SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few misc questions for anyone with experience in these areas. I've had my 2004 c70 (manual 2.3 HPT) since last May and have benefited from this forum in learning some about some of the "issues" common to these cars. On this front I had a few quick questions if anyone had experience in these areas:
1) the window regulator - how do you know if yours is ready for replacement? Mine is obviously a bit dodgy (the window goes down with a "thud" and it doesn't sound exactly right) but if I hadn't read about how bad they are, I might not think too much of it. Net, I'm not going to fix until I have to - how do you know? does the window stop going up?
2) the manual gear box - mine occasionally "pops" out of second in an odd manner - this is not right either but again something I can live with. Is this likely a clutch issue or an issue with the gearbox? Anyone experience anything like this?
thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 04 c70 on the window if you can take the door panel off the window is run buy a cable check to make sure its not binding up on anything and get some grease on the cable you don't want to wait for it to brake you are looking at 600 bucks new mine broke found one on line at a junk yard paid 495.00 for it good luck with it the windows are not cheep to fix on a C70 I found out

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
As for the shifter, inspect the shift bushings and the cable end bracket on the transmission, for looseness and excessive play. In my experience on these cars if it pops out of gear it's because it wasn't put in all the way, which can be a shifter issue. A lot of guys replace the bushings with solid plastic or brass, which increases vibration in the shift knob but makes it much more solid to put into gear.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The window thud at bottom of travel is due to a missing piece of rubber bumper. There is a service bulletin on that, but the condition is harmless. I suggest living with it until something more substantial fails (it will). You could always stop the window manually before it gets all the way down if it is too embarrassing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My window regulator died right after I bought my car. The cable came off the track. It worked just fine until it suddenly slipped and kinked the cable. I replaced it myself and though it is a pain, it wasn't too bad. Bought a new one from tasca Volvo.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My theory on why the window regulators fail is that the cable stretches. This causes the front of the window to sag below the back and the forces on the sheaves/pulleys is high and things bind until something breaks. Wish there was an easy way to shorten the cable. That would prolong the dirty deed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts