SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does high mileage in the car make the car perform worst than before? Or is it better for the engine to run more?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
That is a really hard question to answer. My 95' 960 has almost 80k miles on it and I feel like it runs smoother, has more power, and is quieter than when it was brand new plus it doesn't burn a drop of oil. If you are comparing two perfectly running engines, one with 100 miles and one with 80,000 miles, I would say that the one with 80k miles should run better. Maybe some people will disagree with me on this, not sure though.<P>-Drew<P>

·
Registered
678 Posts
There's definitely a break-in period. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that by 10K miles, an engine should be running optimally, and how long that condition is maintained depends on the engine design, parts quality, driving style/conditions, maintenance and fluid selection, etc...<P>My B23F is stronger than ever at 243K miles (partly due to mods, but hey - it doesn't burn any oil!) and will hopefully stay that way for several thousand more before the inevitable rebuild is required. <P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts