SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed really nasty milky stains (looks like water spots but all over the trims and it looks milky)on all the chrome trims around the windows of my S90. I tried few solutions including some metal polish solutions and none was helpful. The other chrome trims e.g. in the front of the car are super shiny and in order, is just with the trims around the windows. Has anybody an idea what the material of these trims is? Any ideas how to fix that? I googled and there were bunch of crazy solutions with other cars but first I would love to know what the material is. Is it aluminum, aluminum with plastic film, real chrome or plastic. Thank you in advance for your tips. BTW, I will post pictures as soon as I get a good lighting to make the damage visible.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I saw few ppl had same issue but in Russia and the Volvo replaced them free under warranty. So try to talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have noticed really nasty milky stains (looks like water spots but all over the trims and it looks milky)on all the chrome trims around the windows of my S90. I tried few solutions including some metal polish solutions and none was helpful. The other chrome trims e.g. in the front of the car are super shiny and in order, is just with the trims around the windows. Has anybody an idea what the material of these trims is? Any ideas how to fix that? I googled and there were bunch of crazy solutions with other cars but first I would love to know what the material is. Is it aluminum, aluminum with plastic film, real chrome or plastic. Thank you in advance for your tips. BTW, I will post pictures as soon as I get a good lighting to make the damage visible.
Is it tree sap of some sort?

Either way - few things beat vinegar on chrome. Try that.

Edit: Well, read about vinegar first, before trying. It's very acidic. You don't want to apply it for too long, and you need to dilute it with water. Google it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is it tree sap of some sort?

Either way - few things beat vinegar on chrome. Try that.

Edit: Well, read about vinegar first, before trying. It's very acidic. You don't want to apply it for too long, and you need to dilute it with water. Google it.
It was actually messed up by the dealerhsip as they detailed the car. The problem is, I noticed it but didn't say anything because I thought I can just polish it my self. In the meantime I had my car back in the dealership for recurring brake issues and still didn't say anything because the other issues were more bothering and still thought I could polish the trims. Now I tried to polish and fix the mess and saw it is not that easy, it seem to be burned in. Before heading to the dealership again, I wanted to see if there are any magic solutions. I will try the vinegar but really would like to know the material. If it is plastic or chrome/aluminum with plastic coat, I think the vinegar solution would make it even worse.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Be sure to test it in a very small area. I followed a similar YouTube suggestion for getting water deposits off glass shower doors. It said use a Finish dishwasher tab as a scrubber. Well, the glass area where I tried it now has the surface finish of fine sandpaper...and the water spots are still there (though perhaps bit less)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone tried chrome delete with vinyl tapes on the windows trims? I was thinking about this as an alternative and on top of that, I think it would look great on my car. I will have it done professionally, just wondering if there are any experiences here and how long those tapes last. I read somewhere 5-7 years but doubt that this numbers would be valid under the California sun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw another parked S90 today and looked at the trims around the windows. This car had the exact same mess as mine. Wondering if there is material issue with this model. Any other members here with this issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, mine came from the factory like that. I noticed it on pickup at my dealer, but assumed they had just done a crummy job prepping the car as you could still see areas with adhesive from the protecting film so I didn't say anything. After I took it home and washed it a couple of weeks later, I realized it was a bigger deal. I emailed the dealer I purchased the car from about the issue and they've ignored my email. So, I'll be looking for another dealer and will try to see if I can get it fixed or warrantied at my next service.

Do you have any pics? Here's the thread I started about this issue with some pics of my car: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?626729-Pitted-Inscription-Trim-amp-Orange-Peel-Paint

1 - 11 of 11 Posts