SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the weather is getting cooler, my 850 makes a moaning sould for about one minute after starting it and driving it. Has anyone seen this problem?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Are you sure it's the car moaning? Lord know's I'm guilty of moaning when getting into a cold car in the early AM! <P>Seriously though, I have noticed the same thing with my car. The turbo has <50K miles on it so I think it is fine. Likely something to do with the densitiy of the air and morning dew setting in the turbo FWIW. I can make the moaning go away quickly though. The stereo does the trick every time.<P>Cheers!<P>Prospero

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had this problem for a while and I still can't find what part is doing it. I've heard oil pump and oil thermostat, but it isn't causing any major problems yet so I just let it go for now. <P>Scott

·
Registered
217 Posts
Had the moan from the power steering pump, changed all the fluid, noise gone. You wont believe how dirty the fluid is! And this is one that never gets changed. Just my 2cents.<BR>I am with Prospero as well Volvo gave you a good unit for tunes it always helps.<BR>Sean

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sean,<BR>Interesting input! I'll have to do that to mine this week. BTW, know anyone who has installed an SC-900 in an 850? I may be doing so to mine and wasn't sure about some of the advanced functions working. I don't expect to use the DOlby feature but I was wondering about the information functions ect.<P>Prospero

·
Registered
217 Posts
Matt, I have not seen it done, I will check out some info on Mon for you. The functions should work may need the external amp for max thump, and some have dual ant imputs, like I said the 3 stacker system has been some trouble with the cd's stuck, I have taken some apart to retrieve cd's and can not see why the fault occurs, it is clear in other units but not this one.<P>Sean

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. Maybe I will be the first guy to do a retrofit into an 850 with the 900 series system.<P>Prospero

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Matt,<BR>No, you will not be the first one to do that. Lots of ppl have done that already.<BR>Now I don't even know if Mark wants to sell the unit.....

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Either way...I will give it a shot. I'm sure that I can find other units on the market. <P>Prospero

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Brickboard has an active thread on a very similar issue regarding the "gohstly moan" after starting up. Someone there seems to have traced it to synthetic oils >5w\30 weight and the oil filters ability to pass sufficent quantities on start up.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've been using Mobil 0W30 for several months now and the car loves it! I still do get the moan sound every now and then though. I have not yet changed my P. Steering fluid so that is next on the list. I'll post results. If you are even the slightest bit concerned about the moan, try the 0W30 at the next oil change. I have noticed a touch more consumption over the 7K miles than with the 10W30, but we are talking ounces if anything. Usually I will be down about 40 oz after collecting all oil from the pan and what pours out of the filter. Add the filter oil into the mix and it is about 6 ounces lost in all. Not too bad for hard driving and 197K miles on the clock. <P>Prospero

·
Registered
136 Posts
While you're talking about fluid changes, the Volvo specified brake fluid is frankly not up to the job of stopping Rs after a bit of fast stop-start motoring.<P>Go for DOT 5.1 spec fluid rather than Volvo's DOT 4 (I don't know what the equivalent is in the States, but basically it'll be competition spec stuff)<P>Another member of the performance group in the UK VOC nearly died when his brake fluid boiled in the calipers - he now has DOT 5.1 and an AP brake upgrade!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts