SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an older thread discussing this a while back, but now that it's here I thought I'd just start a new thread.

The auto show is in Minneapolis this week and the XC60 is the featured vehicle. I happen to be in Mpls this week on business, so I'm planning to attend either this evening (Mon) or tomorrow evening (Tue). Anyone else in the area and might be there?

See: http://www.tcautoshow.com/

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was at the show for most all of opening day on Saturday. Volvo had a nice display with more vehicles and more pizzaz than previous years. The entrance halls are all populated with Volvos. Their show space, while bigger than before, was moved to the rear of the convention floor. Nevertheless, I saw an almost continuous flow, especially at the Cosmic White XC60 R-Design.

All the manufacturers were represented. I can't say there was one WOW vehicle there that stole the show. No concept vehicles at all. Still a great representation of what all is out there. I'll encourage anyone to go and check out the entire place.

But now here is my rant.... Volvo, and especially the XC60, is indeed the feature vehicle of the show. At the single main entrance up on a pedestal is Passion Red XC60. Everyone getting in the show must walk right by it. But no one could "see" it - It was covered up tip to tail!! There was a gal stationed there and she had to continuously reply to the questions of "What is it?" and "Why is it covered up?" All she could say is it's and XC60 and you can see another one if you walk all the way back to the rear of the showfloor. That's insane. Cover up the feature vehicle while thousands and thousands and thousands of weekend car shoppers walk right by! Someone was not thinking here here bigtime.

Oh, and how do I know it was Passion Red? Because as I left that evening I convinced the gal to lift up one tiny corner of the cover. Writing out a check that morning for our Passion Red OSD (next month) was less painful than seeing that XC60 covered up all day......

-Jon

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was at the show for most all of opening day on Saturday. Volvo had a nice display with more vehicles and more pizzaz than previous years. The entrance halls are all populated with Volvos. Their show space, while bigger than before, was moved to the rear of the convention floor. Nevertheless, I saw an almost continuous flow, especially at the Cosmic White XC60 R-Design.

All the manufacturers were represented. I can't say there was one WOW vehicle there that stole the show. No concept vehicles at all. Still a great representation of what all is out there. I'll encourage anyone to go and check out the entire place.

But now here is my rant.... Volvo, and especially the XC60, is indeed the feature vehicle of the show. At the single main entrance up on a pedestal is Passion Red XC60. Everyone getting in the show must walk right by it. But no one could "see" it - It was covered up tip to tail!! There was a gal stationed there and she had to continuously reply to the questions of "What is it?" and "Why is it covered up?" All she could say is it's and XC60 and you can see another one if you walk all the way back to the rear of the showfloor. That's insane. Cover up the feature vehicle while thousands and thousands and thousands of weekend car shoppers walk right by! Someone was not thinking here here bigtime.

Oh, and how do I know it was Passion Red? Because as I left that evening I convinced the gal to lift up one tiny corner of the cover. Writing out a check that morning for our Passion Red OSD (next month) was less painful than seeing that XC60 covered up all day......

-Jon
I'll see if they've uncovered it by the time I get there this week...I wonder if they were prepping for some "unveiling" event?? Weird. In any case, I agree (and I'll look forward to GrecianVolvo's take on this)...with that much visitor traffic on opening day, WTF were they thinking, and frankly someone should be fired over that decision (if indeed it was a conscious decision for some reason). Volvo paid the show planners real money to be "featured"...this is very poor bang for that buck. Same story getting stuck with a "rear of the hall" location for the Volvo exhibit...doesn't sound very "featured" for that aspect, either.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I understand having some "mystery", but given that this vehicle is practically an unknown to most people I think it already has plenty of "mystery"! When I've mentioned to folks in the last week that we got a new car no one (so far) has known what an XC60 is. As a matter-of-fact, even though I am an ardent car enthusiast and DIYer I was only lossely aware of the XC60. Last September or October we were out shopping for pre-owned SUVs and test drove a used Nissan Murano and Lexus RX350 at a local Honda dealer. When we were done, and not entirely enthused, the guy says "Well, we did get the Volvo in the other day...would you be interested in driving it?". We were both on the fence, but it looked sharp so we said "Sure, why not". If we hadn't taken that test drive, I think there is a good chance we would NOT be in an XC60. That model was a 3.2 and as soon as we test drove it I said "Hmmm, I think these have a turbo motor as well". We quickly looked that up on my wife's Iphone and headed to a Volvo dealer to test drive a T6...the rest is history.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
It might just be hype having it covered. It might not ever be unveiled. Good way to get people to come to the back of the convention center to see what's up.

Welcome to Minnesota we thought we'd show you how nice the weather can be. You're lucky it's not snowing and blowing like what March can be.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might just be hype having it covered. It might not ever be unveiled. Good way to get people to come to the back of the convention center to see what's up.

Welcome to Minnesota we thought we'd show you how nice the weather can be. You're lucky it's not snowing and blowing like what March can be.
(1) If the hype was intentional, then it was just plain stupid...period. Why would you greet thousands of car show visitors with a covered "feature vehicle"...especially when the Passion Red is its sharpest incarnation? No, this had to have been a planner screw-up, plain and simple.

(2) I have been doing business in MN for the past decade, and even lived here full-time for a while, so yep, I am well aware that this is indeed an unusual heat wave for this time of year. I've seen snow/ice in May and even June here.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
(1) If the hype was intentional, then it was just plain stupid...period. Why would you greet thousands of car show visitors with a covered "feature vehicle"...especially when the Passion Red is its sharpest incarnation? No, this had to have been a planner screw-up, plain and simple.
Sounds like a little 'tease' might be in order. Just expose the snout a bit...show the flashy front end and color(of the XC, not the model :) ) . OK, maybe the model, too!

Edit: Please pardon my assumption that the 'gal' is a model. Just figuring...car show...models...mainly GUYS....models... ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a little 'tease' might be in order. Just expose the snout a bit...show the flashy front end and color(of the XC, not the model :) ) . OK, maybe the model, too!

Edit: Please pardon my assumption that the 'gal' is a model. Just figuring...car show...models...mainly GUYS....models... ;)
Oh, I'm sure it's a "booth babe" type.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh, I'm sure it's a "booth babe" type.
She was actually very nice to everyone including me (and my wife) and she seemed to know what an XC60 is. But she also had no idea why they would keep the vehicle covered up all day (I asked). She only uncovered the corner bumper for me that evening ever so slightly after I asked multiple times.

drat can report back if its uncovered today or tomorrow (I want pictures, drat!). But daily show attendance during the week is a trickle compared to the weekend.

I'm not the marketing person, but why not have done the big unveiling on Friday with the press. The most-watched TV news station is literally five blocks away and I'd bet Volvo would get 10 sec of fame on the nightly newscast. This is the 7th largest show in the US and it gets lots of notice in the area.

-Jon

·
Registered
142 Posts
Too bad I am not in the area to be able to check out that cosmic white in detail. That is the color we are leaning towards. Haven't been able to convince the wife for passion red. At least not yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She was actually very nice to everyone including me (and my wife) and she seemed to know what an XC60 is. But she also had no idea why they would keep the vehicle covered up all day (I asked). She only uncovered the corner bumper for me that evening ever so slightly after I asked multiple times.

drat can report back if its uncovered today or tomorrow (I want pictures, drat!). But daily show attendance during the week is a trickle compared to the weekend.

I'm not the marketing person, but why not have done the big unveiling on Friday with the press. The most-watched TV news station is literally five blocks away and I'd bet Volvo would get 10 sec of fame on the nightly newscast. This is the 7th largest show in the US and it gets lots of notice in the area.

-Jon
I'm set to attend tonight after work unless my schedule changes. Stay tuned. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
...but given that this vehicle is practically an unknown to most people...
This is how a typical conversation goes with my non car enthusiast friends…
Friend: So you’re getting a new car?
Me: Yeah, a Volvo XC60.
Friend: So it’s a station wagon, huh?
Me: No, it’s a mid-size SUV.
Friend: Oh, OK. But wait a sec – didn’t Volvo go out of business?
Me: No, that’s Saab.
Friend: That’s right. Volvo – built like, and looks like a tank.
Me: Well they do emphasize safety, but I got the high-performance version. It’s FAST and looks good too. Have you seen the new “Nasty Volvo” commercials?
Friend: Never seen a Volvo ad anywhere. When do you get it?
Me: Next month. I pick it up in Sweden.
Friend: You can do that? But what will you do about the steering wheel being on the wrong side?
Me: Unbelievably warm weather we’ve been having isn’t it?............

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is how a typical conversation goes with my non car enthusiast friends…
Friend: So you’re getting a new car?
Me: Yeah, a Volvo XC60.
Friend: So it’s a station wagon, huh?
Me: No, it’s a mid-size SUV.
Friend: Oh, OK. But wait a sec – didn’t Volvo go out of business?
Me: No, that’s Saab.
Friend: That’s right. Volvo – built like, and looks like a tank.
Me: Well they do emphasize safety, but I got the high-performance version. It’s FAST and looks good too. Have you seen the new “Nasty Volvo” commercials?
Friend: Never seen a Volvo ad anywhere. When do you get it?
Me: Next month. I pick it up in Sweden.
Friend: You can do that? But what will you do about the steering wheel being on the wrong side?
Me: Unbelievably warm weather we’ve been having isn’t it?............
Tell 'em it's the one in the vampire movie they won't admit to attending.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tell 'em it's the one in the vampire movie they won't admit to attending.
Funny you should say that. My conversation with a friend went something like this:

Me: I'm getting a new car!
Friend: What are you getting?
Me: A Volvo.
Friend: Oh (unimpressed). Which one?
Me: The XC60.
Friend: Oh (still unimpressed). Wait. Wasn't that the one Edward drove in "Twilight?"
Me: Yes.
Friend: Oh, cool! (now impressed)

Fun times!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I attended the Mpls Auto Show this evening. The Passion Red XC60 RD was indeed on display at the entrance to the hall, and it was half-exposed from under its red dropcloth covering. (I will post pics as soon as I can.) I chatted up the booth babe after she finished her mic shpiel and she told me that the intent was indeed some sort of an "unveiling" marketing campaign meant to build suspense/anticipation. She told me she also worked the podium this past weekend and had to answer every single person who asked why the "featured" vehicle was covered up. I told her she was famous (infamous?) on the on-line Volvo forums because of this. :D

Now that I've seen it in person, I will reiterate my (and others') opinion of this tactic: This is an EPIC FAIL on the part of Volvo and the local Volvo dealership, Borton Volvo....in the heart of Scandinavian descent country here in Minnesota! You're the FEATURED VEHICLE and BRAND of a major auto show, and you COVER UP the featured vehicle in its sexiest color at the premier spot at the hall entrance, and then you also end up with a spot at the FAR BACK of the hall for the rest of the brand display???? WTF????

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are 2 pics of the HALF-DISPLAYED Passion Red XC60 RD (one with bonus booth babe ;) ), and also a pic of the Cosmic White one they had on display at the FAR BACK of the exhibition hall where (no doubt) only a few people would finally get back there to see/feel/sit in it. Ugh, I still can't over what an EPIC FAIL Volvo's marketing efforts were at this show.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will also add (now that I'm done ranting about Volvo's marketing fail here) that for me, excluding the obvious high-end and upscale brands, the most impressive selection of cars shown for the mass (and to an extent, upscale) market was easily at the Hyundai booth. They had their high-end Equus on display (2, actually - one was in the "luxo" room), 2 of their REALLY impressive Genesis model, and a brand new redesigned Azera (on which they also had a FAIL by placing it on a pedestal unavailable to sit in/touch). If I were in the market for a sedan both the new Azera and the Genesis would definitely be on my shopping list...very impressive and strong bang-for-buck...a pretty fully-optioned-up Genesis sedan in the low $40K range compares favorably to upscale brands' offerings in the $50-60K range with what seems to be (and many reviewers think is) comparable quality. (Disclosure: I must admit that I try to rent a Sonata (by request) every time I travel to the Twin Cities, so I'm already a Hyundai fan).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks drat. Nice pics. Half unveiled is better than none. I still don't understand how they can have a progressive unveiling when essentially all the show attendees come only once.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I will also add (now that I'm done ranting about Volvo's marketing fail here) that for me, excluding the obvious high-end and upscale brands, the most impressive selection of cars shown for the mass (and to an extent, upscale) market was easily at the Hyundai booth. They had their high-end Equus on display (2, actually - one was in the "luxo" room), 2 of their REALLY impressive Genesis model, and a brand new redesigned Azera (on which they also had a FAIL by placing it on a pedestal unavailable to sit in/touch). If I were in the market for a sedan both the new Azera and the Genesis would definitely be on my shopping list...very impressive and strong bang-for-buck...a pretty fully-optioned-up Genesis sedan in the low $40K range compares favorably to upscale brands' offerings in the $50-60K range with what seems to be (and many reviewers think is) comparable quality. (Disclosure: I must admit that I try to rent a Sonata (by request) every time I travel to the Twin Cities, so I'm already a Hyundai fan).
Hyundai really! You should turn your Volvo in now and go get one of those POS. Really, you are on a Volvo forum and talking up Hyundai! Comparable quality? They are nice for a cheap car. No more no less. I have driven/sold a Genesis and it's a nice try but no cigar. No comparison to a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or Volvo. There is just enough cheapness in the construction to let you know it's not at the premium level. THEY ARE NOT UPSCALE!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts