SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing some insane bright LED headlamps on the roads where I live.
I had an HID bulb go dead last night. Not sure yet if it's just a bulb or if it took out the ballast too...If the ballast is toast, I'm not buying another one. I wont know until I get to work tomorrow. I replaced a ballast a couple years ago for waaaay too much money. I would like to convert the system to an LED bulb. But the part I worry about is the message on the dash. How would I trick the system into thinking everything is OK?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I wouldn't due to not having projectors and the light will just blind people. Plus they get super hot. Audi used ballasts are compatible with volvo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Swap bulbs to make sure it is a ballast, bulbs can go too. Most of the plug and play LED bulbs I have seen online are bi-directional, not a full 360 degrees of light. From customer reviews I've read, this will make certain reflectors put out a very weird pattern of light. Since we have a rectangular reflector, I could foresee that as being an issue. It's not as much a problem if it's in a projector because of the projectors near symmetrical reflector bowl.

I also share the opinion that you could blind other drivers. OEM ballasts for this car can be found for $70-$100, that's not too bad.

·
3,899 Posts
Leds have very bad hotspotting beam patterns. They make for awful headlights unless the housing and diode are built for it. They will definitely throw a code as well, not to mention the size of the led would be so big for a headlight the heat sink would never fit behind the cap.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...I'll look into keeping HID. Last time I got a factory ballast a few years ago, it was around $400. Guess I got ripped off.

·
3,899 Posts
Hmm...I'll look into keeping HID. Last time I got a factory ballast a few years ago, it was around $400. Guess I got ripped off.
OEM Ballast + Osram Cvi's or night breakers and you will be amazed. I have both an they blow away even factory bulbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. I got a new D2r bulb and popped it in...ballast is OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts