SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry to keep asking questions more than I answer them, maybe I will be able to help more when I get more experience with this car! Haha. Anyhow my car started missing pretty bad out of nowhere. Diagnostic at the parts store showed codes for mulltiple misfire and misfire on cylinders 3, 4, 5. I changed the spark plugs already as the original plugs were still in it (2004 haha) But it doesn't show if its the coils or something else. Smelled gas coming out of the cylinders that were misfiring when I took the old plugs out. I figure it is most likely the ignition coils, but there is a chance it could be bad injectors as well. Which one do you guys think would be the most likely to be the problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I am ordering both along with a service manual. Maybe if I get this fixed somebody else having the problem will get an idea of what to do

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What model year mileage ect? My first guess is coils as well check ebay I've seen them for like 15 a piece

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's most likely your coils. I'd change them all. Plugs/coils are the most common problem for misfires with these cars.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
More than likely coils... The for sure way to help verify that is to swap around the good coils to the misfiring cylinders. If the misfire moves to the cylinders that the good coils were moved to, then it's your coils. If the misfire stays on the same cylinders as they originally occurred, then it could be the injectors. You shouldn't be smelling gas though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Start off with buying a new set of coils. Seeing that 3 of the 5 are bad I would assume the next 2 are on their way out. Very easy to replace as you may have found out if you have done your plugs recently. 95% of the time there is a misfire it is a bad Coil Pack. Good luck with the fix

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Start off with buying a new set of coils. Seeing that 3 of the 5 are bad I would assume the next 2 are on their way out. Very easy to replace as you may have found out if you have done your plugs recently. 95% of the time there is a misfire it is a bad Coil Pack. Good luck with the fix
That statement couldn't be any more incorrect. Most misfires are not a bad pack, sorry to say. I used to have an '01 S40, and every misfire it had (with the exception of any I had related to bad compression from a bad piston ring) was caused by a plug itself (and even then it was from oil mucking up the plug tips). I never replaced a bad coil pack on that car. You're more likely to have a misfire from a bad plug than a bad pack. Not to say he doesn't have a bad coil pack, because he surely might. But I would not go out and buy all new packs just because a of misfire. Why replace ones that are still good? He can easily isolate if it's actually a bad pack, or a bad plug, or something else. With the cost of plugs, you're better off replacing all of those first, then determining if a pack is an issue before dropping $300+ on a set of those.

On that note, I'd highly recommend swapping around the coil packs FIRST, to see if the issue moves from cylinder to cylinder since you've already replaced your plugs recently. A bad coil pack will not cause you to smell gasoline as you mentioned you did in the original post. Also I've heard that issue can arise with the boots to the coil packs and the connection with them. Again, NOT a bad coil pack itself as the insulation boots to my understanding are replaceable by themselves. Good luck!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you spent the time reading what OP first stated, he already replaced his plugs. I am suggesting that the majority of people who post on this thread about misfires, 95% of the time come back saying it was a bad coil pack. If you determine your packs are bad why not spend the extra money on quality coil packs. To each their own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's for all of the advice. I odered a new set of coils for $60 off ebay. So I will find out friday if this is the issue or not. As far as the cars info. It's an 2004 s60 2.5t with a little more than 120k miles

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have ordered coils from ebay for my old T5 and they ended up fixing the misfiring issues I was dealing with. Keep us updated on how everything works out.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
$60 total, or each!? If so, that's a damn good deal! I know that iPD has the OEM Bosch coils for $270 for all, that's $54 a coil. The coils aren't super expensive, but still substantially more than the cost of plugs.

I know that the OP replaced his plugs, I read his post. If you read my post completely, you'd see that I acknowledged that. ;) A first timer might get the impression that replacing coils trumps all else from your reply. That in mind, I would agree that coils are probably 95% of the problem after plugs have been replaced for new ones and issues still persist. Going from the OP's mention of gasoline smell when he replaced the plugs, that would lead me to believe that it's not the coils, but rather something fuel related like the injectors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a set of five for $60. I am hopeing it isn't the injectors, but I looked into it and it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to replace them the injectors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was excited when I saw it. As long as the parts work I will be happy. Getting the injectors from UPS later on today so, fingers crossed! Haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I got the coils yesterday and changed them out. No more miss! So that was the issue. On to the other things I need to fix o__O

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Glad to hear that solved your issue!!

I saw some coils on Ebay for $60, made by some company called IgnitionTech. They look legit and claim all copper coils inside which is what you want. How goo is something like that verses the OEM Bosch part? One of OEM is the same as a full set (5 pieces) of these... How picky is our S60's when it comes to plugs and coils? My '01 S40 I had previously was always recommended for OEM Volvo branded when it came to plugs and coils. If the IgnitionTech are good to use, then I'll order a set right now. Just want some insight on this.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

I saw some coils on Ebay for $60, made by some company called IgnitionTech. They look legit and claim all copper coils inside which is what you want. How goo is something like that verses the OEM Bosch part? One of OEM is the same as a full set (5 pieces) of these... How picky is our S60's when it comes to plugs and coils? My '01 S40 I had previously was always recommended for OEM Volvo branded when it came to plugs and coils. If the IgnitionTech are good to use, then I'll order a set right now. Just want some insight on this.
Lifetime warranty so what can go wrong right? I'm gonna give em a try I think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I actually bought that set of coils from ignition tech. They seem to be running great in my car since I put them in a few days ago.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That's +2 on them now. I think I might dip into a set.

Plugs... What's the general consensus... OEM Volvo plugs, or are Bosch FR7DPP+ (which to my understanding is the same plug as OEM) just fine to use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts