SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I researched and found that the XC90 comes with two different brake rotor sizes:

T5/T6 = 345mm
T8 = 366mm

My Golf also has 345mm brake rotors, and I'm able to fit 17" on them, so will 17s fit on a T5/T6?

And will 18s fit on a T8?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Why would even consider a 17" wheel on an XC90? The load rate will be low (for those tires) but, most importantly, they will look so ugly and inadequate for the size of this car; even 18"s look terrible. This car needs, at a very minimum, 19" or 20" wheels.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would even consider a 17" wheel on an XC90? The load rate will be low (for those tires) but, most importantly, they will look so ugly and inadequate for the size of this car; even 18"s look terrible. This car needs, at a very minimum, 19" or 20" wheels.
Lower unsprung weight? Not a fan of the gap between the brake rotors and the inner rim? Just kidding, looking for a set of winter wheels that would fit. Smaller wheels means less chance of massive snow buildup, and more meatier rubber for the inevitable potholes that occur :)

I guess I'll have a read through this:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-to-get-a-second-set-of-rims-tires-for-winter

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Lower unsprung weight? Not a fan of the gap between the brake rotors and the inner rim? Just kidding, looking for a set of winter wheels that would fit. Smaller wheels means less chance of massive snow buildup, and more meatier rubber for the inevitable potholes that occur :)

I guess I'll have a read through this:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-to-get-a-second-set-of-rims-tires-for-winter
I understand but I would not get 17", or even 18". Find a cheap set of 19" rims and you can put snow tires on them or use your stock wheels and just buy winter tires (as long as your stock wheels are not 21" or larger). Winter tires on 19" or 20" rims will serve you just fine.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I understand but I would not get 17", or even 18". Find a cheap set of 19" rims and you can put snow tires on them or use your stock wheels and just buy winter tires (as long as your stock wheels are not 21" or larger). Winter tires on 19" or 20" rims will serve you just fine.
+1

OP, keep in mind you will be using your winter tires for at least 5 months out of the year, so why would you want to make your beautiful XC90 look like "crap" for those 5-6 months on 17-18" wheels lol 19" would be the smallest size I personally would go with for winter wheels but 20" are perfect IMO

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put 255/65R18s on my T6 with winter tires and it fills the wheel wells very nicely. I think that's the largest 18" tire that will fit without rubbing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Remember that you can't purely go off of rotor size. Wheel design has a big impact on this as there are some 17" wheels that will require more clearance than 18"s. Also, the caliper has a big impact on clearance. If the XC90 caliper is bigger than what your Golf has, that will impact fitment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts