SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Happens from time to time. One detector is located somewhere in the center console, near one of the cup holder that has a key fob icon. I found that sometimes having someone else enter the vehicle (with a smartphone) could trigger that message. I suspect has to do with the RF signal strength of the detector relative to other things around it.

I ignore the message and sometimes press the "O" button on the center of the right d-pad on the steering wheel to make it take up less space on the dashboard screen.

If the false missing key detection happens before starting the engine, which have happened to me on occasion, I simply exit the vehicle, close the door, and see if I can trigger an lock or unlock (either one) using the door handle. If that works, then I can enter and start the vehicle without issues.

With smartphones having various RF channels at various frequencies (bluetooth, NFC, wireless charging, FM, IR, ...), I imagine the key fob detector has to deal with a lot of noise. There might be some restriction posed by the radar part of the Sensus collision avoidance system placed behind the rearview mirror, that limit the strength of the key fob detector's radio as well.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If this is shown for two keys consistently, I'd get dealer take a look.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,038 Posts
The keys might be low on battery. Try placing those keys in the front cupholder where the key sensor is. If it does not alert you then, it might be dying batteries. If it still does, something else might be in play.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car is < 1 mo old. I’ve noticed it complains when passengers come in or out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Car is < 1 mo old. I’ve noticed it complains when passengers come in or out.
And the passenger has a smartphone, most likely? (this is the case for me, although it doesn't happen every time a passenger with a smartphone enters or exits)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. 100% smartphone on them. Not all the time, though. If this is the case, what’s the remedy?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yep. 100% smartphone on them. Not all the time, though. If this is the case, what’s the remedy?
I'd place the key fob on the cupholder area that has the key fob logo embossed on it. But in general, I don't like doing that lest I forget taking the key with me when I get out of the vehicle.

I chose to live with it. I assume with so many RF signals everywhere, this kind of intermittent false alarm is inevitable. I'm still partial to using old school physical key, but it is a matter of time I suppose.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,038 Posts
And the passenger has a smartphone, most likely? (this is the case for me, although it doesn't happen every time a passenger with a smartphone enters or exits)

We keep our two iPhones (my wife's & mine) in the cup holders while the key is always in my right pocket. Never once have I had an alert or error regarding my key missing. In fact, the system is so freaking smart, my wife was driving our car and picking me up and forgot the key in the cupholder while getting out of the car and letting me drive and the system alarmed her that she's forgetting her key in the cup holder (even when she wasn't out from her seat). That's brilliant!

·
Registered
162 Posts
We keep our two iPhones (my wife's & mine) in the cup holders while the key is always in my right pocket. Never once have I had an alert or error regarding my key missing.
+1
The only time I have ever had the Missing Key Fob warning was when I actually did get out of the car with it running to grab something or open the door for someone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am getting this issue with both our keys. The batteries have been replaced. We also find that we can't open the car as it appears to not find the key. The dealer said there may be some atena issue. Need to take it in to get looked at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts