SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you may have heard of an issue I had a week ago when trying to check the temp sensor.

I'm starting to think I have an other problem...

Tonight got back from home the engine was warm from driving back from the office.
I loaded my road bike to go for a ride and when I started the car again it didn't feel right. As if the engine was going to stall. I pulled back, start driving and I could tell the car was not responsive. I came back to the driveway. I turned it off. Wait a little and started again. Things seemed to be better.

It's the exact same pattern as before. Warm engine - stopped for 1/2 hr - start > shudder/weak engine/not responsive - stop - start again - seems okay.

Went for a drive came back - pulled the ODB reader and got 4 codes.
- Miss-fire
- Cylinder 1 miss-fire
- Cylinder 2 miss-fire
- Cylinder 3 miss-fire

I'm worried because I used an other shop for the first time for my service. What could they have done wrong. As soon as the engine is cool enough I'll check around oil, etc, but I doubt it's fluide/oil related. I don't think they did much either. The problem started maybe 2/3 weeks after the service so I don't want to be overly or unnecessarily suspicious.

Could be that temp sensor but the reading seem in line with the temperature give or take a few degree.

So I'm not sure what to check at this point!
Any help is well appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I thought more details was better than not enough!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Most likely cause of multicylinder misfire is bad gas. Have you filled up anyplace new lately?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Just a regular service or a big service with replaced components like plugs or anything?

These cars don't generally go thru coils so is likely fuel related I would guess.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 99% of the time I always go to the same gas station so I don't think it's that...

The service was mostly oil, oil filter, check fluids, that sort of thing...

I did found the inlet hose not properly put back ( the little elbow you need to remove to get to the oil filter cap).
Nothing to worry there but frustrating though!

So what can I check that would be easy for me to do before I decide to take it in?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump,

please help! . . . when ever you can :)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Sure sounds like lack of fuel. I believe in another post you stated that the PEM was replaced. Same with the fuel pressure sensor? Those are the common problems. I doubt it's a vacuum leak because of the way the car "fixes" itself by restarting. Ambient temp sensor is not the problem. Something electrical is affecting the mixture though.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not actually sure I mentioned the PEM but I did have a recall done a while ago, I think it was about relocating possibly the fuel pump (?) - I can't quite recall for sure - that had issue with corrosion under certain condition.
The PEM, I'm not sure. What does it do? Where is it originally? and where should it be?

Not sure how to trouble shoot that one though without going to the dealer for further diagnostic! I almost cleared the code tonight to see if I would get them again but if I do that there's no point of going to the dealer. They'll tell me. We don't see anything wrong...

I was also thinking of changing the fuel line pressure sensor. Is that what the PEM is?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Sounds like You had the PEM already , so Fuel Pressure sensor would be next , but a Code would help .

Do You have recent plugs , If not how many miles on those current one , approx . ? ( Sure the Gap on those are OK )

SS have seen at least 5-6 of the Fuel pressure sensors go , and that just the ones We hear of .

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like You had the PEM already , so Fuel Pressure sensor would be next , but a Code would help .

Do You have recent plugs , If not how many miles on those current one , approx . ? ( Sure the Gap on those are OK )

SS have seen at least 5-6 of the Fuel pressure sensors go , and that just the ones We hear of .
I've changed the plugs a while back 2 years ago or so. Considering my mileage I'd be surprised if it was the plugs. Plus 3 out of 5 cylinders misfiring all at the same time I'd say it's from something else... hmmm but what.
Yes I try to get a new fuel pressure sensor...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
When You say It Fixes by restarting , so Your able toi Drive it for Miles and Miles
No Issue at all once You restart ?

I Pull connections on all Sensors , clean If necessary , but Unplugging and replugging is enough to get good connections .
Boost Sensor , does do Calculations for the MAP .

Either Boost sensor or Fuel P Sensor , would be My call .

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
When You say It Fixes by restarting , so Your able toi Drive it for Miles and Miles
No Issue at all once You restart ?
Well, that's actually hard to say because once it did that I get so paranoiac about it that I'm feeling hesitation or weird behaviors. It's hard to explain...
What I can tell you is that:

- first of all I have not had noticeable misfire at speed once it seems okay at idle.
- Two the worst has been at idle which makes me think it's not a boost sensor issue.
- Three, there is a noticeable difference when it's acting up with misfire from when I'm not sure. When it's acting up there is no mistake the engine is not running properly. More vibrations, almost-stalling effects, total, but intermittent, drop in response if I start driving like that. I only tried once to drive like that and I turned around pretty quick. I went to the end of the street and as I engaged in the intersection the car would not respond at all as I pressed the gas pedal until finally it started to again. Weird feel at an intersection :p

Outside of that, when I restart, I can't really be as positive as when it's obviously acting up. There could be a reoccurring problem, like boost hesitation, or over boost effect, but honestly I can't be sure. it could be in my head from simply over analyzing my driving and unconsciously adding hesitations.

And yes I was able to drive for a 30 miles round trip without any shuttering/stalling effect at a light after I restarted. Though I kept wandering the all time if it was running as it usually does.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomorrow I'll add fuel.
This weekend I'll try to figure out how to clean the MAF.
I'll try to check senors though I'm not sure which/where yet...

Should I reset my CELs until it does it again? It can't hurt I think. I'd like to know if I get a CEL when driving normally and without the obvious rough idle...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Fuel Pressure Sensor. I had somewhat the same problems. Did the sensor and good to go. I would have the pressure tested and tested while driving. youll most likely see a fluctuation in there somewhere causing the problems. OR just replace it 180 from viva is worth it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuel Pressure Sensor. I had somewhat the same problems. Did the sensor and good to go. I would have the pressure tested and tested while driving. youll most likely see a fluctuation in there somewhere causing the problems. OR just replace it 180 from viva is worth it.
I'm going to order one ASAP...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
What's going on George? You have a viva alert system you always know when someone mentioned your name ;)

I hate to say but $195 it's a little steep but I understand it's close to the Volvo price...
If I get that version I'll let you know...
Lots going on here Greg!
Hehe, I like to read threads my clients post where I can offer some help. :)

·
Registered
7,251 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lots going on here Greg!
I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. Just a friendly tease . . . ;)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Lots going on here Greg!
Hey , George-y
Lovely weather We are having perfect for Fixing Your Volvo Up , so TG Order that Dam Part and Get It Fixed already ! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts