SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i have potentially a big problem. i was driving home on the freeway and i suddenly lost power. triggered a CEL and i limped home.

No CEL when i got home, but the error code showed that i have a misfire on Cylinder 4. i replaced all 5 plugs with new OEM. the plug on #4 didn't look good and the gap went up to .040". the others were good. I have fairly new IPD HD coil packs and i tested that i'm getting a spark on #4. i swapped them anyway and confirmed that the misfire is still on #4. I swapped injectors and still a misfire on #4.

other than checking to see if the injector is getting a signal, the only thing left is a leak down/compression test. (a tool that i don't have)

i'm worried that i have a cracked sleeve...:mad:

the R is going in to the shop on wednesday.

oddly enough the shop said they're replacing the motor on another owners R right now. Said they the owner burned up the motor with low coolant. so, he took the last block that somebody had.:(

anybody have any ideas? any questions for me to rule out a new motor or head? the car has 115K on the clock.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Hey anything is possible. If you've covered everything related to that one cylinder...wouldn't be a bad idea to move on to other things until you can get compression tested and what not :)

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you have a cracked sleeve you will have to do a compression test or better, leak down test. For sure it will point you in the right direction. For the labor that you will have to pay for remove your head and check, i think is better to get a DICE/VIDA and make a datalog, check also all the codes and trying to follow instructions. For the cost it will help you later to make other repairs/services.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
hi guys, i have potentially a big problem. i was driving home on the freeway and i suddenly lost power. triggered a CEL and i limped home.

No CEL when i got home, but the error code showed that i have a misfire on Cylinder 4. i replaced all 5 plugs with new OEM. the plug on #4 didn't look good and the gap went up to .040". the others were good. I have fairly new IPD HD coil packs and i tested that i'm getting a spark on #4. i swapped them anyway and confirmed that the misfire is still on #4. I swapped injectors and still a misfire on #4.

other than checking to see if the injector is getting a signal, the only thing left is a leak down/compression test. (a tool that i don't have)

i'm worried that i have a cracked sleeve...:mad:

the R is going in to the shop on wednesday.

oddly enough the shop said they're replacing the motor on another owners R right now. Said they the owner burned up the motor with low coolant. so, he took the last block that somebody had.:(

anybody have any ideas? any questions for me to rule out a new motor or head? the car has 115K on the clock.
You might be looking at a failing head gasket. Are you losing any coolant? I was getting a misfire on cylinder 5 just before my head gasket failed and was losing quite a bit of coolant. If your coolant level is good, then you're on the right track with the leak down test.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be looking at a failing head gasket. Are you losing any coolant? I was getting a misfire on cylinder 5 just before my head gasket failed and was losing quite a bit of coolant. If your coolant level is good, then you're on the right track with the leak down test.
i've started and stopped the car a good dozen times in my garage and there's fluid on the ground under the tailpipe. i'll check to see if smells like coolant. it's not a puddle but much more than i would expect to see.

when i recently had the timing belt changed the shop topped up the coolant reservoir a bit over the max line. and i've consistently noticed that it stayed there for the past month or so. now the level is sitting right at the line. so yes, i'm losing coolant. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
thats why i think a leak down test will help if you do and you see bubles on the coolant tank, def. you have a blown headgasket. I have seen people losing small amounts of coolant with blow engine gasket.

this guy has a really good vidoes:

check min. 20 when he talks about leak down test results.
http://youtu.be/WgrfT0LFMhc

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats why i think a leak down test will help if you do and you see bubles on the coolant tank, def. you have a blown headgasket. I have seen people losing small amounts of coolant with blow engine gasket.

this guy has a really good vidoes:

check min. 20 when he talks about leak down test results.
http://youtu.be/WgrfT0LFMhc
The car is going in on Wednesday for a leak down test. i'm def. losing coolant.

if i had a cracked sleeve - and assuming it cracked where they all crack on these engines - wouldn't i see a misfire or compression loss on the adjacent cylinder? the plugs on the adjacent cylinders looked squeaky clean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts