SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I started ripping apart my interior to get a wire FM transmitter installed and I ended up takinga look at my shark fin connections. I am only connected on one side. Is this normal?

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I think one side may be dedicated to GPS/Nav. Not 100% sure, though.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, as I have gps.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
I think they use the car metal as a ground plane so only 1 lead is needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,205 Posts
What you see is probably the GPS. Otherwise the fin is only used for satellite radio.

FM and AM antennas are in the windows. Both my S40 shark fins were just dummies. Nothing ran to them.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you see is probably the GPS. Otherwise the fin is only used for satellite radio.

FM and AM antennas are in the windows. Both my S40 shark fins were just dummies. Nothing ran to them.
YUP! That's entirely the case. The sharkfin is for GPS and Satilite radio (missing lead in my case) and the AM/FM antenna is in the rear window. You can access the lead by opening up the driver side c pillar.

Thanks! I now have an aux in!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wait, aux in....how?!?! I need that!!!!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Jeff, here is my post from "what'd you do to your car"

I finally have an aux input even though I have premium sound.

I bought this:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QBG614

and used this write up:
http://volvo.philipfotos.com/English...ll_ver_6_5.pdf

And I am pretty damn happy

I will try and get some quick pictures. Essentially, you'd be tapping in at the antenna connection in the rear c pillar of the car.

Here are a few notes:
It uses 9v battery connections, but it has both positives on one side and both negatives on the other. The write up will show you how to make the cables, just note that the positives are connected to the male and the negatives to the female antenna extension cable. ( I don't think it actually matters, but I followed this and mine is working well)

The FM Transmitter that I posted has fairly short leads and is meant to take care of this all up by the radio, not being connected in at the rear of the car and routed forward. So you'll need some extension cables for the antenna input/output. I would buy something long like this (you'll need two) http://smile.amazon.com/Metra-44-EC...pebp=1447007023429&perid=1MQBNW1MN59BFE00PBFB

I am using some shorter extenstion cables from my local autoparts store and it wasn't enough so my FM transmitter box is under my seat, not hidden away in the center console like I wanted. I think I am going to purchase those above and reroute them there.

EDIT: Screw it, I did a video, I'll have it up in a sec.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You, sir, are the freaking MAN!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You, sir, are the freaking MAN!
Sorry this took so long, but here is the video with a quick explaination of what I did. The upload kept failing, but finally got it to go!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts