SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Moan or groan when pulling into parking spot

4K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  kowalcs 
#1 ·
Our V8 has had this issue since day one and the dealer has been unable to fix it after two attempts. The noise can be reproduced easily by pulling into a parking spot, with the wheel turned hard to the right (not all the way though). Not sure if it does it on a left hand stop, as well. My wife is the daily driver. It's a very load moan or groan and it sounds terrible. It's kind of embarassing because it's so loud. I think it's a power steering issue as opposed to a braking issue because it only does it with the wheel turned and it will do it with my foot off the brake pedal. Last week, the dealer replaced the grommet between the steering column and firewall. Not sure why they thought this would fix the groan, but it hasn't.
Has anyone else experienced this sound and if so, what's the fix? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Moan or groan when pulling into parking spot (kowalcs)

Our T6 had this same issue for a long time. Dealer said it was the power steering fluid being low and perhpas air trapped in it. Its been about a month since they "fixed" it and so far no groaning noise. I actually thought it was the suspension but it only occured when the steering was turned sharply to the left or right while at low speeds.

#4 ·

We have exactly the same symptoms with our V8. I'll be interested to find out the cause and fix.

#5 ·
My v8 has done the same thing since day one. My shop foreman contacted Volvo,and they want to change the power steering pump. They are going to change one on someone elses car soon ( guinea pig ). If it works, I will have it done to mine. I still think it might be the rack. I will post as soon as I find out how it worked on this other car.

#6 ·
Re: (PA70RR)

Funny you say that. Our 'groaning' started around the same time that I noticed a 'klunky' feel through the steering wheel when I drop from the driveway into the street when backing out of the driveway on almost full right lock. I've been a little concerned about the front end suspension and or steering rack.

I'll be interested to learn what you find out.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#8 ·
Re: (kowalcs)

Yep, topped the fluid up to the full mark and bled the air out. So far the noise has not come back....touch wood.

#10 ·

I had the same thing from day one. My dealer quickly recognised it was the Rack from the steering as it was leaking power steering fluid. Since they've replaced the rack I'v not had that problem and its been 5 months now. Ask them to check the Rack.

Good Luck http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#11 ·
Well guys, I am trading in my 90 for an 06 Range rover today (same dealer), but I will follow up on the one car that was getting the new pump. I will also drive my old 90 when they put the pump on that. It might take a little while as my shop foreman is at some national Volvo mechanics competition. If it is the pump, I still wonder what possible damage it might cause the rack. I assume it is a fluid starvation situation.

I will report back soon.

#12 ·

Which Range Rover are you getting? Not the Range Rover Sport I hope? I test drove the Range Rover Sport (not the super charged model) and while it looked great and had a nice interior, the performance was pathetic. It could hardly get out of its own way despite the 300 HP V8. I'm talking about seriously bad performance!!

#13 ·
Re: (fleuger99)

Full size range rover. It feels just as powerful as my XC90 V8.

O.K. I talked to my volvo shop foreman today, and he said the power steering pump DID NOT fix the moan & groan. I will be keeping in touch with him and will post when he has a fix. He says the pump job was a real bear, the whole intake has to come off. He also said that it is very hard to properly bleed these systems and it might take some driving around and then a re-bleed. I will keep in touch. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by PA70RR »
Full size range rover. It feels just as powerful as my XC90 V8.

O.K. I talked to my volvo shop foreman today, and he said the power steering pump DID NOT fix the moan & groan. I will be keeping in touch with him and will post when he has a fix. He says the pump job was a real bear, the whole intake has to come off. He also said that it is very hard to properly bleed these systems and it might take some driving around and then a re-bleed. I will keep in touch. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks for the update!!!

#15 ·
Re: (kowalcs)

Well guys, I went to the dealer today and found out that my XC90 has already been sold.
the used car manager apparently did not take my advice to have the shop foreman drive the car for a couple of days. Hopefully the new owner will complain about the groan and bring it in for repair.

It is also possible that the PS lines themselves could be the cause. They are mostly solid alum. and not much rubber. While they are somewhat rubber mounted, they are bolted along the sub frame area. There have been some updated PS lines for the R cars, but none have been made for the V8.

I am still betting on the rack being the culprit.

As soon as I hear anything, I will report back.

#16 ·

Well today I found out that my dealership did not sell my old XC90, but they never told the shop foreman.

He is going to take it home for a couple of days, so I may have an update with some substance soon.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought some of you might be interested.

#17 ·

Yup,

Am still interested (and still getting the "groan" once in a while).

Thanks for any info.

#21 ·
Re: (stom_m3)

Hmmm... time to start a poll someone ??
"XC-90 owners who have experienced deep groan sound while turning on full, or nearly full, lock".....

#22 ·

I realize I'm late adding my two cents, but I haven't checked in for a while. Funny, though, I've been thinking about posting the 'moan and groan' issue I've had with my V8 for the last eight or nine months (I've had it a year.) I notice it when I'm pulling in and out of parking spots, particularly when I'm backing in and have the wheel turned all the way to the right. And I've always thought of it as more of a 'moan and crack,' because that's the sound I hear. The last time I had service done, I asked the dealership to check it out. They heard the creaking from the front end on their test drive and checked the front end bushing, which was okay. They "torqued the front control arm," which may have helped for a day, but the problem is still there. It actually makes me doubt the stability of the car, which is not a fun feeling, particularly when you've chosen a Volvo.

If anyone has any luck diagnosing and/or fixing this problem, please give a shout.

#23 ·
I have the same issue on my 2.5T and the dealership will not attempt to fix it anymore. They can reproduce the issue on the new cars on the lot so they say that it's "normal". I've read that there's a revised power steering component that may take care of the issue, even though it seems like a brake issue....but again, it seems that nobody has been able to pinpoint the problem.

#24 ·
Alright guys, this might be it !

New tech bulletin #64-21 and it applies to almost all Volvos from sometime in 04 on.
Volvo is saying that there could be too much free play in the rack, so they advise tightening the preload adjuster. This could possibly cure all the various noises discussed here in the last two years.

Hopefully this will help you guys out!

#26 ·

Quote, originally posted by PA70RR »
Alright guys, this might be it !

New tech bulletin #64-21 and it applies to almost all Volvos from sometime in 04 on.
Volvo is saying that there could be too much free play in the rack, so they advise tightening the preload adjuster. This could possibly cure all the various noises discussed here in the last two years.

Hopefully this will help you guys out!

THat's great. I've heard a similar noise at times when parking. Will ask at my next service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.