SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to mess around with making the mirrors look more like brushed aluminum:

A little wet 320grit paper:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Mirror caps: Chrome to brushed look ([email protected])

Well, I don't know what everyone else is going to think, but I would rock THOSE in a heartbeat. I think it ties much better with the interior and now looks like an "R" worthy mod http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I hate it when a mod goes all pear-shaped. It is always a great feeling when you can "fix" it

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (slowrey)

Quote, originally posted by slowrey »
I love it and I would put them on my car. Wonder what's the longevity of it ?
Permanent, just spray some flat clear over it

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (JRL)

I hit up AdvanceAuto tonight and they didn't have any flat clear.
I hope to find some this weekend.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Looks really good Chris http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Are you working with Volvo parts? I always assumed the caps from Volvo were plastic, does this mean they are in fact aluminum?

Once you install one it would be nice to see a picture from farther away, with the whole car in view, that is.

LTA

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

Chris, I picked up a set of the mirrors from Boston Auto and was hoping to install them this weekend...but I'll be damned if that isn't EXACTLY what I was hoping your project would turn out to look like!
It looks awesome.

Did you just brush back and forth with some water and the paper?

-Eric

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Mirror caps: Chrome to brushed look (Sue Esponte)

Eric, yes - I wet the sand paper, started by sitting it on the floor and tried to keep the sanding as straight as possible and kept going in the same direction and I worked up and over the cover's surface.

Yes - these are the PLASTIC Volvo units, I got this set from Boston Volvo as well.

The only bits I still want to work on are the very edges, the plastic is not quite flat so some of the chrome still shows; also hard to want to cut vertically, which then screws with the line making

I was nervous but once the paper started to cut, which took a little effort, it began to dull and look more like brushed aluminum.

have fun guys, a nice Sat. morning project

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Great idea, I wish they would look good on a red car but they probably wouldn't

Let me know how the clear works out.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Mirror caps: Chrome to brushed look (JRL)

Chrome, definitely not...but I think the brushed aluminum look could look great. I'm sure there are pics of a Brilliant Red S4 on the Audi USA site just to give you an idea.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

Yes - these are the PLASTIC Volvo units, I got this set from Boston Volvo as well.

have fun guys, a nice Sat. morning project

Thanks for the answers Chris, that's some fine lookin' plastic!

Now get off the computer and get back to work buddy

My Saturday morning project is waxing my pegs between trying to get myself and three kids ready for a trip to the zoo for child #3's 1st Birthday! ...oops, my wife just gave me the 'eye'. Wait, I'm in luck, we're out'a milk! Time to jump in the R for a quick jant to the corner store...

LTA

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

Another option to the sandpaper is a 3M pad. I've gotten a few different grades from body part supply stores. They are like the 3M Scotch-brite pads. They use them for sanding out clearcoat paints. They are not very abrasive and will dull a shinny surface very well. I've used them on sheet carbon fiber to give it a dull look.

The brushed look on the mirrors looks much better Chris. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Mirror caps: Chrome to brushed look (Our R)

I was able to use a bone tool to pop the cap off without removing the mirror. I started on the bottom.

No luck finding flat clear yet -- may try Home Depot.

Jim - I'm sure they would look really good on Red. you pioneered several mods, this one would be a nice addition to the black pilars.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Hey that looks really nice Chris, maybe you should switch to silver pegs for a perfect match

Really though, it's a nice look Chris and it's something I'll likely copy.

ps. Nice legs buddy

LTA

1 - 20 of 46 Posts