SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLIS on my car started recently to misbehave on right side. When I pass cars, it fails to notify about 10-20% of sedans and nearly 100% of tracks, busses, etc. I can pass few cars one after each other on a straight road, it will alert about one and miss few next.
Obviously, service can't reproduce it.

Do I have a problem, or does BLIS always works like this and I only now started to notice it ?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Have you had any body work done around the front or rear quarter panels? Are the panels clean?

I had my BLIS re-calibrated after the rear valance was replaced and sensors had to be re-installed. I was not sure if BLIS was affected After the re-calibration, it seemed to be much better. Of course, it could have been a placebo-effect.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No work done. Everything clean and shiny.
When I came to pickup car today I discovered that they found no problems, I took car for a 25miles loop to see if I am hallucinating. I weren't, so I left it in shop.
They called me later to say that they tried to drive it, and nothing is wrong. No sh$$t. If they crawl through traffic jam and then drive 1mile on highway, there isn't enough samples.

At the end we agreed that I pickup car tomorrow and at Teusday I will have a ride with foreman or somebody.

Will try meanwhile to mount gopro to side window to record how I pass cars without alerts.

PS. Service guy also had creative reading of volvo manual: BLIS works only for cars that approach you from behind
Have you had any body work done around the front or rear quarter panels? Are the panels clean?

I had my BLIS re-calibrated after the rear valance was replaced and sensors had to be re-installed. I was not sure if BLIS was affected After the re-calibration, it seemed to be much better. Of course, it could have been a placebo-effect.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
BLIS on my car started recently to misbehave on right side. When I pass cars, it fails to notify about 10-20% of sedans and nearly 100% of tracks, busses, etc. I can pass few cars one after each other on a straight road, it will alert about one and miss few next.

Do I have a problem, or does BLIS always works like this and I only now started to notice it ?
The BLIS on our 2017, former 2020, and current 2021 act up commonly. The 2021's passenger side will sometimes stay permanently on for 30+ seconds while in the right lane and nothing next to me (not even a guard rail).

It's also done this same thing for driver and passenger side while in all lanes on freeways. It's particularly frustrating when there are no vehicles next to me or anywhere near me. BLIS is simply a guideline/suggestion for me. But when it gives so many false positives, it makes me second guess my observations. Like there's a motorcycle there or something. It's convenient when it works, but it's horribly unsafe when it doesn't.

The 2017's passenger side does it less often, but just this week the passenger side flashed on for 2-5 seconds on, then off, then on, intermittently, almost like clock work in a right lane.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Bliss is able to identify 99.999999999% of all vehicles in your blind spot, 99.99999999% of the time.
That's simply not true. With three SPA XC90's having numerous false positives, false negatives, as well as multiple loaners having the same issues before they showed a BLIS system failure on the dash and sensus.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In my case it's always false negative. no false positives (unless i in standing traffic jam and there is some specific cars next to me or something) And what is extra strange, it's things that kinda hard to miss, like tracks or busses .
also it started in the middle of 2000 mile road trip. before that it was working perfectly. i think.
I got as loaner polestar2, it seems to work 100% of time

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
661 Posts
The only real issue I have had with my factory ordered 2020 V90 Inscription, after 17+ months and almost 14k miles, is BLIS. It stopped working twice, and the last time the mirror BLIS light went on when it should not have and stayed on. Taking a video of this helped prove to the dealer that the problem was real, since no codes were generated. A ticket was generated and a factory tech was consulted.

After confirming that the rear bumper sensors and wiring worked properly, a software update was performed 7 weeks and 1k miles ago. So far, the problem hasn't reoccured.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
In my case it's always false negative. no false positives (unless i in standing traffic jam and there is some specific cars next to me or something) And what is extra strange, it's things that kinda hard to miss, like tracks or busses .
also it started in the middle of 2000 mile road trip. before that it was working perfectly. i think.
I got as loaner polestar2, it seems to work 100% of time
I suggest two things.

1. Take a video of the problem.

2 Request tech go with you on a ride along so you can reproduce the problem for him/her.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) ordered cup mount for gopro 6 hours ago. finally camera will serve a good purpose
2) have appointment next week for a ride along.
I suggest two things.

1. Take a video of the problem.

2 Request tech go with you on a ride along so you can reproduce the problem for him/her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the dealer techs are right, BLIS is only intended to function when a car is approaching from behind.

I installed blind spot mirrors in the corners of each mirror because my XC90 doesn't have BLIS. They're alright. I might remove them because I can't get used to them, plus it looks cheap and weighs the mirrors down, so I constantly have to reposition the side mirrors.

My 10 year old S80 has BLIS and it works great, although it is much easier to manually check blind spots in a sedan. Also, BLIS never works well in the rain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
manual actually says "detection of cars in blind zone; detection of cars rapidly approaching from behind"
in list of limitation nothing written about "cars that you pass won't be detected"
I think the dealer techs are right, BLIS is only intended to function when a car is approaching from behind.

I installed blind spot mirrors in the corners of each mirror because my XC90 doesn't have BLIS. They're alright. I might remove them because I can't get used to them, plus it looks cheap and weighs the mirrors down, so I constantly have to reposition the side mirrors.

My 10 year old S80 has BLIS and it works great, although it is much easier to manually check blind spots in a sedan. Also, BLIS never works well in the rain.

·
Registered
942 Posts
18' V90CC BLIS always works when a car approaches from behind. Never noticed when overtaking a car and doesn't make sense since car is not in your blind spot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when you overtake car, at some point of time it's in blind spot.
if you merge back, light will blink extra fast and furious in case somebody in blind spot.

also, it' kinda called blind spot detection

18' V90CC BLIS always works when a car approaches from behind. Never noticed when overtaking a car and doesn't make sense since car is not in your blind spot.

·
Registered
470 Posts
if you merge back, light will blink extra fast and furious in case somebody in blind spot.

Only works when cars are passing from behind and will not activate if passing speed is greater than 9mph (according to Volvo). Also only active at greater than 6mph

If it activated every time you pass a car then it would be very annoying/distracting. There may be a grey area when a car moves back and forth in the blind spot. Will have to experiment.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From manual

BLIS warns you of the presence of other vehicles moving in your same direction while driving on multiple lane roads (such as highways) that are located in your "blind spot." BLIS was designed to identify vehicles that your side view mirrors cannot detect that are located in your blind spot as well as cars that are advancing your Volvo at higher speeds on both the left and right sides. The light in the side view mirror will illuminate depending on which side your Volvo detects the approaching car is located on.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Does it work for cars that are approaching and overtaking?

·
Registered
942 Posts

Like I said, never noticed it warns when overtaking a car because it's not in your blind spot.
When you pass and it's now in your blind spot I would expect it to warn.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I said, never noticed it warns when overtaking a car because it's not in your blind spot.
When you pass and it's now in your blind spot I would expect it to warn.
this is exactly the problem. when i pass and car is in blindspot, it misses like 10% of sedans and 95% of tracks/busses/cargo vans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MY21 is definitely different than MY16 was. There have been many times since getting the '21 that a car is riding in my drivers side blind spot (I can't see it over my shoulder or in my mirror) and BLIS doesn't see it either. But it stays on too long (I feel) when I am past the car and gives much more clearance than it used to (on MY16). I asked the dealer to look at it during my 10k service and they said it was fine. I definitely don't trust it like I did on MY16.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts