SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.<p>Just want to know if you can confirm the following and/or have any suggestions on dealing with it (such as, you know whether there are software options for these that can be set at the dealer): <p>- Headlight washers on active bi-xenon lights. Manual states that they will go one at a time, once per 10 minutes of windshield washing triggers. What the manual doesn't state is that the headlamp washers will basically shoot the headlamp and the 2 lanes of traffic on either side of the car! Questions: does the headlamp washer have a different software option for timing (rather than once per 10 minutes, the default from my V50, which was once every 5 times washed, seems much more logical)<p>-iPod interface: the bluetooth phonebook allows you to "quick access" parts of the directory by typing in a letter with the keypad. The iPod interface does not, apparently, and this is a shame. Any way to get through 200 listings between A and K quickly?<p>-faceplates for stereo and gear shifter: the chrome on these faceplates is extremely prone to severe glare. I checked with the dealer; Volvo doesn't offer anything in other finishes. Volvo, I would strongly recommend that you tone down the chrome finish and offer something not reflective. Anyone know of an aftermarket "decal" or some kind of way to mitigate this?<p>- I've heard conflicting reports of whether the larger capacity iPod classics will work with this car or not. I'd like to get an 80GB or larger iPod to just leave in the car; managing a library for an 8GB nano is a pain.<p>That's about it so far. Really liking the car otherwise.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by etherfarm at 9:57 AM 5-18-2009</i>

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (etherfarm)

I have no issues with the headlamp washers.<p>I have absolutely no issues with the apparent glare from the chrome bits of the car. I would ask that Volvo does not "tone it down".<p>My issues are that the driver sunvisor has a "cut" on the left inferior side allowing sun through.<p>The area in the centre console for change is very awkward making it difficult to get change out (therefore I do not use it).<p>Annoying rattle has developed from the centre "floating" console.<p>Driver door "sounds different" upon closure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (rovermark)

1. I wish i could choose when to use the headlight washers, here in Australia we could probably go months without the need to wash the headlights. I live by the coast & wash the salt spray off the windscreen daily but do not need the headlight wash function. i think I read on this forum that you can remove the fuse for the headlight wash pump????<br>2. The sunvisor with the angled side is the dumbest design, obviously the person responsible never drove the car in daylight, I have a large square logo sticker from my daughters beer company stuck in the gap spot on the windscreen, it fills in the gap left by the sunvisor perfectly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (gregorc08)

Agreed, gregorc. I don't mind washing the headlights every now and then (though the XC70 seems to be quite a bit more liberal with its use of fluid for the headlight washing)--as I said, the setup they had in the V50 was much smarter (once every x times, rather than once every x minutes). <p>So, no one knows definitively if a 120GB or 160GB iPod classic will work in this car?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rovermark</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The area in the centre console for change is very awkward making it difficult to get change out (therefore I do not use it).</TD></TR></TABLE><p>For coins, I used the pouch in the front of the chair on the V50, and I continue to do so in the XC70. It's nice in that the coins never rattle. I just grab a handful and pick out the ones I need, then throw the rest back in.<p>I do wish Volvo kept the same front-of-the-seat pouch in the backseats as they do in the V50. That center pouch was a great place to store chargers.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (gregorc08)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>gregorc08</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. I wish i could choose when to use the headlight washers, here in Australia we could probably go months without the need to wash the headlights. I live by the coast & wash the salt spray off the windscreen daily but do not need the headlight wash function. i think I read on this forum that you can remove the fuse for the headlight wash pump????<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>You sure you're right? Manual says it's washed every xx times:<p>High-pressure headlight washing (option)<p>High-pressure headlight washing consumes a<br>large quantity of washer fluid. To save fluid, the<br>headlights are washed using two alternatives:<p>• Low/high beam headlights on. The headlights<br>will be washed the first time the windshield<br>is washed. Thereafter, the headlights<br>will only be washed once for every<br>five times the windshield is washed within<br>a 10-minute period.<p>• Parking lights on. Optional Active Bi-<br>Xenon headlights will be washed once for<br>every five times the windshield is washed.<br>Normal halogen headlights will not be<br>washed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (Lotus99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Lotus99</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">• Low/high beam headlights on. The headlights will be washed the first time the windshield<br>is washed. Thereafter, the headlights will only be washed once for every five times the windshield is washed <B>within a 10-minute period.</B></TD></TR></TABLE> <p>Bolded the relevant part.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>etherfarm</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> <p>Bolded the relevant part.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ahhh...so if 10 minutes goes by, even if you've only washed once in the 10 minutes prior, they will get washed again?<p>On my 2000 Audi A4, the headlights would only get washed if they were on, so I would turn them off for a second when washing the windshield to avoid them being washed automatically. Tried it but it didn't work on this car. I actually posted this topic myself a month or two ago...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Lotus99</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Ahhh...so if 10 minutes goes by, even if you've only washed once in the 10 minutes prior, they will get washed again?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Right. <p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Lotus99</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On my 2000 Audi A4, the headlights would only get washed if they were on, so I would turn them off for a second when washing the windshield to avoid them being washed automatically. Tried it but it didn't work on this car.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That's interesting about the Audi, and a smart solution. Volvo got the rear wiper right (if the wipers are on and you go into reverse, the rear wiper goes on). Surprised they didn't apply the same logic to the headlamp washers.<p>Maybe it's the DRLs?<p>Anyway, seems like something that would otherwise be a great option in the menu.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>etherfarm</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>That's interesting about the Audi, and a smart solution. Volvo got the rear wiper right (if the wipers are on and you go into reverse, the rear wiper goes on). Surprised they didn't apply the same logic to the headlamp washers.<p>Maybe it's the DRLs?<p>Anyway, seems like something that would otherwise be a great option in the menu. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>It might have had to do with the DRL's on the Audi being the fog lights by default, which was nice, but still smart logic on their part to have them only work when the headlights are on. Even though on these cars the main low beams are the DRL's, even when you turn them off (instead of leaving the light switch on Auto) they still get washed, which is the annoying part. If my headlights are off, what the heck's the point of washing them?

·
Registered
621 Posts

It is true though that the DRLs are any different from ordinary night driving lights? My impression is that on this car the DRLs are the same as the low beam lights on any other car. In that case in makes sense that the headlamp washers work.<p>The headlight switch serves no useful purpose on Canadian cars as even the rear lamps are always on. The same was true for the last generation V70.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rovermark</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is true though that the DRLs are any different from ordinary night driving lights? My impression is that on this car the DRLs are the same as the low beam lights on any other car. In that case in makes sense that the headlamp washers work.<p>The headlight switch serves no useful purpose on Canadian cars as even the rear lamps are always on. The same was true for the last generation V70.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It serves 2 useful functions:<p>1) You cannot keep high beams engaged in the "off" positions.<br>2) If you get the DRL's disabled, they turn the headlights on.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Misc 2009 XC70 annoyances/questions (Needsdecaf)

Yes, I know that, but the point is that on Canadian cars the DRLs are equivanlent to the "on" position of the headlamps on American or European cars.<p>The switch therefore is superfluous here since the lights are off one the car is turned off; however that explains why the headlamp washers will always work when the windows washer is activated on cars with DRLs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

They should have just made the fogs the DRL's like on Audis, or added a smaller "city light" like they do in Europe. Then they could get away without washing the headlights too....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts