SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally home and able to work on the car, it sporadically gave me trouble starting up before so i put in new coils yesterday. I replaced the spark plugs when i first got it a few months ago so they're basically new too. It starts up a lot better now but once i drive it after the warmup cycle is done it'll misfire a little. My boost gauge goes from -20 to around -15 for each pop to give some sort of scale. It doesn't happen a lot but it is noticable in the steering wheel when it happens. It seems to go away once the car is warmed up. Is it due to the cold or is the car just needing to acclimate to them? The old ones seemed really aged and worn. The new ones are OEM from fcp. They have like some white inner coating inside the boot when the old ones didn't. Anyone know what's up? I've put maybe 50 miles on the new coils.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Coils are either good or bad, at times they can be intermittently causing a misfire but that means its bad. If a coil is working properly, replacing it won't improve anything. I only replace failed coils on any car. I've had engines with original coils go over 300K miles. I would double check your plugs and if they are not Volvo Plugs, they can cause issues. Make sure they are the ones for the R head. Maybe pull the plugs and see if there is any buildup on the electrode. Different colors and conditions of the plugs can mean different issues.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plugs were good, the car just wasn't starting smoothly or took forever. the new coils seem to have fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've had a boost leak for a little while and i'm working on tracking it. waiting for the CEL to come back on before checking with vida, i reset the fuses after putting the coils in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had the same issue with my car, new plugs and coils and still had a missfire. It ended up being an injector. Swap the injector that is having issues and see if it follows to the new cyl.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i took it to a local volvo shop where the mechanic owns an R. apparently when my dad and i were working on the car, he didn't tighten the OTE pipe enough in the back. he put it back in right and it runs well. he did pull a bcm code for the rpm sensor and he seemed to know that sometimes it gives me issues starting, although i replaced it. he told me to come back if it started acting up again or i got another CEL so we'll see. the coils did help my idle, mpg, and overall smoothness though.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
This is exactly why I rather do every part of my project than have any helpers, lol. :p

The only exception is at least one other helper for heavy or bulky stuff, like pulling the engine or putting back on the nose of the car.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he wanted to like, see how the car works and **** so i told him he can help lol. lesson learned :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts