SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to buy a cheap Volvo S60 D3 from 2013 (Model 2014) but it doesn't has adaptive cruise control, also that smart headlight (Have Xenon) not to blind other road users. Is it possible to install these afterwards? Any tutorials on these?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hello,

I'm about to buy a cheap Volvo S60 D3 from 2013 (Model 2014) but it doesn't has adaptive cruise control, also that smart headlight (Have Xenon) not to blind other road users. Is it possible to install these afterwards? Any tutorials on these?
Anything is possible if you have enough money. In this case I'd expect at least $2,000, likely more. And you'd be largely in uncharted territory.

I can pretty much guarantee that it would be cheaper to find a car with those options from the get go.

·
Registered
2017 S60 Polestar
106 Posts
Pretty sure none of those are retrofittable. There's even a different windshield for cars with ACC (additional camera).
I'd much rather get a better engine instead of those two options.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
As other have said, both are possible with enough cash. ACC is a tough one as it requires replacement of so many new or used components and wiring harnesses. The Xenon headlights are for the most part plug and play, if you have all the harnesses. This has been done and documented on this forum.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As other have said, both are possible with enough cash. ACC is a tough one as it requires replacement of so many new or used components and wiring harnesses. The Xenon headlights are for the most part plug and play, if you have all the harnesses. This has been done and documented on this forum.
Headlights are $700+ (US) per side (so about $1,500 total) to buy them new from Volvo. And they would require using something like VDASH to enable the active function in the CEM. You can get them for less (about a thousand for the pair) new from some dealerships that offer discounts, but suggested price from Volvo is about $1,500.

Technically possible, but not remotely cheap even though it's "just" switching out the lights and enabling the feature in software. Though if there are no hardware differences for the smart headlights and it's just software it might be feasible in VDASH.

·
Registered
2017 S60 Polestar
106 Posts
He's talking about the active highbeam, which has nothing to do with the headlights. He even mentioned the car has Xenon discharge bulbs.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
He's talking about the active highbeam, which has nothing to do with the headlights. He even mentioned the car has Xenon discharge bulbs.
It has everything to do with the headlamps. There are no active mechanisms in our U.S. spec headlamps to control the auto high beam function. Of course that varies by location, so it might be different for you in Europe.

I believe there was a thread on exploring the different product numbers to determine which lamps support which functions. I was recent, maybe six months ago or less.

(I have an open U.S. spec xenon headlamp in my basement that I explored to entertain a projector retrofit idea I had).

To Add: I believe you also need the correct cameras to support AHB as well, so if you don't have them then that's another hardware issue. I played around trying to enable TSI but that is linked to the Tech Package cameras which I don't have.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are multiple xenon headlight part numbers. I have not been able to verify that the active high beam feature is software only so I gave rough prices for the HID part numbers in addition to mentioning the need for a software change. In addition to active bending and active high beam, non-US cars like the OP's D3 also offered active beam shaping, which absolutely does require additional hardware in the light itself since it is dynamically configuring the beam pattern instead of just switching off the high beam.

Whether that hardware is present with the standard HID lights in other markets (it is definitely absent from US HID lights) and merely disabled electronically or whether the hardware is absent and new headlights are necessary I have not been able to verify.

It is also possible that a different windshield camera setup is used for the system - I do not know whether the standard city safety cameras are used for active headlights or whether there are additional cameras necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts