SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember some cars freak out when put on a dyno, I don't think I remember it being this forum. No need to pull any fuses or anything?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I remember some cars freak out when put on a dyno, I don't think I remember it being this forum. No need to pull any fuses or anything?
I had dyno planned for today but had to postpone. Since I'm getting ARD Carbon next week, I asked lucky about the dyno preparation, he said:

As for preparations just make sure the car is in a good state of maintenance so you don't run into issues during your run.
As for instructions, turn off DSTC and run in Advanced mode. That's it!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had dyno planned for today but had to postpone. Since I'm getting ARD Carbon next week, I asked lucky about the dyno preparation, he said:

As for preparations just make sure the car is in a good state of maintenance so you don't run into issues during your run.
As for instructions, turn off DSTC and run in Advanced mode. That's it!
Unfortunately that's an incomplete and therefore dangerous list of "prep items!"

If you're on a 2WD dyno, you need to disable AWD. Fuses must be pulled to do that.
Also, the gear to dyno in is also dependent on whether you have a 5-speed auto, 6-speed auto, or 6-speed manual.

If you are trying to find the dyno gains from a tune, you never want to dyno with an ECU upgrade first. Always dyno the car first, and then dyno with an ECU second.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Unfortunately that's an incomplete and therefore dangerous list of "prep items!"

If you're on a 2WD dyno, you need to disable AWD. Fuses must be pulled to do that.
Also, the gear to dyno in is also dependent on whether you have a 5-speed auto, 6-speed auto, or 6-speed manual.

If you are trying to find the dyno gains from a tune, you never want to dyno with an ECU upgrade first. Always dyno the car first, and then dyno with an ECU second.
Informative. When putting a 6MT on an AWD dyno, what are the specific steps that should be taken? What gears should be used?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anyone have gear ratios listing for 2004 SR MT on hand?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good god. I go fix the c70 all day and this is what I come back to? Lol. Stock 6spd hence why I said baseline. Awd dyno, wanted to know if I need to pull some abs fuse or something. Some of the bmws freak out if you don't pull them

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Good god. I go fix the c70 all day and this is what I come back to? Lol. Stock 6spd hence why I said baseline. Awd dyno, wanted to know if I need to pull some abs fuse or something. Some of the bmws freak out if you don't pull them

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.
Only need to pull fuse if you want to do FWD only (and pull parking brake too, just in case). In either case, AWD or FWD, other todo's are disable DSTC with the 5 button dance and put 4C in advanced. Then let her rip.

I remember seeing posts where people ended up with strange CELs related to DSTC/Haldex after dyno'ing but none were permanent and reset on next drive cycle. My experience: I pulled in FWD only mode, no issues, no CELs, clean Stage 0. Can't wait til next month to see the Stage 2 gains on paper :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
like whats the point of doing a dyno on FWD mode only? I mean, I would think that you wanna know what is your total net wheel horse power/ torque are by having the AWD system running normal since its how you will be driving in regular road/track conditions. I would just take it to a AWD dyno, and do what Lucky said, turn off DSTC and run in Advance mode.

·
Registered
528 Posts
like whats the point of doing a dyno on FWD mode only? I mean, I would think that you wanna know what is your total net wheel horse power/ torque are by having the AWD system running normal since its how you will be driving in regular road/track conditions.
Sure, if that is what you are looking for. But for me, my goal was to have a more accurate idea of how much my mods will increased horsepower at the engine. Since I didn't want to pull the entire engine, running in FWD mode at least reduces the number of variables that you have to account for in calculating crank HP from a chassis dyno. Especially on an AWD car like ours where the power distribution is electronically controlled and may decide to apply power the wheels differently on different pulls depending on sensor readings (that I as I mentioned above have freaked out for some people when on a dyno).

Also, I found out later that my angle gear collar sleeve was stripped, so even if I had wanted to run AWD that day, I would have found out very quickly that my rear wheels weren't doing a damn thing.

I would just take it to a AWD dyno, and do what Lucky said, turn off DSTC and run in Advance mode.
Yep, if you're looking for rubber-meets-the-road, that's the way to do it. +1

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also, I found out later that my angle gear collar sleeve was stripped, so even if I had wanted to run AWD that day, I would have found out very quickly that my rear wheels weren't doing a damn thing.
Stripped collar sleeve...no fun!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts