SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody gone with what I believe tire guys call "minus one" tire sizing on their R-Design 20-inch wheels for a little better ride compliance.

In other words one width narrower and one height higher sidewall than stock.

I realize that clearance issues probably preclude this option, but I thought I'd check in with the "Swedish Borg" just in case (not esp interested in buying smaller wheels right now).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Has anybody gone with what I believe tire guys call "minus one" tire sizing on their R-Design 20-inch wheels for a little better ride compliance.

In other words one width narrower and one height higher sidewall than stock.

I realize that clearance issues probably preclude this option, but I thought I'd check in with the "Swedish Borg" just in case (not esp interested in buying smaller wheels right now).

Thoughts?
I could be wrong but "Minus Sizing" is what it is referred to in our area and is typical for winter. But it is the practice of going to a narrow taller tire in a smaller rim size.

On my one vehicle our summer tire/rim combo is 195-55-15 our winter tire/rim combo is 185/65-14 so one size narrow, one size higher, one rim size smaller, but maintains the same stock height of the vehicle with no clearance issues.

Interestingly enough our XC60 runs 235/60-18's in the summer on OEM 18 inch rims and 235/65-17's in the winter on OEM rims. My understanding is that the 230's are not compatible with the oem rims which would be a true "minus size".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a bit of digging around on the Mighty Interweb, and talked to a few tire guys. The consensus seems to be that while I could go a bit narrower, it would be a mistake to try and go any taller.

Since I don't love car stuff quite enough anymore to put new 18" or 19" wheels at the top of my toy list, I'll most likely end up with OEM sized Conti DWS tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just bought the conti DWS 06. R-Design had 34k miles on it and the original scorpion assimetrico tires were pretty worn.

The new tires performed like a champ in recent snow here in the Midwest. Traction and stopping distance was quite good. Hopefully they continue to do so in the long term.

I'm pretty sure I also got the oem size tires for our 20 inch wheels: 225/45ZR20. I'll go out and check if you are interested.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bought the conti DWS 06. R-Design had 34k miles on it and the original scorpion assimetrico tires were pretty worn.

The new tires performed like a champ in recent snow here in the Midwest. Traction and stopping distance was quite good. Hopefully they continue to do so in the long term.

I'm pretty sure I also got the oem size tires for our 20 inch wheels: 225/45ZR20. I'll go out and check if you are interested.

Good luck!
Good to hear on the snow performance. The DWS does have a good rep there. Interested in any other ride/handling observations you may have.

My OEM tires are 255/45-20.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mistyped. You are correct, they are 255's.

They don't seem overall too noisy. Ride is still firm and you can feel bumps but much less so than the scorpions. On turns, the XC60 still feels planted. It might be placebo but I just feel more secure now. Could also be that the old ones were pretty worn.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When we got our RD XC60 in 2012, we immediately realized the ride was too firm and I began obsessing over the cause. In the first 90 days we had a few loaners with 17 and 18" tires plus our 20" RD. I realized it was the suspension causing the firmness and further believed 90% of the poor ride quality was coming from the rear suspesnion as opposed to the front. 90 days in I swapped the rear RD shocks and springs for the base touring suspension setup and never looked back....totallly worth it with only a modest impact to handling. Find my write-up on here for details (note: as an aside you might be able to get away with just a shock swap in the rear, but the springs are a different part number so I did them as a set back there).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ Thanks, cab. I've read your thread. I am happy with the suspension damping in my R. In fact, it could use a bit more rebound damping at both ends. I can see where you're coming from, though, as I sure wouldn't want it any stiffer on compression.

I'm interested in gaining just a bit of small bump compliance that a slightly higher sidewall would (should?) add, but I think I'll stick with OEM sized tires this time around.

·
Registered
837 Posts
^^^ Thanks, cab. I've read your thread. I am happy with the suspension damping in my R. In fact, it could use a bit more rebound damping at both ends. I can see where you're coming from, though, as I sure wouldn't want it any stiffer on compression.

I'm interested in gaining just a bit of small bump compliance that a slightly higher sidewall would (should?) add, but I think I'll stick with OEM sized tires this time around.
I wish Koni would sell their FSD rear shocks seperately from the front struts as they would likely give you the in-between compromise you are looking for (since you can't get softer bushings which are what is really needed).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts