing we've seen to date. Silicon is also below average, which tells us that air filtration is top-notch -- and the low .01% insolubles reading says the same about oil filtration. This is a great looking report and we don't see any issues here."

Pennzoil sent me a case of Ultra Platinum to test and compare to Mobil 1 - I'll run it for 4,400 miles and get a comparison report.
Thats great to hear! Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
8,737 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOL FORD 3.0L engines....
It's a Volvo designed motor built in a Ford plant; it was assumed that this motor would be used for European Ford and Jaguar models but it was only used in Volvo and 1 Land Rover (Freelander 2/LR2) vehicles.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's a Volvo designed motor built in a Ford plant; it was assumed that this motor would be used for European Ford and Jaguar models but it was only used in Volvo and 1 Land Rover (Freelander 2/LR2) vehicles.
Nothing wrong with a whole range of Ford motors, and in turbocharged form the SI6 is very competitive with BMW and Audi alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Nothing wrong with a whole range of Ford motors, and in turbocharged form the SI6 is very competitive with BMW and Audi alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I enjoy the 2.0T 4cyl in my dads 2015 Ford Fusion; definitely a nice motor and enough performance for everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Regular M1 has always been A1/B1 from what I've seen. I know the 0W40 of both M1 and castrol are A3/B4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Regular M1 has always been A1/B1 from what I've seen. I know the 0W40 of both M1 and castrol are A3/B4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
You may be right, but I swear I remember it being A5/B5 when I used to top off our Audi every other week. Hell, I saw so many oil containers with that car I may be misremembering.

EDIT: a few websites still list it as A5/B5, and bobtheoilguy.com says it switched over in 2014.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: I emailed Mobil 1 customer service and was told to call the Technical Help Line. I will update once I call.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts