SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have an BMW i8, and the ecologic side of the car is growing on me. I manage about 24 km with the car in emode. I test drove the X5 40e as I thought I would change our X5 M50d to a more ecological engine, but I only manages about 16km in it, and it has a battery size about like the one in the XC90 T8.

I love how the new XC90 looks, and my father used to have a XC90, now a XC60, I was wondering how far in emode are you T8 owners travelling?

My third option is the Q7 etron, with almost double the battery capacity, but they keep on delaying the introduction.

Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In my 2016 XC90 T8 I am getting ca 20 km (12 miles) running only with the battery.

I think there are some factors that affect this:

I live in northeast US and temps are now below freezing - and I find that the car (when left outside) will start the fossil fuel engine (likely to warm things up) ... that impacts the electric only operation. (It definitely runs better when I use the precondition feature prior to driving it - that feature requires the vehicle be connected to the electrical mains.)

Sometimes I take the motorway / highway for my commute and the engine is typically turned on to maintain a 100+ km/h speed when the grade is an incline (uphill). (It is a heavy vehicle!)

The documentation also mentions that the electric range will be degraded for colder temps (and increased for warmer temps). Sorry - I forgot the percentages but I can look that up if you would like.

I get less range at night with all the lights, etc. on.

While this is my first hybrid vehicle - I'm really impressed with the regen capability ... which includes coasting (the "B" mode - versus "D") and charging whilst driving on the highway.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Simple put, EPA states 14 miles e-range. In reality, a full charge may run about 11miles to 17 miles in e-mode for gentle driving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In my 2016 XC90 T8 I am getting ca 20 km (12 miles) running only with the battery.

I think there are some factors that affect this:

I live in northeast US and temps are now below freezing - and I find that the car (when left outside) will start the fossil fuel engine (likely to warm things up) ... that impacts the electric only operation. (It definitely runs better when I use the precondition feature prior to driving it - that feature requires the vehicle be connected to the electrical mains.)
Hi rpmccormick, I love reading your posts about the T8 !

I live in Canada, and cold temps really kill e-range. Chevy Volt has about 50-60% of summer range when temps are around -20C (about 0F...). I read that the gas engine WILL start with the T8 if the outdoor temp is lower than -10C (14F) and that the battery hasn't been pre-conditioned... Still better than the Volt that will always run the gas engine under those temps (unless you mess with the OEM temperature sensor to run 100% electric even if it's colder...!)

Is it true that you can't even run a few miles if it's colder than 14F if the car isn't plugged in AND remote battery-preconditioned ? That would be quite bad coming for a car coming from icy-cold Sweden ! Also heard that the T8 cabin is much cooler inside than a T6, gas-engine running or not !

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Interior the only unique thing is the crystal gear knob.
It is of course very cool, especially if you like it. :) T6 gear knob is just normal one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks, but I was asking if there was any real cabin heating differences between the T6 and the T8 models, especially when the temperature is below freezing. Some people wrote that the electrical heat pump isn't strong enough in the T8 to provide warm air inside the cabin, and I was wondering if it was true, of just pickyness ;)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi rpmccormick, I love reading your posts about the T8 !

Is it true that you can't even run a few miles if it's colder than 14F if the car isn't plugged in AND remote battery-preconditioned ?
I will have to look back at the VOC logs and times to see if the vehicle sat outside in temps in -10C or below for any length of time. I believe there was one morning where I preconditioned the vehicle (it is garaged as well) and then drove (100% electric) 2-3 km and parked the car for 2 hours with no electrical connection. Then continued my commute for another say 15km and certainly a good part of that way on battery.

Next time the forecast is for extremely low temps (not much of a winter here this year, so far) I'll leave the car parked outside and not plugged in and report back.

Also heard that the T8 cabin is much cooler inside than a T6, gas-engine running or not !
You know, subjectively I was thinking the same thing. I usually precondition the vehicle every day - and if I do that for say 20 minutes, I find the driver's seat is way to hot ... and the inside is quite warm / toasty. If I get into the vehicle when it is not plugged in - I usually have the inside temp set at 68F / 20C and never put the seats higher than the lowest setting (out of three - have no idea what temp that is though).

I can't say I've been uncomfortable ... though my commute is usually 20 to 30 minutes at a maximum and we have not taken any significantly long trips with the T8 yet.

The European (and maybe other market - don't know about CA) T8's have a heater that is fuel based (draws from the gas / diesel tank) so that may be how they deal with lower temps. (I'd be concerned about running that in say a garage with the lack of ventilation and CO issues.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The European (and maybe other market - don't know about CA) T8's have a heater that is fuel based (draws from the gas / diesel tank) so that may be how they deal with lower temps. (I'd be concerned about running that in say a garage with the lack of ventilation and CO issues.)
The USA T8 has no fuel-based heater ? Weather can be quite cold in the north-east, Colorado, Minnesota... much colder than Spain or Italy where they get T8s with such heaters ! The first Canadian T8s are coming around March-April, so we'll know in a few months, but generally we get the same specs as you US guys. So that's why I was wondering if the US-T8 was toasty enough for the Great White North. Of course, the Sweden-speced T8 would be more appropriate for us than for lucky Californians !

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Actually - I think the weather in southwest Sweden (like Göteborg) can be milder than what parts of New England get ... we'll, maybe until all this global warming started happening.

The UK English T8 manual is on-line ... you can find out more about options they have (that we don't have in the US) - including the heater. I wish I had it for times where I don't have the car connected to the mains (where you can use electricity to precondition things).

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi

I have an BMW i8, and the ecologic side of the car is growing on me. I manage about 24 km with the car in emode. I test drove the X5 40e as I thought I would change our X5 M50d to a more ecological engine, but I only manages about 16km in it, and it has a battery size about like the one in the XC90 T8.

I love how the new XC90 looks, and my father used to have a XC90, now a XC60, I was wondering how far in emode are you T8 owners travelling?

My third option is the Q7 etron, with almost double the battery capacity, but they keep on delaying the introduction.

Appreciate any input.
The manufacturers claim 40 km or more electric-only range for all the cars you mention, achieved no doubt with a raw egg between one's shoe and the gas pedal!

I don't own a T8 (yet!), but I note that its drivetrain is the closest to your I8's in character, except turned 180 degrees. The T8 and I8 also both have Aisin automatic gearboxes and GKN e-axles.

Another competitor is the Mercedes-Benz GLE 500E PHEV, whose 440 hp makes it the most powerful of the PHEV SUVS. But I would still prefer the Volvo.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts