SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 V70, new to me, and i just tried to adjust the steering column.
ha ha ha, that's not going to happen anytime soon:

no handle by speedyspady, on Flickr

is this a hard fix, or not too bad?
also, the steering wheel itself is tired (and looks grimy no matter what i use to clean it). are they pretty straightforward to change out, or should i opt for a nice cover instead?

thanks, again, to all of you who share your knowledge with us newbies. :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
Unfortunately there is no easy way to repair that and you will need to remove the steering column to do it. The hardware that secures it to the column goes all the way to the other side and I believe the part number is 1282864.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The steering wheel, however, is a super easy swap. First time you do it, you will be frusterated trying to get the long torque bolts in the back. But, next time you do it, you will know what you're doing. I can swap it out in like 5-10 minutes now.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Oh, and I guess I should probably tell you how to change the steering wheel....

First, unplug your battery and MAKE SURE YOUR WHEELS ARE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.
If you look at the back of the wheel, there should be two holes. Insert a looong screwdriver in the back of them (it's either a T20 or a T25). Take out the two bolts. Then, you unplug the airbag and it comes right off (that's what's in the center of the steering wheel. Says Volvo on it, and you hit it to make the horn blare when some douchebag cuts you off). After that, you remove the giant nut in the middle, which was hidden by the airbag you just removed. Next, remove steering wheel (making sure it's perfectly straight) and replace the nut. Replace airbag. Replace long bolts. Plug in battery. Go get a beer.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It only pivots up and down, I bet you could get it to move at least once just by prying in there with a screwdriver. Get it set at the best compromise and then leave it.

I happen to have the entire dash out of my C70 right now, I can take some pics of the whole assembly exposed tonight if it'll help you.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Up and down AND in and out

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, JRL, as usual... this is the best place for the best information. i am ok with the streering wheel adjustment as is, so i'm not going to monkey with that unless i'm already taking the dash off for something else (which for now, happily, i don't have a reason to do). makes me wonder how they broke it... but i'm probably better not knowing ;)

i need to find a new steering wheel (or, better wheel of the same vintage). anywhere you like for that kind of shopping?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
thanks, JRL, as usual... this is the best place for the best information. i am ok with the streering wheel adjustment as is, so i'm not going to monkey with that unless i'm already taking the dash off for something else (which for now, happily, i don't have a reason to do). makes me wonder how they broke it... but i'm probably better not knowing ;)

i need to find a new steering wheel (or, better wheel of the same vintage). anywhere you like for that kind of shopping?
It's not THAT hard a job, he scared you off. Not the dash, just the steering wheel and sometimes you can fudge it in without removing the wheel.

Breaking it is actually quite easy.
Someone forgot to put it back up and when they got in, their knee snapped it while it was in the down position, it's not very strong.

I have a perfect dark tan wheel, (center is charcoal) what color is yours?
You can re-dye yours perfectly, not that hard to do.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I meant the handle, not the wheel.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know the color code (am tardy in looking it up) but dark tan sounds right. I think they called iit sandstone...
Pm me about the steering wheel... If you're looking to let it go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts